Time For More Regulation Of Fixtures? Icc Where Are You?

Richard the Third

BigCricket Administrator
The Ashes was great (helped by an England win) but the one day series which has followed is dire. 7 games is at least two too many and it serves little purpose. Isn't it time that the ICC stepped in and regulated the fixtures so that all teams get a similar amount of game and to stop the likes of India, England, Australia playing limited over series which seem to go on forever.

As I see it there are 9 (10 if you include Zimbabwe who are surely soon to given test status again) countries who play tests and therefore need accommodating. With teams playing home and away that means each test country needs to play 16 series over the period set out by the ICC. Breaking that down further it equates to 4 series per year with tests and limited over games. Even with Zimbabwe back in the fold it only means adding in another 2 series which isn't a massive hassle.

England already play 4 series a year (2 in their summer and 2 elsewhere), however the balance is wrong. It's made even worse by the mind numbing one day series which stretch out over 4-6 weeks. Get them down to 5 game series at the most and played out within 15 days. That gives a day to play, day to travel, day to train. Hell, go to 20 days and they can have a day to play, day to travel, day to rest and day to train. Better still keep games at the same venue or at venues nearby to reduce travel.

For me, the logical breakdown in all of this would be all test series to be 3 tests minimum with marquee series given 5. T20 games given 2 fixtures to be played on same day, one early afternoon, one evening (or on consecutive days with a female or associate fixture taking the early slot). Then a one day series of 3 games to a maximum of 5. This would therefore mean a minimum of 20 days cricket up to a maximum of 32 days for the marquee series. Giving the players extra rest between the tests would be more beneficial than extended time between limited over games.

Overall, I reckon that even in a year packed with marquee series (which is unlikely to occur as there are few that would need 5) at most there would need to be 200 days given over to international cricket, including rest periods. This leaves around 160 days to fit in ICL, world cups (which also needs to be compacted) and domestic games. The 200 is a worst case figure which in reality would be closer to 160 thus making series compacted enough to retain interest, allowing rest for players and giving time for other events.

Thoughts?

Yeah the current 7 game series down here is too long but I think they are just being greedy with the popularity of England. 3 games at the start of the summer and 5 towards the end is probably about right for the Australian season imo.

That is the crux of the matter, cash. It wouldn't be so bad if the games were closer together. The current series started on the 16th of Jan and it is now February. Whilst 21 days is not the worst it still seems a very long time.

They're trying to maximise thre amount of cash they make by having games on more favourable days. So games on Friday Nights and Sunday Night have become normal and there was only one game during the middle of the week that wasn't a public holiday here.

It's all about the dollars I'm afraid. Seven games is too long but I'm more than happy to watch more cricket if it's there to be watched.

Money is the central point of most cricket boards these days. CA have seen the success that the IPL have had and hence are very keen to create their own T20 franchise league. It's the same with tests and ODI's. Australia played seven tests this summer, 10 ODI's and a few T20 games plus players playing some domestic games inbetween for those players who were looking for form.

That's a lot of cricket and it's purely aimed at making money as the Australian public love cricket and will watch it. The Perth ODI was a total dead rubber yet the game was still sold out and the other games were pretty well attended.

Unfortunately with the rise of T20, the market is being saturated with more games. The ICC won't do anything as they make money off it and simply don't care.

yes i am agree with your statement 100 percent and i hope icc will stress on this matter is well if they want to promote the Cricket Game in all over the world then they should go in the world i also says them where are they ?

We have been overdoing one day international cricket down here in OZ for a few years now. The game has lost popularity and must share it's cut of the market with 20/20 that also saw a drop in popularity this year. Money is very important to cricket boards. Players are demanding more and more as well the venues are becoming more expensive to build and service. With the problems that Pakistan and West Indies have with their players discontent it is important to keep our game financially strong.
Overall i agree though, we play too much ODI and 5 would do it. Apparently we have a return to the Tri series coming here which is bound to fail. Test cricket is also over booked. The 5 test series with England and India that we play are a bit much in the current environment and are about money. If the competition is to be equal all countries should play each other over the same amount of tests in the same time period. This would reduce Aus/Eng encounters to three tests, this will not please the purists but we could always keep our home and away series back to back and play for the ashs over six tests home and away.

What concerns me as much as anything else is that the number of tests played by each team are not equal. At the moment the big four of England, Australia, India and South Africa get the lion's share, with anything up to 14 tests per year. Compare that we the likes of New Zealand, Sri Lanka and the West Indies. It is as much about creating a level playing field where all countries have equal chances as it is about reducing fixtures.

Money is the central point of most cricket boards these days. CA have seen the success that the IPL have had and hence are very keen to create their own T20 franchise league.

I'm so hoping that this stupid competition falls through or fails.

I'm so hoping that this stupid competition falls through or fails.

Not sure at this point, my guess is it will probably be well attended. I'm hoping that the Ryobi Cup will go back to 50-overs a side. It's fair to say that this 45-over split method has been pretty pathetic.

Yeah it is absolutely. Every side played an extra match this season and CA introduced a preliminary final for the 2009/10 tournament which was continued into this season's edition.

CA has made the Big Bash number one and it will be number even more next season when the APL starts. It could be a huge rival to the IPL if it really gets going in my opinion. CA have already cut the amount of Ryobi Cup matches for next season from 10 to 8 and have even hinted at starting the Sheffield Shield in late September to accomodate more T20 matches. It's only going to go one way I think.

I get the feeling that the Big Bash is your number one competition at the moment. If not, it is at least where the main focus is.

It is very well attended, crowds probably average around 20k. I'm not that fussed abound the format at international level but really enjoy the domestic Big Bash, even made a trip up from the country this summer just to get to a game.

Back