Toes

jimmy33

Toes

I was wondering what you guys use to protect the toes of your bats. i heard that 'Shoe-Goo' works well but it needs a mould.

Re: Toes

Choices are to do nothing, apply a light coat of oil to help stop the damp getting in, a toe guard or some other barrier method such as shoe-goo.

The main reason for doing something to the toe is to stop moisture getting into it and causing swell but the toe guard can also provide a small amount of protection against cracking etc.

yeah, the reason i am reluctant to use toe guards is that they catch when you try to slide the bat, that and shoe goo got recommended

Sounds like it may have been a poorly fitted guard if it's catching when trying to slide the bat.

It only needs to over the very base of the toe and not come up over the edges etc.

no these were from one fitted by the company. thats the reason most international player wont use them.

I'd say that the reason international players don't use them is that they have no need to. They really serve very little purpose except for preventing moisture from entering the toe and have no effect on performance in any way.

I've never had a problem in sliding bats that I've applied a toe guard to and neither have I ever had any complaints from customers. I guess they are using a different material.

i have used toe guards but never had any problem sliding in the bat unless the playing surface is bad. i use them for safety as i dont want to take any chances with my bat. international players probably dont use them because they dont play with a single bat for too long.

I always hate when my bat gets damp at the bottom but I never thought of using a toe guard. The bottom of my old bat looks ugly because of damage due to moisture and it is also a little soft. But it had no effect when batting because the ball hardly hits it there. The new bat I got came with a toe guard and I am happy because I dont want it to look bad like the previous bat. I never have problems with the toe guard when sliding the bat. Infact sometimes my old bat got stuck because it became very rough at the bottom.

toe gaurds will catch if the havnt been moulded to the shape of the bat.. e.g. still sqaure edges...

shoe goo works wonders 4 me... doesnt give me grief when sliding in..... only problem is u have 2 re-apply every couple of weeks... especially if ur a nerveous tapper....

i always use a toe guard
it has never affected the sliding off the bat
i reccomend the use of a toe guard for people that want there bat to have a long life span

kizza said:
i reccomend the use of a toe guard for people that want there bat to have a long life span

From someone who makes bats I really disagree. Toe guards are a gimmick, like pre-knocked in bats.

There are used primarily to stop damp from getting into the bat (yes, they do provide a small amount of protection but it's hardly worth anything), but if you live in a 'dry' country then there really is no need.

The key to getting a bat to survive for a decent amount of time is too look after it well. Preparing it correctly is the key thing, put the work in before and you'll be rewarded.

Well from my experience toe guards catch, and livivng in a dry country there isnt a lot of risk in moisture getting into the toe, but just in case, i put a layer of shoe goo to the bottom. saves me from having to spend my money on a toe guard

jimmy33 said:
Well from my experience toe guards catch, and livivng in a dry country there isnt a lot of risk in moisture getting into the toe, but just in case, i put a layer of shoe goo to the bottom. saves me from having to spend my money on a toe guard

Further to what I said about toe guards, I'd also say that putting anything on them is a waste of time, whether it's leather, shoo-goo or anything else. That's just my personal view.

I truly think toe guards are an industry inspired gimmick, much like pre-knocked in bats or different types of grips. It's a simple way to 'value add' to the product.

Also, I've never heard anyone complain about catching\sticking before but I'll keep an eye out. May even try to replicate it, if it does happen then I guess it's better to have first hand experience of it.

They catch on the artificial pitches if you slide the bat the a specific direction, because of the way the astro turf is made

That may the crust of it there - I think in about 20 years of playing cricket I've only ever played on artificial wickets 3 or 4 times, mostly back at school.

Yeah that would be it, and in all my time of playing cricket ive only ever batted on a turf pitch once and that wasnt a game

Back