Top 5 test pace bowlers at the moment?

Re: Top 5 test pace bowlers at the moment?

I agree with you MC, but today we saw something different from Lee. He was rolling his fingers to bowl a Leg cutter, and only got one wicket but nearly had 3, it certainly worked for him and he got a little bit of pace back 143km/h +.

If he can keep this adjusting up he may prolong his career a few years longer, Id like to see him do this more often but I don't know whether he will.

D.K;296741 said:
Might be harsh but I reckon that Lee is past it. ONly 12 months ago he was up there as the number 1 paceman, now struggles to get it up over 145. That is how he got his wickets, with the pace. hardly moves it.

mas cambios;296746 said:
To move off topic for a post and talk about Lee.

It seems that age (and possibly previous injuries) is catching up with him, hence the reduction in top speed (and being able to sustain it for any length of time). As others have said pace is his main weapon; without it he is nothing more than a decent bowler.

You'd have thought that he'd be working on moving the ball both in the air and off the seam as this would be really effective at his current pace and more than likely prolong his career a good few years. The difference between Lee and the true great fast men is that the greats adapted their bowling as they got older, Lee hasn't done that for me at the moment.

His wife leaving him wouldn't have helped either. I think he needs to given some more time to assess where he's really at. The breakdown of his marriage was rather public and it has obviously had an effect on his performances (which it generally would with any player). This all happened immediately before the tour of India began so it wasn't at a great time for him.

Lee's only had one bad series and the series against South Africa is not even a test old. Writing him off after small period of downturn is a little harsh.

My order would be this:

1. Steyn
2. Zaheer Khan
3. Ntini
4. Johnson
5. O'Brien

I don't rate Sharma. O'Brien's last 30 wickets have cost 20.47 (20.4666 recurring) per wicket.

D.K;296741 said:
Might be harsh but I reckon that Lee is past it. ONly 12 months ago he was up there as the number 1 paceman, now struggles to get it up over 145. That is how he got his wickets, with the pace. hardly moves it.

mas cambios;296746 said:

It seems that age (and possibly previous injuries) is catching up with him, hence the reduction in top speed (and being able to sustain it for any length of time). As others have said pace is his main weapon; without it he is nothing more than a decent bowler.

You'd have thought that he'd be working on moving the ball both in the air and off the seam as this would be really effective at his current pace and more than likely prolong his career a good few years. The difference between Lee and the true great fast men is that the greats adapted their bowling as they got older, Lee hasn't done that for me at the moment.

His wife leaving him wouldn't have helped either. I think he needs to given some more time to assess where he's really at. The breakdown of his marriage was rather public and it has obviously had an effect on his performances (which it generally would with any player). This all happened immediately before the tour of India began so it wasn't at a great time for him.

Lee's only had one bad series and the series against South Africa is not even a test old. Writing him off after small period of downturn is a little harsh.

My order would be this:

1. Steyn
2. Zaheer Khan
3. Ntini
4. Johnson
5. O'Brien

I don't rate Sharma. O'Brien's last 30 wickets have cost 20.47 (20.4666 recurring) per wicket.

mas cambios;296746 said:

Don't forget that he's had a tough time lately. That can have a big impact on his life. He has to look after his son by himself now without his wife.... In other words you are barking up the wrong tree with Lee.
It is known that Brett Lee had a marriage break up during the year. If you don't believe that then I suggest that you go and get a copy of the ABC Cricket Magazine because there is a great article on Brett Lee and why he is going through such a tough time....

Now back on topic.

My top 5 test bowlers at the moment
1. Lee
2. Johnson
3. Khan
4. Singh
5. Flintoff

To be honest, I would replace Clark and Ntini with Khan and Flintoff. For those two players, you really have to look passed stats. Flintoff is probably the most unlucky bowler in international cricket at the moment, but he does pick up team wickets (like the Yuvraj dismissal in the first Test). Khan is easily the greatest exponent of reverse swing in the modern game. Whenever he comes back on in about the 40th over, runs dry up and pressure builds. Although he has an average of over 30, he is so much better than that.

Just my thoughts.

Yepp I agree Flintoff in at number five and Khan in there somewhere.

Ntini and Clark/Johnson get the boot for me.

Even though i haven't seen Flintoff to much lately...
i still rate Ntini n Clark much more than him.
Watching Ntini in the recent test match...
he got to speeds around the 150km/h
he uses the angles of the crease,(staying wide of the pitch or coming in)
and he gets alot of bounce(mybe that was the WACA pitch,not sure)

And Stuart Clark...
he stays on the same consistent line n length
rarely does he bowl a bad ball
around the 135 km/h mark
and can get some inswing along with the line n length...

I would be taking Johnson out of all the lists for other such as:
Khan
Southee
Sidebottom
Ntini
Morkel
Vaas
Malinga
Kallis

who I rate higher than Johnson. I think the 11 wicket thing has really boosted his popularity i know it is not every day you take 11 wickets and he bowled well but I still rate these guys higher until Johnson can produce more good performances.

Binga's biggest issue is the amount of weight he lost over in India. In all honesty, I can't believe he played the New Zealand series, and can't believe the selectors lacked so much foresight that they picked him for the saffers series. No FAST bowler (emphasis on the FAST) can lose 7 kilos in the space of two weeks, and remain effective. Just look at the poor ************ - while he's never been thick, he's lost a good lot of the muscle around his hips and butt. Again, no FAST bowler can bowl fast continually and effectively throughout a day if they've lost their strength platform. No surprise that his foot has flared up either. Binga needs time off months of cricket to put on all the weight he lost, get his foot right, and then get back into bowling. He'll be a force again IF he's managed right.

I really don't think there are 5 consistently fantastic international bowlers right at this minute though. Mitch, Steyn and Zaheer are far and away the stand outs - I feel Sidebums been forgotten about a little as he was tearing it up before his injury. That said, there are some REALLY exciting potential bowlers.

Peter Siddle will dominate as soon as he works out how to consistently bowl like he did on the second day at the MCG. Although he's now 26/27, Mitchy J still has a lot of improving to do, and could actually turn himself into a genuine allrounder (i.e. batting average better than bowling average). Tim Southee could be mind boggling good. Stuart Broad is good but lacks a little pace. But all up, Ishant is the best prospect - he could be a low 20s average match destroyer.

my list

1. Dale Steyn
2. Zaheer Khan
3. Mitchell Johnson
4. Inshant Sharma
5. Andrew Flintoff

(Based on current form)

my list:
1. Dale Steyn
2. Makhaya Ntini
3. Mitchell Johnson
4. Ishant Sharma

Steyn
Khan
Clark
Sidebottom
Johnson/Sharma/Ntini (all have good and bad spells)

grapedo;299189 said:
I would be taking Johnson out of all the lists for other such as:
Khan
Southee
Sidebottom
Ntini
Morkel
Vaas
Malinga
Kallis

who I rate higher than Johnson. I think the 11 wicket thing has really boosted his popularity i know it is not every day you take 11 wickets and he bowled well but I still rate these guys higher until Johnson can produce more good performances.

How can you seriously take out Johnson. The guy is only 2nd to Steyn in wickets taken, has a very healthy average of 27 and is carrying a pheonominal amount of pressure on his shoulders with AUssies ageing and crumbling pace attack.

Lets break it down for you via some stats and the fact that this thread is about currently the best 5 pace bowlers.

Kallis 28 wickets can't be considered in the list as he is a 2nd/3rd change bowler, medium pace.

Ntini has a strong case with 52 wickets but then again Brett Lee has taken 50 wickets from 2 less tests and people are no way including them at the moment.

Sidebottom has a strong case *47 wickets from only 8 tests* but then again he is now injured? or hasn't played for a little bit of time.

Khan........please........9 tests, 27 wickets @ 36......that is rubbish even if he has to toil away on the Indian pitches.

Malinga, Vaas and Southee aren't any where near the top of the list and shouldn't even factor into people's thoughts.

But ehy its only personal opinion and people see cricket different.

I don't care whether Johnson takes 20 wickets in a test I don't rate him.

Alot of wickets are half volleys that are angled across the right hander and an edge to the slips.

As soon as teams work out his bowling style he is gooooone ! but until then you just enjoy him taking wickets off half volleys.

How has he gone after the perth test ... yeah not that well.

And in the litte cricket Sri Lanka played last year Vaas took 20 wickets @ 28.20 you can't say that is poor.

grapedo;303655 said:
I don't care whether Johnson takes 20 wickets in a test I don't rate him.

Alot of wickets are half volleys that are angled across the right hander and an edge to the slips.

As soon as teams work out his bowling style he is gooooone ! but until then you just enjoy him taking wickets off half volleys.

How has he gone after the perth test ... yeah not that well.

And in the litte cricket Sri Lanka played last year Vaas took 20 wickets @ 28.20 you can't say that is poor.

When JOhnson took his 8 wickets this is how he got them:

McKenzie - done for pace, short outside off and pulls the ball to mid-off

Smith - Chopped on

Kallis and AB - were both fooled into a ball, back of a length that they had to come forward to. Ball was angling across them as well. Nowhere near a half volley

Dumminy - unlucky to be given out but did him for pace and bounce

Morkel - fooled by a slower ball, spooned the catch to mid off

Harris - tried clipping one of the hip

Can't remember Steyn dismissal.

I would say that only 2 out of his 8 wickets were half volleys or close to.

Then in Melbourne he carried the Australian attack bowling nearly 40 overs in a match that South Africa clearly dominated from the end of day 2.

D.K;303816 said:
When JOhnson took his 8 wickets this is how he got them:

McKenzie - done for pace, short outside off and pulls the ball to mid-off

Smith - Chopped on

Kallis and AB - were both fooled into a ball, back of a length that they had to come forward to. Ball was angling across them as well. Nowhere near a half volley

Dumminy - unlucky to be given out but did him for pace and bounce

Morkel - fooled by a slower ball, spooned the catch to mid off

Harris - tried clipping one of the hip

Can't remember Steyn dismissal.

I would say that only 2 out of his 8 wickets were half volleys or close to.

Then in Melbourne he carried the Australian attack bowling nearly 40 overs in a match that South Africa clearly dominated from the end of day 2.

The only ones he can take credit for is Kallis and De Villiers. The South African tail can be bowled out by anyone it isn't a very good one.
None of the other wickets he took were good bowling apart from Dumihy but that was a dodgy decision.

Back