Top 5 test pace bowlers at the moment?

Re: Top 5 test pace bowlers at the moment?

Same thing could be said of Steyn.

When batsmen "work him out" he'll get dropped.

Load of nonsense.

Wonder why the SAffers havent worked out MJ yet? Ordinary batsmen with a bit of luck? Ridiculous.

Biggie;304936 said:
Same thing could be said of Steyn.

When batsmen "work him out" he'll get dropped.

Load of nonsense.

Wonder why the SAffers havent worked out MJ yet? Ordinary batsmen with a bit of luck? Ridiculous.

Biggie with the bucket ;)

Grapedo 0 - Biggie 1

thommy_rissole;304930 said:
Or a Sth African deck which offers a little for the seamers, although maybe Sth Africa might have "worked him out" by then, hey grapedo :eek:

haha :D

No Unfortunatley South African pitches offer great assistance for seamers mate.

grapedo;304965 said:
haha :D

No Unfortunatley South African pitches offer great assistance for seamers mate.

South African decks offer more assistance than Australian wickets do to the seamers.
Look at last time Stu Clark was there, moved it around everywhere.

Ps: Your quoted sentence makes no sense.

Mate, watch Mitchell Johnson bowl. He bowls beautiful cutters, usually has a great line and bowls a brilliant slower ball... like Biggie said I think your dislike of him is clouding your judgement. He is a fantastic bowler, with a more than handy ability to bat.

Mousey;305075 said:
Mate, watch Mitchell Johnson bowl. He bowls beautiful cutters, usually has a great line and bowls a brilliant slower ball... like Biggie said I think your dislike of him is clouding your judgement. He is a fantastic bowler, with a more than handy ability to bat.

Just believe it when you see it okay.

End of story. :)

No offence grapedo but u r a clown a bloke that can make 60 odd on a tough pitch against probably th 2nd best side in the world as a bowler can bat.Mitchell johnson on his day i believe would be more value to a side than any other bowler in world cricket on a sth african pitch maybe excluding S.Clark and he is a great square cutter of the ball OPINIONS

Okay whatever.

When the time does come that he isn't what everone thought he was I will be sure to start a thread about it.

grapedo;305273 said:
Okay whatever.

When the time does come that he isn't what everone thought he was I will be sure to start a thread about it.
We wait with baited breath...

grapedo;305273 said:
Okay whatever.

Should we do the same when that happens to Steyn then? Because if Johnson is going to be worked out then surely Steyn will too. Right?

Mousey;305292 said:
Should we do the same when that happens to Steyn then? Because if Johnson is going to be worked out then surely Steyn will too. Right?

No Becuause Johnson gets wickets off half volleys where as Steyn can pitch the ball on leg and swing it back to hit the top of off feel free to but I think batsman are going to work out how to play half volleys quicker than swinging gems.

grapedo;305425 said:
No Becuause Johnson gets wickets off half volleys where as Steyn can pitch the ball on leg and swing it back to hit the top of off feel free to but I think batsman are going to work out how to play half volleys quicker than swinging gems.

Cricket's been around for over a 100 years, surely they would've worked out how to hit Johnson's half volleys before he burst on the scene?

You have no idea grapedo.

Lets not get too carried away with poo-Steyn's figures either.
Steyn played 2 tests against W.Indies and 4 against Bangladesh.
Take out Shivnarine and Gayle and they're all club standard batsmen.

thommy_rissole;305433 said:
Cricket's been around for over a 100 years, surely they would've worked out how to hit Johnson's half volleys before he burst on the scene?

You have no idea grapedo.

Lets not get too carried away with poo-Steyn's figures either.
Steyn played 2 tests against W.Indies and 4 against Bangladesh.
Take out Shivnarine and Gayle and they're all club standard batsmen.

again here we go:
Steyn v the world:
V Australia - 18 wickets @ 26.16
V Bangladesh - 22 wickets @ 17.18
V India - 21 wickets @ 18.61 (no club level batsman there)
V New Zealand 20 wickets @ 9.20
V Pakistan 13 wickets @ 23.76 (hmm not many club level batsman)
V West Indies - 15 wickest @ 12.93

So he has performed well against everyone so he is a world class bowler
Johnson:
V India - 29 wickets @ 36.24 (oh dear)
V New Zealand - 14 wickets @ 11.00
V South Africa - 15 wickets @ 28.40
V Sri Lanka - 8 wickets @ 30.12

So he has really cashed in against New Zealand who are club level batsman.
Everyone else hasn't had problems.
I think you have your bowlers mixed up mate.

grapedo;305446 said:
again here we go:
Steyn v the world:
V Australia - 18 wickets @ 26.16
V Bangladesh - 22 wickets @ 17.18
V India - 21 wickets @ 18.61 (no club level batsman there)
V New Zealand 20 wickets @ 9.20
V Pakistan 13 wickets @ 23.76 (hmm not many club level batsman)
V West Indies - 15 wickest @ 12.93

So he has performed well against everyone so he is a world class bowler
Johnson:
V India - 29 wickets @ 36.24 (oh dear)
V New Zealand - 14 wickets @ 11.00
V South Africa - 15 wickets @ 28.40
V Sri Lanka - 8 wickets @ 30.12

So he has really cashed in against New Zealand who are club level batsman.
Everyone else hasn't had problems.
I think you have your bowlers mixed up mate.

Firstly we're not mates.
Secondly i thought we were referring to 2008.
Thirdly i'm not saying Steyn isn't a good bowler because we all know he is, i was reinforcing my point that Mitchell Johnson is also a good bowler.

Here is their breakdown of 2008 wickets. Steyn has a better strikerate and average per wicket. Steyn's preferred team was Bangladesh with 22 wickets, Johnson's was India with 26 wickets.

Steyn 2008: Wickets (74)
West Indies (15)
Bangladesh (22)
India (15)
England (8)
Australia (14)

Johsnon 2008: Wickets (63)
India (26)
West Indies (10)
New Zealand (14)
Sth Africa (13)

thommy_rissole;305461 said:
Firstly we're not mates.
Secondly i thought we were referring to 2008.
Thirdly i'm not saying Steyn isn't a good bowler because we all know he is, i was reinforcing my point that Mitchell Johnson is also a good bowler.

Here is their breakdown of 2008 wickets. Steyn has a better strikerate and average per wicket. Steyn's preferred team was Bangladesh with 22 wickets, Johnson's was India with 26 wickets.

Steyn 2008: Wickets (74)
West Indies (15)
Bangladesh (22)
India (15)
England (8)
Australia (14)

Johsnon 2008: Wickets (63)
India (26)
West Indies (10)
New Zealand (14)
Sth Africa (13)
I don't think you were refeering to 2008 because South Africa only played 1 test against the West indies in 08.

And no Johnson's preferres team would not be india because look at his average against them.

What I am saying is you think Steyn has only performed against minnows when he has performed well against every side and Johnson has only bowled well against New Zealand and that is it.

grapedo, Steyn is a very good bowler and so is Johnson. Stats can be interpreted to reach any conclusion you want, making this entire argument frivolous. You're not going to convince anyone the worlds batsmen are going to wake up one day and suddenly have the ability to hit Johnson around at will.

grapedo;305472 said:
I don't think you were refeering to 2008 because South Africa only played 1 test against the West indies in 08.

And no Johnson's preferres team would not be india because look at his average against them.

What I am saying is you think Steyn has only performed against minnows when he has performed well against every side and Johnson has only bowled well against New Zealand and that is it.

EPIC FAIL :eek: South Africa have played 2 Tests against West Indies in 2008.
Cricinfo - 2nd Test: South Africa v West Indies at Cape Town, Jan 2-5, 2008
Cricinfo - 3rd Test: South Africa v West Indies at Durban, Jan 10-12, 2008

So should we dis-credit Johnson's 63 Test wickets in 08 because he "only bowled well against New Zealand"? :rolleyes:
On that basis we should dis-credit Steyn's 74 Test wickets in 08 becuase "he got the majority of his wickets against Bangladesh".

I know we don't see eye-to-eye, i have admitted Steyn is a good bowler, i'm not denying that. For you to say Johnson is no good because he bowls "shit half volleys" is ludacris. I've given you his stats and there is no doubt he is in the top 5 quick bowlers in the world at the moment and to say they will work him out soon and he will get dropped is unjust.

Also Grapedo, even IF he did bowl "shit half volleys" he's taken 63 wickets bowling them. I don't care how he bowls it, he's taken 63 wickets. I'm not admitting he does bowl crap, he bowls excellently and has many tricks, but if you take 63 wickets in a calendar year at Test level your obviously good.

thommy_rissole;305486 said:
EPIC FAIL :eek: South Africa have played 2 Tests against West Indies in 2008.
Cricinfo - 2nd Test: South Africa v West Indies at Cape Town, Jan 2-5, 2008
Cricinfo - 3rd Test: South Africa v West Indies at Durban, Jan 10-12, 2008

So should we dis-credit Johnson's 63 Test wickets in 08 because he "only bowled well against New Zealand"? :rolleyes:
On that basis we should dis-credit Steyn's 74 Test wickets in 08 becuase "he got the majority of his wickets against Bangladesh".

I know we don't see eye-to-eye, i have admitted Steyn is a good bowler, i'm not denying that. For you to say Johnson is no good because he bowls "shit half volleys" is ludacris. I've given you his stats and there is no doubt he is in the top 5 quick bowlers in the world at the moment and to say they will work him out soon and he will get dropped is unjust.
22 out of 74 is not a majority.

Back