Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Interesting to see all those players wanting to go to hawthorn. Should all strengthen their lower IX's. As apart from one have had little impact in the higher grades. Hoogenboom if at a stronger club probably wouldnt have played firsts yet!!

bud;230648 said:
Interesting to see all those players wanting to go to hawthorn. Should all strengthen their lower IX's. As apart from one have had little impact in the higher grades. Hoogenboom if at a stronger club probably wouldnt have played firsts yet!!
Owen has a 30+ wicket year in 1st XI cricket to his name as well.
Guru™;230613 said:
Interesting to see Vance and Herrick both refused. What are the usual reason for a refusal?

If they choose not to go back to a premier cricket their only option would be local club cricket I'm guessing
In a young player's, such as Vance, case, it usually is because the club feels aggrieved that they have invested time in the player, only for him to leave when he's ready to mature and be ready for higher grades of cricket.

The refusal comes from the club. At this point, it goes to the Pennant Committee, who usually rule in favour of the player. The club need to have mitigating circumstances for the refusal to be upheld.

Robbo;230343 said:
Some Richmond news

They have picked up Sussex batsmen Chris Nash also McDonald from Footscray Edgewatwer.

Their country round game is likely to be played at Barooga,NSW as a Day/Night game.

It is also likely this will be the club's final season at Punt Road Oval with a likely move to Collingwood's Victoria Park for 2009/10 season.
McDonald as in Brenton McDonald, from Footscray? Not Dale McDonald, formerly of Footscray, now at NM?

Was the move of ground part of the deal to keep Fekete at Punt Road?

Cutting Half Volleys;230687 said:
Owen has a 30+ wicket year in 1st XI cricket to his name as well.

In a young player's, such as Vance, case, it usually is because the club feels aggrieved that they have invested time in the player, only for him to leave when he's ready to mature and be ready for higher grades of cricket.

The refusal comes from the club. At this point, it goes to the Pennant Committee, who usually rule in favour of the player. The club need to have mitigating circumstances for the refusal to be upheld.

McDonald as in Brenton McDonald, from Footscray? Not Dale McDonald, formerly of Footscray, now at NM?

Was the move of ground part of the deal to keep Fekete at Punt Road?

It is hard to see where both owen and hoogenboom will play in the 1st eleven for hawthorn this year with the bowling of sillence, spoljaric, hewat and miller and then put in dart... also owen had a pretty hard time of it last season with the lions and that was even when they had there injuries.....

In regards to McDonald, it is the one from footscray as i beleive that he may not have been impressed with being left out for the doggies quarter final match against uni... Dale McDonald is now captain of noth melbourne and lindsey scown is his vice captain... still wont help them get off the bottom of the ladder tho....

Here's a question up for debate.

Who are the best batters and bowlers in Premier Cricket (outside the state squad contracted list) who could step up and play at the next level this year?

Being realistic of course. For example, Michael King took 50 wickets last year, but I couldn't see him getting a game as a bowler at the next level, Trent Walerys and Andrew Dickinson are also in the same boat, age has probably got the better of those two though...

Obviously taking into account form, timing, injuries, etc with the Bushrangers.

i think that sam wiese from frankston has the ability to go to the next level its just the way he applies himself and how he preforms over the next few season... very good wicket keeper batsman..

With that question asked about players outside the contracted ones, i would say that apart from Nannes, there are no other left arm bowlers in the squad now that Wise has left. if Nanees breaks down again is there any good lefties because that might be the a big issue if blokes are level pegged on ability to fill certain roles in the state team. i cant think of any really to take that next step. Asfor RH bowlers, Nick Austin could be a good option and should be ready to take the next step. Batting wise, i think it could be a big season for Hilly if he works hard enough. i know he has a contract but hasn't had the opportunity yet.

Nick Austin bowls a little better with his left arm than right, from what I've seen.

Guess the best place to look for blokes outside the state squad is in the Academy thing they have going.

Ash Perera has good 2nd XI form from last year with the ACT. Fekete and Fagg are proven 2nd XI performers. Batting wise, throw Dickson in there; training with the state squad this year. Maybe Clingleffer (sp) could come in from outside the squad as well.

Nick Ellsmore from Melb Uni good young bloke in that academy squad bowls heat and very handy with the bat as well got a 70 odd last year batting down at 7 or 8

Goodwin;230869 said:
i think that sam wiese from frankston has the ability to go to the next level its just the way he applies himself and how he preforms over the next few season... very good wicket keeper batsman..

I agree with your opinion re: sam wiese saw him make 112no a couple of years ago in a final against st kilda, he also is very sharp in the field.

inthespirit;230885 said:
With that question asked about players outside the contracted ones, i would say that apart from Nannes, there are no other left arm bowlers in the squad now that Wise has left. if Nanees breaks down again is there any good lefties because that might be the a big issue if blokes are level pegged on ability to fill certain roles in the state team. i cant think of any really to take that next step. Asfor RH bowlers, Nick Austin could be a good option and should be ready to take the next step. Batting wise, i think it could be a big season for Hilly if he works hard enough. i know he has a contract but hasn't had the opportunity yet.

I tend to agree, from what I've seen Austin works hard and has been pretty consistent for a number of years now. Would be a ready made replacement should Nannes go down and deserves a chance.

Someone mentioned Dickinson but as I said before, although he took 50 wickets last year his pace has dropped dramatically and would not be an option at the next level. Ellesmore does look alright but would like to see how he backs up again this year first.

Carson from Geelong might be handy back up if a McKay or Siddle went down from a RA perspective. Took a bundle of wickets last year and like Austin is a ready made replacement.

From the batters would like to see Dickson get a chance if form warranted it. Has a great temperament for the longer version of the game and a good range of shots. Doesn't seem to get phased by quick bowling either. Not sure who else could step up from a batting point of view, maybe Tom Stray or Simon Hill?

Also like the look of Fagg from Fitz-Donc if he can get his body right and stay on the park. Another RA bowler that might be useful back up.

Any teams looking for Sponsorship please private message me.

My company is a Telecommunications that sell Mobiles, 1300/1800 and business phones.

I am looking to sponsor a few cricket clubs.

why are hawthorn picking up so many players this season ... and are any of them good enough to play in the firsts cos i have played against a few of them and they arent so i cant see why they would move to a stronger club like hawthorn..

Goodwin;232767 said:
why are hawthorn picking up so many players this season ... and are any of them good enough to play in the firsts cos i have played against a few of them and they arent so i cant see why they would move to a stronger club like hawthorn..

The lure of success, players with good ability improve others around them. Good coaching set up, plenty of reasons Goodwin.

What's been happening around the traps? Any news on Pro players at each club?

hey guys,
just wondering about the progress of an old mate, Steve Gilmour plays at Ringwood. Heard he went alright last year but have also heard that his picked up a yard or two.
cheers

Back