Victorian Premier Cricket 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 09/10

Just quietly it was good to see the boys from Hawthorn Monash notch up their first win of the season. Was a good win at that, knocking off a full strength Richmond side (minus C. White, but he isnt exactly Richmond CC is he?) The boys from Richmond sounded like they talked a good game, ( what i could hear from the sidelines) but couldn't back it up.

There was a lot of talk earlier on the forum about how they would not win a game at all this season and they have proved a lot of people wrong already. The two day game will suit there play and people should expect to see a few more wins for the boys. Speant many a year at the club and even though they may not be as strong in previous years its a good club to be around without the many individuals running the place.

Wight is showing his worth after moving across from ACT, (much better cricketer and bloke than Will Sherridan and Ryan Carters may I add) And Tormey is finally coming of age and proving himself. Karageourgio is chipping away and finally got the runs and confidence he needed this weekend.

The boys will win wore games from now on and will definately not be taking home the wooden spoon this season. Few more wins and they're looking at a top 8 spot.... You can only dream cant you????

Surely Evan Gulbis has to get a look in for Victoria with yet another hundred on the weekend showing he can do it in the longer form of the game as well.
I realise Finch got runs on the weekend for the Vics and Hill is seen as the golden boy but surely Gulbis must be mounting a case.

Young Willi Lad;374377 said:
Surely Evan Gulbis has to get a look in for Victoria with yet another hundred on the weekend showing he can do it in the longer form of the game as well.
I realise Finch got runs on the weekend for the Vics and Hill is seen as the golden boy but surely Gulbis must be mounting a case.

here here..........:eek:

definitley knocking on the door. Going to be hard to deny if he keeps making hundreds.

No doubt selectors are looking!

Hmm, you'd think Gulbis would sneak in for a Futures League game if he were really in the minds of the selectors.

To put it in perspective, he'd still have Quiney, Mash, Finch, Hill and Blizzard to get in front of before he got a game, once Hodge returns from his hamstring. It would be super surprising if he got a game this year, best result is some sort of contract next year, maybe in another state.

Any chance of the Hawks going back to back with a win against Footscray on Saturday?

five80;375990 said:
Any chance of the Hawks going back to back with a win against Footscray on Saturday?

They are a fair chance to do so considering there good win against the tigers..

I think alot of the runs will probably have to come off the bat of tormey..

five80;375990 said:

excellent chance I'd say. If they dont win they ought to be bloody disappointed with themselves.

dougie05;376093 said:
Fair to say that tom brain should stick to pushing paper then making comments..

lol tom brain
surely no matter who u are or who the bowlers are, u bat the day, you're a good chance of getting 1.4 an over on a good deck lol

Pele;376172 said:
Mash shouldnt be in that queue
Mash has probably the best record of all those players in 2nd XI cricket, with two double centuries to his name. I'd be backing him to make more runs against first class attacks than the likes of Gulbis, or any other non-contracted player.

Barry Dawson;376193 said:
Mash has probably the best record of all those players in 2nd XI cricket, with two double centuries to his name. I'd be backing him to make more runs against first class attacks than the likes of Gulbis, or any other non-contracted player.

Have to disagree Barry.

Firstly let me say that I am not pushing for Gulbis in saying that.

Mash has had his chance. 27 first class games without a century and an average of just 27. He is 28 years old and doesnt have much to offer Australian cricket moving forward. His 2nd XI record is irrelevant. Time to move on

I'd much rather see Finch or Hill at the top of that queue for an opportunity. They are the future and are potential Australian players. They are also actually better players than Mash. Give them an opportunity and see what they've got. Or any other young player that puts his hand up this season. eg Stray has plenty of runs at Premier and 2nd XI level. These are the guys selectors should be looking at not Mash

Cheers

Pele;376219 said:
Have to disagree Barry.

Firstly let me say that I am not pushing for Gulbis in saying that.

Mash has had his chance. 27 first class games without a century and an average of just 27. He is 28 years old and doesnt have much to offer Australian cricket moving forward. His 2nd XI record is irrelevant. Time to move on

I'd much rather see Finch or Hill at the top of that queue for an opportunity. They are the future and are potential Australian players. They are also actually better players than Mash. Give them an opportunity and see what they've got. Or any other young player that puts his hand up this season. eg Stray has plenty of runs at Premier and 2nd XI level. These are the guys selectors should be looking at not Mash

Cheers

Buch the trend - Cricket - Sport - theage.com.au

Think there's good arguments in this article too.
i can see how both sides are argued though. having seen mash close up, i do rate him as the next best bat outside the vic 11 atm, but like the article says, its winning at all costs, including player development

hopefully rain doesnt fully ruin this weekend's game, few big run chases!

diamond duck;376173 said:
lol tom brain
surely no matter who u are or who the bowlers are, u bat the day, you're a good chance of getting 1.4 an over on a good deck lol

Unlucky Dogs, even with a damp wicket and uncut outfield Hawks just getting the job done, Great call on the track record Tom Brain.........

Premier Cricket Twenty20 XI
No contracted players.

Gulbis
Buchanan
S Hill
Dempsey
Schlittler
Pilon+
Sanders
Wild
O'Shea
Austin
Mueller

Barry Dawson;377325 said:
Premier Cricket Twenty20 XI
No contracted players.

Gulbis
Buchanan
S Hill
Dempsey
Schlittler
Pilon+
Sanders
Wild
O'Shea
Austin
Mueller

add to that sam coates from prahran last year, decent hitting power there.

Hmm, looking back on that side, not all that enamoured with the fielding of it. Would think about replacing O'Shea with another spinner who fields better and moves well, as Buchanan, Dempsey and Schlittler would probably have to stay in the ring the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back