Victorian Premier Cricket - 2010/11

Re: Victorian Premier Cricket - 2010/11

yes-no-wait-sorry;407993 said:
The ECC coach quit/got fired?

apparently was out of favour with commitee(prez) and playing group.......

berger and benny fletcher taking over the reigns......

Barry Dawson;407755 said:
I think the big player for them will be Seymour. He can bowl some gas when he gets fit, but that's the biggest problem for him; staying fit. Salpietro will bowl some handy spinners for them too, although Prahran doesn't usually take spin too well. Guess it doesn't take any sort of bowling too well.

Totally agree with your comments Barry. Seymour is the wildcard. His batting isn't too bad as well and could easily become a very valuable allrounder. As for the wicket, the best description is that it is a 'road', and amazingly the curator is the Northcote opening bowler !

My ladder prediction
St Kilda
Frankston
Carlton
Melbourne
Camberwell
Prahran
Ringwood
Fitzroy
-----------
Geelong
Dandenong
Casey
Richmond
University
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Northcote
Footscray
Essendon

Very tough to predict and I may be no where near it.

St Kilda with Rummans and Cleary have two stars and will be very strong again. Frankston with Jewell playing every game, the experience of Chasemore and Groves, Miller back and Boland continuing to improve, have the best attack going around. You can throw a blanket on Carlton's kids, Camberwell with Piteresz and Fekete, and Melbourne, Prahran and Ringwood. Challenging these will be Geelong, Dandenong and Casey. From there the drop off starts and can't see too many reasons yet for anyone from Richmond and below, to seriously challenge.

whats the goss with Dempsey wanting a clerance back to Ringwood I thought he was captain of Dandenong?

It's from Ringwood to Dandenong. He didn't need it when he left and played as a professional player, but this year he's playing as an amateur so requires to be cleared.

So, what do we do next Saturday ?

Do we defer Round 1 to the Sunday, or reschedule it to the reserve day later in the season ?

A big call ahead for the Pennant Committee ! Let's hope they are not traditionalists and stick-in-the-muds !

This from the premier cricket site:

Opening Round of Victorian Premier Cricket Season to be deferred Cricket Victoria has today announced it will push back the start of the 2010/11 Kookaburra Victorian Premier Cricket season. The Pennant Committee, Cricket Victoria's overseeing body for the competition, circulated advice to Clubs earlier today that the first and second rounds would be staged back to back on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th October. Commenting on the decision, CV Chief Executive Tony Dodemaide commended the Pennant Committee on behalf of the Board of CV for their swift action and sensible conclusion. "It is a pragmatic decision, recognising both the impact of the replayed Grand Final next Saturday, and also the extra breathing space for local Clubs and councils to recover grounds to suitable condition for Premier Cricket after a particularly wet winter - the first for many years," he said. "Despite the extra onus of a full weekend of cricket on the 9th and 10th, we believe on balance it is the best decision for the benefit of all our stakeholders. "Our hundreds of players and volunteers throughout Premier Clubs will no doubt be interested in the events at the MCG next Saturday, but our collective relationship with councils and especially their ground curators is also crucial to acknowledge and protect. "The additional week will make life easier for them, and that is equally important to us."

I'm after some peoples opinions here. Why do performances at 1st XI level not count anymore?

Jake Hancock was selected for the Victorian Futures League last week. He averaged 15 last year and has never even scored a half century.

Dale Tormey scored 800 runs at an average of over 50. He came second in the Ryder and is 20 years old. He was not selected.

The Vic selectors have got to be kidding themselves. I'm all for promoting youth, but surely you have to actually do something to play for Victoria?

And no, I am not Dale Tormey, or his dad.

Just want everyones thoughts?

five80;409686 said:
Jake Hancock was selected for the Victorian Futures League last week. He averaged 15 last year and has never even scored a half century.
He scored 51 in his 2nd match.

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;409746 said:
Still doesnt mean he deserves to play ahead of a bloke who scored 800 runs last year? Unless Tormey was unavailable?
Wouldn't know, but yeah doesn't sound too fair. :p

Was an interesting team, I think that the three overage guys that were selected were all only one year out of the age restriction - Holland, Stray and Gilmour.

Tormey would have every right to be absolutely spewing. Think he could have a bit of Gulbus about him, he's a guy with a super eye who likes to rely on boundaries, and has question marks over his ability to face quality bowling. But like Gulbis, may not get the chance to prove otherwise in 2nd XI cricket often enough to produce some results.

Someone like Gulbis must just think the selectors hate him. He literally makes hundreds of runs and hardly gets a look in. Then all of a sudden, they like the look of a kid and he gets the nod straight up. I've got nothing against Hancock, he's probably a star, but at least make the kids get some runs first. I would have thought someone like Tormey comes along, he's young and has got the job done, you'd give him a go. I think the selectors have a lot to answer for, they seem to pigeonhole blokes very quickly.

A more genuine 2nd XI picked for a game against NSW, which Vics have long had and falls outside of CA fixturing, so there are no age restrictions.

Forsyth
Jewell
Quiney
M. Hill
Stray
Gulbis
Salpietro
Loorham+
Cleary
Gilmour
Hart
Boland

I thought Nick Jewell retired from FC cricket? If so why is he playing in this 2nd XI game.

also any opinions on the new premier cricket logo?

Back