Videos and Links

Re: Videos and Links

sadspinner;400788 said:
Check the commentators making fools of themselves in this high quality clip. One of them being Sunil Gavaskar, one of the best batsmen in the last 30 years. YouTube - IPL 2009: Best Of Shane Warne

beautiful slow motion shot of the flipper on the 2nd delivery!! he gets some pretty serious revs on it. it swang in hard as well which is what i have observed when i bowl it.

i absolutely wet myself at the Hayden dismissal! how to make a batsman look like a complete ******.

its such a shame that HD television wasnt around when Warne was at his peak, imagine the amazing replays we could have had if the Gatting ball had been in high definition!

someblokecalleddave;404661 said:
A exaggerated example of the potential drift/curve/swing that can be produce by a spinning ball. I wonder if this would be any good when training batsmen? YouTube - Blitzball : Amazing Curveball
Yeah that video is epic.

I don't have the talent but it would be amusing to see some video of Shane Warne getting big drift dubbed over with the sound from this trailer for The Last Airbender.

I also found an answer to what the spin bowler's anthem is, it is of course this great tune. I've read Barnes Wallis only got it to work when an amateur spinner who was on his staff pointed out that he was spinning it the wrong way round and needed to bowl a zooter instead...

Spiderlounge;405619 said:
Yeah that video is epic.

I also found an answer to what the spin bowler's anthem is, it is of course this great tune. I've read Barnes Wallis only got it to work when an amateur spinner who was on his staff pointed out that he was spinning it the wrong way round and needed to bowl a zooter instead...

According to the author of the definitive work on the Lancaster bomber, the gentleman concerned was reckoned good enough to have been a county-level spinner had war not intervened. If he knew about the zooter/flipper in '43, he must have been good; after all, Grimmett had only discovered the backspun flipper a few years earlier, hadn't he?

chrisbell;405783 said:
According to the author of the definitive work on the Lancaster bomber, the gentleman concerned was reckoned good enough to have been a county-level spinner had war not intervened. If he knew about the zooter/flipper in '43, he must have been good; after all, Grimmett had only discovered the backspun flipper a few years earlier, hadn't he?

There is a slight connection in that Grimmetts son flew the Lancaster during the war and won the DFC . Grimmetts favourite gloveman, the incomparable Charlie Walker, was killed in Lancaster over Germany. Both men knew of Grimmetts mystery ball, especially Walker.

someblokecalleddave;406081 said:
On the Spinning forum on several ocassions I've asked 'What is a pro - cricketers week like, how much do they train?' Via this blog The modern cricketer: the Twicketer/ The Corridor (a cricket blog) articles, blogs, photos at The Corridor (a cricket blog) I've been able to post a link to Greame Swanns twitter account which looks as though anyone can do it if you really are that desperate to somehow be associated in some way to your favourite celebrity? As you might be able to tell celebrity and fame holds very little appeal to me and it's not something I'd ever do - but...... The blog writer here is kind of taking a sideways snipe at the nature of our cricket players and what they get up to and do.

Potentially if I was that inclined it looks like I could probably follow Mr Swann through the next week and possibly glean some idea of how much time he does spend training and what aspects of his training are emphasised? To be honest I can't see that happening having read the drivel that Swann is already posting..........

Graeme Swann (Swannyg66) on Twitter

how much training can you do when you spend all day writing the complete and utter b*llocks that Swanny does on Twitter?

Back