VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

BigCoq;370566 said:
Mate didnt the Granny get played in rain affected conditions?
Isn't our primary function to play cricket?
Aren't our turf tables excempt from the water restrictions?
Aren't water level restriction set by the amount of water in our dams?

Club should do everything within there power to get there decks up to ensure there member get a game of cricket without a shadow of a doubt in my mind.
Week one was dictated by councils rejuvanating decks after footy season and not being able to do proper repairs due to the rain the main problem...
now its up to the clubs!!!

As is still the case there is restrictions on watering your wickets. The city of
Maribyrnong has turned off our water at the mains, so we are forced to use tank water. This may be the case at other grounds in the area as well.

Having prepared wickets in the past I think the case this week is if the tracks have tried out enough to be rolled. Checking our wicket it is pretty soft, and rolling would only make it worst

Southern Son;370554 said:
Why are the VT delaying the inevitable and not calling this weekend off already?!... It's pissed down every day this week. Who can honestly say they'll get anything up? (apart from those nutbag clubs who keep their covers on for most of the week in the middle of a drought)

Nothing worse then hearing Brian Quinn's voice telling you to turn up when you knows there's absolutely no chance. Just spoils any chance for alternative plans eg. races!

Brian Quinn from the wet weather commitee is a legend :p

BigCoq;370566 said:

Club should do everything within there power to get there decks up to ensure there member get a game of cricket without a shadow of a doubt in my mind.
Week one was dictated by councils rejuvanating decks after footy season and not being able to do proper repairs due to the rain the main problem...

Well no they're not... With Sth East Water we're only (legally) able to water the square 3 times a week and for 2 hours at a time. These times are dictated to us and are very inflexible (despite repeated attempts, they won't allow us to change days/time).

'Now it's up to the clubs'?!!!... Well I think the weather gods have something to say about that. It's rained all week you goose!

southern sledge;370564 said:
Just received a text message from the VT asking for responses from the clubs by 3pm tomorrow, i would think if the majority of grounds are out they will call it off by the evening. Southern Son your posts are very negative against our comp, if you don't like it why not play somewhere else or go to the races.

I'll give credit where's it due, but I'm not gonna get on here and be a VTCA 'yes man' like some are. Wouldn't surprise me if members of the exec get on here to spruik.

FYI- I've been a playing in the VT for close to 15 years and love the comp. Just think they've got to be held accountable at times

Southern Son;370581 said:
I'll give credit where's it due, but I'm not gonna get on here and be a VTCA 'yes man' like some are. Wouldn't surprise me if members of the exec get on here to spruik.

FYI- I've been a playing in the VT for close to 15 years and love the comp. Just think they've got to be held accountable at times

[/QUOTE] Originally Posted by Southern Son
I know we all want to play Sledge, but what makes this week different to two weeks ago, when they had the good sense to call it off mid-week?

Given the drought etc we should be more conservative and take a long-term approach at this time of year. We want to ensure we have wicket tables that will last through a predicted hot summer. Surely you don't want to be short-sighted and go running around on sticky centre squares, potentially damaging them for the rest of the season, for the sake of one day's of play?

Should be called off now, so that clubs don't have to go laying covers and squares can get all the rain they can. [/QUOTE]

completely agree with you southern, but we all know that the executive aren't exactly open to suggestions from the people who 'ARE' the vtca, the players.

i love playing in the vtca with a great bunch of guys against some quality local players, however dissaopinted that the opinions of players aren't taken into consideration as much as they should, the one day scenario is the perfect example of this.

everyone in victoria knows that the weather is un predictable this time of year so why schedule 2 day games this early in the season? surely if it was a one day scheduled this week and teams reported to the grounds, you would be happy playing on a sticky wicket as it is the same for both teams as opposed to losing the toss on a pudding, bundled out forr 100 and having no chance of defending it when next week could possibly be a sun filled week and curating conditions are at a high????

just my opinion but hey my opinion doesn't really count does it?

no it doesn't count my friend, if you look at the comp. some divisions are 8 teams meaning 7 od and 7 2days and the first 4 rounds are one dayers. We can't complain as we haven't missed much cricket in the last couple of years

BigCoq;370566 said:

While your intent is commendable, playing this week if the surrounds are damp/wet will stuff up a table for 6-10 weeks. As the weather has not been hot enough for the couch grass to take off yet, most tables may be looking ok but are covered in a shallow rooted summer grass. A days play in damp/wet conditions with lots of foot traffic on the wicket table will have them looking like football ground mid winter in no time. You will then have players winging till christmas about 2 paced wickets with inconsistent bounce.

Hobsons Bay council still have strong water restrictions in place.

Dont get to excited over the recent rain, if u think the Govt is going to relax restrictions based on 1 month of above average rain, you will be wrong. The only possible change this season is moving to stage 4 (which I think is highly unlikely ) but would mean a cancelled comp ( like Geelong comp 3 years ago).

Southern Son;370581 said:

Do you actually do anything about it , or just want to have a crack at anything

jika jika;370617 said:
While your intent is commendable, playing this week if the surrounds are damp/wet will stuff up a table for 6-10 weeks. As the weather has not been hot enough for the couch grass to take off yet, most tables may be looking ok but are covered in a shallow rooted summer grass. A days play in damp/wet conditions with lots of foot traffic on the wicket table will have them looking like football ground mid winter in no time. You will then have players winging till christmas about 2 paced wickets with inconsistent bounce.

Hobsons Bay council still have strong water restrictions in place.

Dont get to excited over the recent rain, if u think the Govt is going to relax restrictions based on 1 month of above average rain, you will be wrong. The only possible change this season is moving to stage 4 (which I think is highly unlikely ) but would mean a cancelled comp ( like Geelong comp 3 years ago).
I agree that if we play this week it will stuff up a fair few tracks, but i don't think it should be called off till the majority are out of action. Then we can all watch the races or go and pay fifty bucks to get in, what a joke that is.

Kev Davis;370585 said:
completely agree with you southern, but we all know that the executive aren't exactly open to suggestions from the people who 'ARE' the vtca, the players.

i love playing in the vtca with a great bunch of guys against some quality local players, however dissaopinted that the opinions of players aren't taken into consideration as much as they should, the one day scenario is the perfect example of this.

everyone in victoria knows that the weather is un predictable this time of year so why schedule 2 day games this early in the season? surely if it was a one day scheduled this week and teams reported to the grounds, you would be happy playing on a sticky wicket as it is the same for both teams as opposed to losing the toss on a pudding, bundled out forr 100 and having no chance of defending it when next week could possibly be a sun filled week and curating conditions are at a high????

just my opinion but hey my opinion doesn't really count does it?

Couple of interesting comments in there Kev.

Suggesting that the VTCA is the solely players. I get where you are coming from here, but I think that you are misisng the point somewhat. Coming at this from a slightly different angle, the Exec holds a variety of different meetings with the clubs. Whether that be in groups of 6 for the Points meetings, split into Nth and Sth for the bi-annual Presidents & Secretaries meetings, the divisional meetings prior to the season, or the regular delegates meetings. Since March there have been meetings in 4 different formats for the clubs to get their points across, hence the huge number of changes in the off season. By speaking to the clubs, the Exec can only trust that the clubs have the right people in charge and running their individual clubs. It is the responsibility of the players that want to make a difference to do so, firstly at a club level and then by putting themselves in a position to be heard on a bigger stage. With over 2400 different people playing cricket in the VTCA every week it would be fairly hard to gain the individual opinions of every player on every topic. Hence my comment that it is the responsibility of the player if he/she has a voice they feel worthy of being heard.

What one-day scenario are you taking about Kev? There are many number of opinions on what might or should happen with one-day games. Again, without constructive comment or suggestion from clubs it is hard to implement change without due reason. I cant imagine that rules will ever be changed because of a post on BigCricket, seek out the correct channels. The product we have at the moment (VTCA) is 107+ years old, i'm not sure it should be altered just for the sake of change. That said, change is always welcome...again I draw your attention to the amount of changes in the off-season...points system, division re-structure, exec re-structure, administrator role, 20/20 Comp...etc... All changes that were made having sought feedback from clubs !

It is the aim and want of the VTCA Exec to have 12 team divisions, whilst also acknowledging that this might not always be possible. Senior / North / South / North A divisions all have 10 or 12 teams, and therefore play a fixture with 2 one-dayers and 9 two-dayers. Given your logic of playing the one dayers to start the year this week would be the first of the 2-day games in any case, meaning the problem we have would be the same in any case.
This week is a case of damed if you do, damed if you dont. But the Exec has followed the same path as it has the previosu 2 weeks and sought the opinion of clubs on the suitability of their wickets for play this week. Week one the wickets were not fit, so the day was abandoned, week two most were fit so the round went ahead. Week three will be decided by club feedback tomorrow. Easy to throw stones, but I dont see many people on here championing the hours of effort last week. Swaping fixtures and grounds of numerous scheduled matches so that of all clubs got a start (except G'vale/Doutta). Not a bad effort considering there was in the region of 10 unplayable senior grounds...

Your opinion does count Kev, that is the reason for these boards. Its just that sometimes its very easy to see only what lies directly infront of you and not fully recognise the landscape.....

If you want to make a difference Kev, how about backing the VTCA events of the 20/20 Comp and the 'Platypus Pink-ball round'. Get behind the great cause that is the McGrath Foundation, take the challenge and help make a difference.....

Not Just Empty Words;370644 said:
Couple of interesting comments in there Kev.

Suggesting that the VTCA is the solely players. I get where you are coming from here, but I think that you are misisng the point somewhat. Coming at this from a slightly different angle, the Exec holds a variety of different meetings with the clubs. Whether that be in groups of 6 for the Points meetings, split into Nth and Sth for the bi-annual Presidents & Secretaries meetings, the divisional meetings prior to the season, or the regular delegates meetings. Since March there have been meetings in 4 different formats for the clubs to get their points across, hence the huge number of changes in the off season. By speaking to the clubs, the Exec can only trust that the clubs have the right people in charge and running their individual clubs. It is the responsibility of the players that want to make a difference to do so, firstly at a club level and then by putting themselves in a position to be heard on a bigger stage. With over 2400 different people playing cricket in the VTCA every week it would be fairly hard to gain the individual opinions of every player on every topic. Hence my comment that it is the responsibility of the player if he/she has a voice they feel worthy of being heard.

What one-day scenario are you taking about Kev? There are many number of opinions on what might or should happen with one-day games. Again, without constructive comment or suggestion from clubs it is hard to implement change without due reason. I cant imagine that rules will ever be changed because of a post on BigCricket, seek out the correct channels. The product we have at the moment (VTCA) is 107+ years old, i'm not sure it should be altered just for the sake of change. That said, change is always welcome...again I draw your attention to the amount of changes in the off-season...points system, division re-structure, exec re-structure, administrator role, 20/20 Comp...etc... All changes that were made having sought feedback from clubs !

It is the aim and want of the VTCA Exec to have 12 team divisions, whilst also acknowledging that this might not always be possible. Senior / North / South / North A divisions all have 10 or 12 teams, and therefore play a fixture with 2 one-dayers and 9 two-dayers. Given your logic of playing the one dayers to start the year this week would be the first of the 2-day games in any case, meaning the problem we have would be the same in any case.
This week is a case of damed if you do, damed if you dont. But the Exec has followed the same path as it has the previosu 2 weeks and sought the opinion of clubs on the suitability of their wickets for play this week. Week one the wickets were not fit, so the day was abandoned, week two most were fit so the round went ahead. Week three will be decided by club feedback tomorrow. Easy to throw stones, but I dont see many people on here championing the hours of effort last week. Swaping fixtures and grounds of numerous scheduled matches so that of all clubs got a start (except G'vale/Doutta). Not a bad effort considering there was in the region of 10 unplayable senior grounds...

Your opinion does count Kev, that is the reason for these boards. Its just that sometimes its very easy to see only what lies directly infront of you and not fully recognise the landscape.....

If you want to make a difference Kev, how about backing the VTCA events of the 20/20 Comp and the 'Platypus Pink-ball round'. Get behind the great cause that is the McGrath Foundation, take the challenge and help make a difference.....

This might contradict what i was said before, the vtca do a good job organising things such as the 20/20 concept, however the point i'm trying to make is that everybody knows that at this time of the season the weather is ordinary, as a player i dislike the fact that a 2 day game is won and lost on the toss of a coin, it defeats the purpose of playing 2day cricket which is in place so as the better team over the 2 days wins, not neccessarily the weaker team winning the toss, bowling on a pudding and batting out the 2nd day on a good wicket, to me thats not good cricket.

personally i'd rather turn up at this time of year for a one day game knowing conditions are the same for both sides, than turn up first week and have the skippers say lets go home and return next week, thats a waste of everybodies time. Schedule oneday games from round 1 until mid-late november then play 2 day games when the weather is consistan is what i'm trying to say here.

i understand what your saying about not changing things for the sake of it, but reality is, whether the executive acknowledge it or not, CRICKET IS CHANGING WORLDWIDE, sit back and quickly think about this situation, a premier cricket player decides to step back and commit to his family and play a majority of high standard one day cricket instead of committing to 2 day cricket, the vtca structure plays at the moment in our division 2 scheduled one day games, would this be attractive a player of premier ability if subbies have 7 one day games and 7 2 day games? I am just trying to get the vtca to recognise this so that it IS regarded as the second best comp behind VCA to everyone not just our comp.

lets liven the comp up and make it more attractive to outsiders

southern sledge;370626 said:
Do you actually do anything about it , or just want to have a crack at anything

I'd prefer to to put my effort and energy into my club - much more satisfying. Any spare time, I use to lob the odd verbal grenade on here :D

Southern Son;370691 said:
I'd prefer to to put my effort and energy into my club - much more satisfying. Any spare time, I use to lob the odd verbal grenade on here :D

Don't know about lobbing mate, but you're definately a tosser

so any updates on decks...
i doubt many out west will get anything up...rained all week.... south and east as well..
north got away with a bit of dry so they may be the only area ...
surely by now most would have said yeh or neh... no hope the council curators could have got out yesterday so not sure how they will manage to do all their grounds today...if they can at all??

Vicious and Well Directed;370738 said:
Time to pull out the best bets, light grey suits and pastel pink shirts...

All play tomorrow has been cancelled.

can't seem to find any reference to it on the VTCA website. who has informed you that this is the case?

Got the word just before from the club secretary that games have been cancelled. It's sunny outside now too :(

DizzyGillepsie;370760 said:
can't seem to find any reference to it on the VTCA website. who has informed you that this is the case?

I got a text message and an email from VTCA saying cricket is off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back