VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Jastone;370763 said:
Got the word just before from the club secretary that games have been cancelled. It's sunny outside now too :(
It still takes a fair amount of time for the wickets to dry enough to get a roller on them, just because the sun is out it doesn't mean that they dry straight away.
My tip tomorrow is a Cummings Quinella with Cima De Triomphe third.

southern sledge;370627 said:
I agree that if we play this week it will stuff up a fair few tracks, but i don't think it should be called off till the majority are out of action. Then we can all watch the races or go and pay fifty bucks to get in, what a joke that is.

This is a cricket site southern Sledge lets keep it about the cricket!!!! you should know better! :p

With so much cricket not being played, and more rain predicted over the next few weeks i wonder if the vtca will deduct some affiliation fees. Some clubs may be finding it hard to get revenue in because no cricket is being played. less frothies means less money in our case.;)

Does anyone think the VTCA make the call to early,it hasnt rained since yesterday morning in western suburbs???

hussler;370886 said:
Does anyone think the VTCA make the call to early,it hasnt rained since yesterday morning in western suburbs???

Think you might be missing the point a bit here mate. I think the issue wasn't so much about how much play could actually be achieved, but as someone mentioned earlier, how much damage would be done to tables if they did prepare decks in a fairly wet week.

The added consideration would be that given this is a Melbourne wide comp, how many areas are going to be affected. It may have been dry in the west, but it was wet for most of the night in the city. If the majority of grounds aren't going to be ready, then you probably don't have a choice but to call everything off.

leroy1304;370882 said:
With so much cricket not being played, and more rain predicted over the next few weeks i wonder if the vtca will deduct some affiliation fees. Some clubs may be finding it hard to get revenue in because no cricket is being played. less frothies means less money in our case.;)

Mate it is not the VTCA that controls the weather. And just because you are not playing doesnt mean you cant support your club. Open the bar up, get a few bets on and kick back with a few beers. Pretty simple really. Washed out days are some of our clubs biggest takes. And biggest hangovers:D

Depends which one you are talking about Southern Sledge....i believe half the club are going to the races over the next few weeks!!!! As for the post about the weather improving over the last 24 hours that is probably so......but good luck to anyone who wants to play on a deck thats had an hours work on it. Chance to look forward to next week and a one dayer.....good to see my proposal of more one dayers finally getting the go ahead!!!!!

Vicious and Well Directed;370889 said:
Think you might be missing the point a bit here mate. I think the issue wasn't so much about how much play could actually be achieved, but as someone mentioned earlier, how much damage would be done to tables if they did prepare decks in a fairly wet week.

The added consideration would be that given this is a Melbourne wide comp, how many areas are going to be affected. It may have been dry in the west, but it was wet for most of the night in the city. If the majority of grounds aren't going to be ready, then you probably don't have a choice but to call everything off.

Yes the VTCA is Melb wide but you also have Nth/Sth divisions etc.....Sen Div is the only one not in certain areas.......Some areas are ok to play,why not call off each division seperately???:confused:

hussler;370923 said:
Yes the VTCA is Melb wide but you also have Nth/Sth divisions etc.....Sen Div is the only one not in certain areas.......Some areas are ok to play,why not call off each division seperately???:confused:

You say some areas are fit for play, like to know where they are, you obviously have a better information source than the VTCA.
The VTCA asked all Clubs to report on whether or not they could get wickets ready for the weekends play.
According to the website at 12.40 on Friday 45 Clubs had replied no way, with only 4 saying they were a chance.

Sniffin Around;370965 said:
You say some areas are fit for play, like to know where they are, you obviously have a better information source than the VTCA.
The VTCA asked all Clubs to report on whether or not they could get wickets ready for the weekends play.
According to the website at 12.40 on Friday 45 Clubs had replied no way, with only 4 saying they were a chance.

My point was in my original post was that they call the cricket off to early....12.40 on friday is 24hours before the start,you could easily get a wicket up in that time that is ok to play on???
There was plenty of turf cricket played yesterday!!!

Seeing that you don't play turf cricket i wonder why you have so much interest in it.
For the record--all VTCA was off, all Sub District was off, all Eastern turf was off, all MCA bar one game ( remember this social comp played on Black Saturday ) Seven Premier firsts and seven Premier 2nds played and ALL Premier 3rds and Fourths were off and all their 1sts and 2nds have fully covered wickets.
Interesting that other comps these days seem to follow the VTCA lead and that includes leaving covers off when they are not needed.
Hustler i hope that helps you understand a little bit more about turf cricket.

P.S. The Dandenong comp never played as well

We are in the west and there was no chance our ground would be ready also i logged onto the willi comp and saw hoppers all out 24 and gu 6/68 looks like a good weekend for cricket.

southern sledge;370990 said:
Seeing that you don't play turf cricket i wonder why you have so much interest in it.
For the record--all VTCA was off, all Sub District was off, all Eastern turf was off, all MCA bar one game ( remember this social comp played on Black Saturday ) Seven Premier firsts and seven Premier 2nds played and ALL Premier 3rds and Fourths were off and all their 1sts and 2nds have fully covered wickets.
Interesting that other comps these days seem to follow the VTCA lead and that includes leaving covers off when they are not needed.
Hustler i hope that helps you understand a little bit more about turf cricket.

P.S. The Dandenong comp never played as well

Well whos the know all hey??? Seen as though ive only played turf cricket since 1988, I suppose you've been been around a lot longer.....sorry bout that!!
Its not the VTCA's idea to leave covers off...thats called common sense!!
Every comp you've mentioned,majority of clubs are from the other side of the city!!!
If you bothered to read my posts properly you'd notice that I said each division should be treated seperatley,the decision to cancel cricket that early is ridiculous,dont you want to play or do you only want to play on roads???
Did you ever play on uncovered wickets/ I would guess NO :eek:

First few paragraphs of an open letter from pres/sec of Airport West that appears on their Facebook page...

15 October 2009
A letter to all players, members and supporters.

We have received a formal complaint from Williamstown CYMS CC in relation to an incident that occurred during the Senior division (1st X1) match last Saturday, 10th of October 2009.

It is evident that two males, on the hill near the Etzel Street entrance to our ground, made racially abusive comments to one of the Williamstown CYMS players. It is also evident that the males were supporting Airport West St Christophers Cricket Club.

This behavior will not be tolerated. It is inappropriate and embarrassing to our club. It is offensive to any player, and completely unnecessary.

hussler;371023 said:
Well whos the know all hey??? Seen as though ive only played turf cricket since 1988, I suppose you've been been around a lot longer.....sorry bout that!!
Its not the VTCA's idea to leave covers off...thats called common sense!!
Every comp you've mentioned,majority of clubs are from the other side of the city!!!
If you bothered to read my posts properly you'd notice that I said each division should be treated seperatley,the decision to cancel cricket that early is ridiculous,dont you want to play or do you only want to play on roads???
Did you ever play on uncovered wickets/ I would guess NO :eek:

Ease up soldier, playing on turf wickets for 20 years doesn't mean you know anything about preparing turf wickets

on average each club in VTCA has a four wicket table, each wicket requiring 15 hours prep per week to be a FAIR pitch for both teams.

if you want to work on a pitch from from 1pm friday through the night to get a pitch ready good on ya and good luck doing it.

bear in mind, you play on an underprepared pitch, injuries occur and pitches get so badly damaged that they can't be repaired and played on again that season.

sit back and think about the curator's who work full time elsewhere and do their clubs wickets as a hobby, Would you like to work all night so that 22 blokes can hit a ball around, or would you rather them call off the round the day before so as people can live their life with their families.

i know a few blokes who you can talk to if you want to learn how to prepare wickets, so that should rounds be called off, the clubs can ring you to prepare their gropund for them to play on should they wish

Kev Davis;371097 said:
Ease up soldier, playing on turf wickets for 20 years doesn't mean you know anything about preparing turf wickets

on average each club in VTCA has a four wicket table, each wicket requiring 15 hours prep per week to be a FAIR pitch for both teams.

if you want to work on a pitch from from 1pm friday through the night to get a pitch ready good on ya and good luck doing it.

bear in mind, you play on an underprepared pitch, injuries occur and pitches get so badly damaged that they can't be repaired and played on again that season.

sit back and think about the curator's who work full time elsewhere and do their clubs wickets as a hobby, Would you like to work all night so that 22 blokes can hit a ball around, or would you rather them call off the round the day before so as people can live their life with their families.

i know a few blokes who you can talk to if you want to learn how to prepare wickets, so that should rounds be called off, the clubs can ring you to prepare their gropund for them to play on should they wish

Take it easy fella,15 Hours a week........tell me what hobby curator spends 3 hours a day monday to friday doin their clubs wickets.....I'll tell you................"ZERO"..."NONE"...."ZILCH"..........have a nice day....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back