VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

hussler;371219 said:
Take it easy fella,15 Hours a week........tell me what hobby curator spends 3 hours a day monday to friday doin their clubs wickets.....I'll tell you................"ZERO"..."NONE"...."ZILCH"..........have a nice day....:D

I know of a curator who probably does that, if not more. the guy deserves a medal for his work.

hussler;371219 said:
Take it easy fella,15 Hours a week........tell me what hobby curator spends 3 hours a day monday to friday doin their clubs wickets.....I'll tell you................"ZERO"..."NONE"...."ZILCH"..........have a nice day....:D

at no time did i say monday to friday at 3 hours a day, i said a decent standard wicket takes 15 hours prep!!!!!!!!

as for telling you what curator spends that long on their clubs wickets, I DO for one, but i can't speak about the rest, however i know for a fact that Doyley down at box hill 3rds and 4ths ground, works night shift thursday nights then spends friday from 9 until 6-30/7pm rollin the wickets plus saturday mornings.

Each Curator whether it be in VTCA or the MCG follow the same guidlines in wicket prep and getting a decent base into the wicket.

i really don't want to get into a slanging match, but before you make rash statements please look into what it takes to prepare a decent wicket.

as a curator i am constantly P***** Off by players saying ' It's not that hard to prepare a wicket ' off course it's not for them, all they do is play on it!!!!!

at the end of the day (and im not one to pump people up the backside), the VTCA made the right decision. they could quite easily of said lets play and stuff all your wickets up, but they made a curator friendly decision and one that later in the season clubs will be greatful of as their wicket tables won't be affected by this still whilst battling the drought aswell

DizzyGillepsie;371234 said:
I know of a curator who probably does that, if not more. the guy deserves a medal for his work.

I saw your pitch & it was a road at 1pm friday!!!!

Kev Davis;371255 said:
Doyley down at box hill 3rds and 4ths ground, works night shift thursday nights then spends friday from 9 until 6-30/7pm rollin the wickets plus saturday mornings.

Probably a bit of overkill if he's rolling it for that length of time. Current research suggests that there is little effect after 24 passes of the roller.

Also, Kev as you seem to have experience in this why don't you talk us through preparing a wicket. Explain what needs to be done i.e cutting, scarifying, rolling and so on. It might help people to appreciate the work put in and why the compeition is occasionally called off early.

Now that we have 2 clear divisions - Nth and Sth - I think there is some merit in taking a 'regional' approach to making weather decisions...

I know this wasn't the case last week but if the clear majority of clubs in the Nth can get a wicket up and the majority of Sth clubs can't, then what about making a call to play in the Nth and no play in the Sth (and vice-versa). The results of games played on one side of the Yarra have no influence on games played on the other side (except of course in Snr Div).

mas cambios;371274 said:
Probably a bit of overkill if he's rolling it for that length of time. Current research suggests that there is little effect after 24 passes of the roller.

Also, Kev as you seem to have experience in this why don't you talk us through preparing a wicket. Explain what needs to be done i.e cutting, scarifying, rolling and so on. It might help people to appreciate the work put in and why the compeition is occasionally called off early.

in a nutshell, this is process for wicket prep that i do at work mas, some may not agree with it, but this is the way i was taught when working at a test venue:

Club Cricket Pitch Preparation

MONDAY
(1) Select pitch to use
(2) Measure out 10ft wide and run string lines from end to end.
(3) cut at 8 mm
(4) Slowly soak the wicket

TUESDAY

(5) Cross roll with light hand roller (30-40mins)
(6) apply heavy roller in low gear (half hour).
(7) In the afternoon, two or three more such heavy rolls

WEDNESDAY

(8) apply heavy roller in low gear (half hour).
(9) In the afternoon, two heavy rolls for one hour each

THURSDAY

(10) If all roller creases have flattened out. Cut pitch at the height of 4 mm
(11) Water prepared pitch

FRIDAY

(12) cut out pitch again at 6 to 8 mm, although the pitch was cut at 4 mm the grass was rolled into soil and by now will have grown and stood up again
(13) Make sure pitch is sufficiently moist.
(14) Apply a light covering of grass cuttings on any bare areas
(15) Cross roll with light hand roller for half an hour
(16) As soon as moisture content allows, apply heavy roller in low gear (20-30 mins)
(17) Late roll if possible

SATURDAY

(18) Double cut pitch at 4mm.
(19) Heavy roll for half hour
(20) Final double cut 4mm.
(21) Measure out pitch and mark with frame and straight edge.
(22) Roll between popping creases.
(23) Stumps in position, ready for play.

As i said before, this is how i was taught, although the curators are trying to achieve the same results, each curator has his/her own methods to achieve this result, and will all tell you there is no correct way to prepare a pitch.

Southern Son;371345 said:
Now that we have 2 clear divisions - Nth and Sth - I think there is some merit in taking a 'regional' approach to making weather decisions...

I know this wasn't the case last week but if the clear majority of clubs in the Nth can get a wicket up and the majority of Sth clubs can't, then what about making a call to play in the Nth and no play in the Sth (and vice-versa). The results of games played on one side of the Yarra have no influence on games played on the other side (except of course in Snr Div).

How do you know that isnt the case already ?? Just because decisions to call off all play were made on 3rd and 17th October, doesnt neccesarily mean that the decision was made 'as one'. Presumption where knowledge does not exist can be very dangerous....

mas cambios;371274 said:

You are kidding yourself Mas. Give up trying to be an authority on everything, stick to the computer and leave the curating to those that know how.

If you location is a true indicator then I am sure you will appreciate that decks here are actually cricket wickets. The process is significantly more complex than the English club system of finding the flatest wicket and smacking the stumps in. I would be suprised if any VTCA (or any turf comp) decks get less than 15 hours per week preparation time.

southern sledge;371324 said:
Was that while going over the West Gate.
Hussler why so much interest in a comp you don't play in ?

No, actually walked out & had a look with my eyes.......:D
My interest was the decision to call cricket off at 12pm friday in all divisions???
I used to play in the VJCA many moons ago....:p

hussler;371415 said:
My interest was the decision to call cricket off at 12pm friday in all divisions???

At Spotty, we are VERY lucky to have 2 retired gentlemen happy to put time and effort into not only our playing wickets, but also our turf training decks. For the love of the club I might add:D And yes it was a great looking wicket Friday arvo. A few years ago, a well known player from Brighton had waited 8 years to get a bat on our track, ran himself out for not many and said after the game " damn, I cannot believe I did that to myself after waiting all these years to play on a wicket here".;)

And VJCA..... WOW... you are showing your age...

hussler;371415 said:
Well it was the correct decision as it turned out, what did your willy comp do on the weekend.

Not Just Empty Words;371407 said:
How do you know that isnt the case already ?? Just because decisions to call off all play were made on 3rd and 17th October, doesnt neccesarily mean that the decision was made 'as one'. Presumption where knowledge does not exist can be very dangerous....

Wow, that's deep. Get that from a fortune cookie?...

I don't know and I only made that pretty harmless presumption based on the fact the VT, when citing club numbers to explain their decision, don't break them down into Nth/Sth. That's not to say they don't actually do look at it in that way.

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;371528 said:
This has turned into the biggest whinge fest. We really need some cricket to be played this week.

tell me about it... i'm more than likely looking down the barrel of a bye next game so i would have played 2 1 dayers in 6 weeks. if we don't play this weekend it'll be 1 1 dayer in 6 weeks! hardly the start to the season I was looking for :mad:

Has anyone else heard the rumour that some clubs (in Senior Division and possibly lower divisions) 1st XIs are likely to lose match points because they have not complied with the new points system (ie: they have failed to register players and have gone over the 54 point allocation).

There are bound to be some unhappy people!!!

Northern $uper$tars;372402 said:
Has anyone else heard the rumour that some clubs (in Senior Division and possibly lower divisions) 1st XIs are likely to lose match points because they have not complied with the new points system (ie: they have failed to register players and have gone over the 54 point allocation).

There are bound to be some unhappy people!!!

Which clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back