VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

mas cambios;387185 said:
So, shall we just leave it at that? They came, they saw, they pissed around, they got sent home.

Agreed lets leave it as is !!!

APW make 336, Taylor tons up against his old club.. Bronca injured again? Smart and Oosterhof given limited opportunity by the looks of it? Any insight into the events down at YC yesterday???

ImpartialOnlooker;387587 said:
APW make 336, Taylor tons up against his old club.. Bronca injured again? Smart and Oosterhof given limited opportunity by the looks of it? Any insight into the events down at YC yesterday???

Seems like Taylor always saves his best for YC lets see what kind of a deck they get up this week especially with rain forecast, i bet they will get the covers down in time for this game unlike earlier on in the season when they were bowling second week of the game !!

Max;387709 said:
Seems like Taylor always saves his best for YC lets see what kind of a deck they get up this week especially with rain forecast, i bet they will get the covers down in time for this game unlike earlier on in the season when they were bowling second week of the game !!

Who ever finished top, gets a free ride into the Grand Final, because St Bernards aren't worth a pinch of the proverbial, when it comes to AP/W and Y/C... Will O'Keefe bat Y/C into the granny I wonder???

Will be interesting to see who gets relegated aswell...

cherried_lid;387777 said:
Who ever finished top, gets a free ride into the Grand Final, because St Bernards aren't worth a pinch of the proverbial, when it comes to AP/W and Y/C... Will O'Keefe bat Y/C into the granny I wonder???

Will be interesting to see who gets relegated aswell...

agreed both APW and YC will be far to strong for St bernards but its been a great effort from them to get into the 4 in their 1st year in the top division, its fair to say that Osbourne is one of the top 10 players in the comp!!

Cricket Addict;387909 said:
If you see the deck he's playing on half the time, it's not hard to see how he gets so many wickets.

Correct, a blind man could take 30 wickets bowling nude nuts on that deck...
It is a very good effort by them to get in the top 4 1st year in.
Also it should be noted, that the South came, they saw, and they dissapeared once again when push came to shove... Capitulated is more th term I should use..

I'm sure some of the VTCA 'yes-men' can oblige me here (cue 'Not Just Empty Words' or 'Southern Sledge')... Why does the VTCA keep persisting with this anachronistic bonus points system BS?!!!!... This from a post I put on the Sth Div thread...

'The bonus points systems is one of the worst things going for this comp. Its one of the reasons you see all these BS outright results in the last round too (why they can't schedule a 1-dayer in the last round is also beyond me)... Take the start of the season for example. How many times do you see sides get off to a flyer, because they win in a round when only 2-3 games get on because it's 'turn up to grounds'. Not only do they get a result but also the 2-4 points that comes with having a win. That's a 8-10 point lead before the majority of sides get to play, and as we all know, it's games won before xmas that decide the 4.

A combination of poor weather and delayed council works means the other sides who can't get a wicket up miss out on these valuable points.

Why not an average of the % runs for/against & % wickets lost/taken?'

Riddle me that VTCA Executive...

Southern Son;388487 said:
I'm sure some of the VTCA 'yes-men' can oblige me here (cue 'Not Just Empty Words' or 'Southern Sledge')... Why does the VTCA keep persisting with this anachronistic bonus points system BS?!!!!... This from a post I put on the Sth Div thread...

'The bonus points systems is one of the worst things going for this comp. Its one of the reasons you see all these BS outright results in the last round too (why they can't schedule a 1-dayer in the last round is also beyond me)... Take the start of the season for example. How many times do you see sides get off to a flyer, because they win in a round when only 2-3 games get on because it's 'turn up to grounds'. Not only do they get a result but also the 2-4 points that comes with having a win. That's a 8-10 point lead before the majority of sides get to play, and as we all know, it's games won before xmas that decide the 4.

A combination of poor weather and delayed council works means the other sides who can't get a wicket up miss out on these valuable points.

Why not an average of the % runs for/against & % wickets lost/taken?'

Riddle me that VTCA Executive...

Excellent questions...here's my rant about the same topic...

Most of us realise how flawed the system is. The umpires hate it as the 2nd innings are often where things get less friendly. The players on the losing team hate it, particularly if they have to field after just losing a close game. The players on the winning team hate it as they'd rather be having a beer and celebrating.

It means the draw is so important and luck plays such a huge role - try being a borderline finals team playing a bottom team in a one dayer - less bonus points available - try getting washed out when others play - why should the ground you play on give you an advantage or disadvantage before the season begins? - are we trying to find the best 4 teams to play finals or the 4 teams that can manipulate the system best? - just so many flaws, why can't the VTCA see it???

The advocates of the system say "it makes the VTCA unique" - maybe the unfairness of the system is why noone else uses it. I would love to see a player vote on bonus points - not the club administrators but the players. Win or lose, let's go have a beer and a chat, not play another 20 overs useless cricket that unfairly determines the outcome of some seasons.

zyxwvu;388492 said:

Most of us realise how flawed the system is. The umpires hate it as the 2nd innings are often where things get less friendly. The players on the losing team hate it, particularly if they have to field after just losing a close game. The players on the winning team hate it as they'd rather be having a beer and celebrating.

It means the draw is so important and luck plays such a huge role - try being a borderline finals team playing a bottom team in a one dayer - less bonus points available - try getting washed out when others play - why should the ground you play on give you an advantage or disadvantage before the season begins? - are we trying to find the best 4 teams to play finals or the 4 teams that can manipulate the system best? - just so many flaws, why can't the VTCA see it???

The advocates of the system say "it makes the VTCA unique" - maybe the unfairness of the system is why noone else uses it. I would love to see a player vote on bonus points - not the club administrators but the players. Win or lose, let's go have a beer and a chat, not play another 20 overs useless cricket that unfairly determines the outcome of some seasons.

I could not agree more. good post

zyxwvu;388492 said:

So many good points!!!... It just leaves a sour taste in your mouth when you have to go out and play out 5 or so meaningless overs of bullshit, just because in the odd chance it might mean something at the end of the season!!!... Everyone just wants to be back in the shed, having a frothy and pouring over the day;s play!... How much camaraderie is ruined by the bonus point crap?!

Good points everyone. As a player who has come into this comp in the last 7 years or so i was amazed at the bonus points system.As stated many a good win or bad loss has been spoilt by going out for a hopeless slog or bowl.If all the grounds were the same sizes too might make a difference.
If we are to take away the bonus points rule we need another solution.To throw one in the air you could have say 20 points for a winning side ....with the loser getting points for runs and wickets.1 point for 150, 2 for 175 etc and same for bowling...max of 10 for losers.similar to now but different!

I have never played with or against anyone who likes and have never heard a good argument for it!!

I dont mind keeping the bonus points, but only for first innings. That way sides get rewared for good performances and the ladder will sort itself out. But once the first innings is over, you only continue playing if there is an outright possibility. Eliminates the horrible feeling of having to play out the last 5, 10 overs on the second day and if a team does go for an outright, if it's soon clear they wont get it, the game can end.

southern sledge;387279 said:
Former Parkdale player and VTCA u/21 Scott Boland took 2/18 for the Bushrangers 2nds today at the Junction Oval.

yeh he has done well there!

Attention all cricketers looking to wind up the season on a big note come down to the Roosters if ur interested in free beer for 4-5 hours getting fed through out the day and possibly winning 4k were happy to have u spend the day with us bring ur 50 bucks gets a mate in as well theres only 200 tkts last man standing gets the Chocalates give away prises thru out the day as well always a Good Big day.
We are in 5th avenue Altona North brand new club room.Starts at 12noon 28th of February.
Hope to see some new faces down there.:D
Yes members from other clubs have won in the past!

Did anyone hear what happened during the Strathmore V Doutta Stars semi final?

Apparantly, Strathmore took the covers off late on Saturday evening in the hope that rain would wash the next day out & they would progress to the Grand Final.

Alas, a couple of guys from Douttas were awake to what they might be upto & went for a look & put the covers back down.

Rumour has it that a past Doutta curator now involved with Strathmore may know a little more about it as well as an incident early in the year when a Douttas hose was left on & then ended up with Strathmore.

Interesting story for the VTCA to investigate if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back