A2 Moonee Valley
South A1 Mentone
A2 Parkdale
North B1 Jacana
B2 Aberfeldie
South B1 Aspendale
B2 Carnegie

Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Glen Orden Sports Club is looking for Senior Cricket players who would like to play winter Cricket, it will played on Matting, the Season starts on the 1st May and goes to 28th August, play will be all over the metro area, playing clubs such as LaTrobe, Bundoora, Oakleigh, Brighton, etc. Glen Orden is one of the clubs in the foundation year of the New Association. If you know anyone who would like to play or if you would like to play please email angela@glenordensportsclub.com.au Glen Orden Sports Club is in Werribee Thanks..

southern sledge;392564 said:
1st and 2nd X1 tips

Senior Div. APWSTC
2nds APWSTC
North Div Doutta
2nds Greenvale
South Div Bentleigh
2nds Beaumaris
North A1 Moonee Valley
A2 Moonee Valley
South A1 Mentone
A2 Parkdale
North B1 Jacana
B2 Aberfeldie
South B1 Aspendale
B2 Carnegie

Does anyone know the result in senior division?

F.I.T Cricket;394443 said:
Does anyone know the result in senior division?

Yarraville Club won 9 wickets down, with APWSC's John Taylor receiving the Player of the Match award in a losing side. A magnificent game of cricket! Credit must go to both teams for the spirit in which the game was played, bearing in mind the circumstances of Saturday night/Sunday morning.

GillyGilly;394468 said:
Yarraville Club won 9 wickets down, with APWSC's John Taylor receiving the Player of the Match award in a losing side. A magnificent game of cricket! Credit must go to both teams for the spirit in which the gametop was played, bearing in mind the circumstances of Saturday night/Sunday morning.

top class cricket played over 4 days! Congrats to YC, comiserations to APWSC!

GillyGilly;394468 said:
Yarraville Club won 9 wickets down, with APWSC's John Taylor receiving the Player of the Match award in a losing side. A magnificent game of cricket! Credit must go to both teams for the spirit in which the game was played, bearing in mind the circumstances of Saturday night/Sunday morning.

What happened Saturday night/Sunday morning?

Northern $uper$tars;394508 said:
Don't know all of the details, but heard ice was placed under the covers Saturday night and the game was moved to Port Melbourne Sunday morning.

Ice at both ends of the pitch at a good lengeth, lucky Port Melbourne ground was available.

Someone was a dickhe@d for doing what they did. :confused:

Opening Batsman;394517 said:
Ice at both ends of the pitch at a good lengeth, lucky Port Melbourne ground was available.

As an outsider, someone answer me this (or at least give me your thoughts) - who would do such a thing and why?

Is it just petty vandalism, carried out by kids or is it something more sinister (carried out by a player/team)? I don't want accusations or names, just an understanding of the issue, not least as I see this sort of behaviour mentioned elsewhere on the site/in previous years.

To qualify it, I don't think I've ever heard of it happening in the UK. Yes, you get the very rare occasion where kids drive cars/bikes over the wicket (I think I've seen it once in 20 years although I guess petty vandalism would happen more elsewhere in the country) but nothing which seems as deliberate as placing ice on a wicket or damaging the pitch in some way.

I guess that what I'm saying is, if it was a 'cricketer' responsible for it, then what do they actually get out of it? Is it revenge, jealousy or just in the hope of getting a game called off, null and void?

If there was no play AWSC would have won because they led on the first innings, one day the truth will come out, but at this stage nobody can accuse anybody of putting the blocks of ice under the covers.
I would hope this thread doesn't become a accusations thread, so please lets post about what a wonderfull game of cricket it turned into.
Was lucky enough to watch the end and there must of been about 600 there. Thats what you want in your top grade, four days of great cricket by two very good teams. Port Melbourne should be congratulated for getting the wicket back up.

southern sledge;394522 said:
If there was no play AWSC would have won because they led on the first innings, one day the truth will come out, but at this stage nobody can accuse anybody of putting the blocks of ice under the covers.

Surely though, by ice (or whatever) magically appearing on the wicket it points the finger squarely at the team who benefits by that ruling? Unless someone is calling bluff, no team would be that naive to actually carry out something like that, would they?

Again, I'm not accusing anyone or any team (hell, I don't even know who was actually playing and nor do I care). I'm just curious as it seems madness to me and no one really wins by doing it.

My thinking is this:

Team A lead on first innings, so will benefit and get the win if the game is called off. Obvious therefore, to understand why someone might attempt do this. However, it is a hollow victory (at best) and you're going to piss a fair people off on your own side let alone elsewhere. There is also the fact that is looks fairly damning and very easy to point the finger of blame.

Team B are behind on first innings so get no obvious benefit. However, they believe that they have no chance of getting back into the game, so decide to throw it. If they force the game to be called off they lose with 'dignity' and can claim that they would have come back but the other side wimped out. Again though, it must cause bad feeling between the perpetrator others in team B, let alone in other teams.

Either way all it achieves is bad feeling and stores up potential trouble. I just can't see any real winners which is why it puzzles me. Why be happy with the hollow victory or deny yourself a chance of getting back into the game? To use the old cliché, it's just not cricket.

southern sledge;394526 said:
YCCC were the ones disadvantaged by it as the Port outfield is a lot slower than Spotty.

Like mas cambios, I'm not accusing anyone or any team of anything, but would those responsible for the ice damage know that the match would be moved to Port Melbourne? Surely not. Surely they are looking for the game to be called off, or at the very least, delayed long enough that an outright result couldn't be achieved.

What ever circumstances this has happen, it is very disappointing, but like Sledge says, luckily it didn't spoil a classic game of cricket. Congrates to the people responsible for making Port available and ready for play at such short notice.

Not sure what would drive someone to go to all the effert to do something like that anyway, sad sad people.It is only club cricket and a flag on offer....not like we are playing for a pot of $1 million.

the match was moved to Port Melbourne ground because the ground was vacant on the Sunday has the Greenvale Doutta Stars grand finall had already finished the day before.

The Port Melbourne pitch was already preapred, it was just left uncovered overnight not expecting a game to be played on Sunday.

Pitch damage hey?!!... Think they need to get a bit of perspective out there. God, it is only park cricket after all, we're not playing for sheep's stations!

As an aside, I captained a 2nd XI game out at Airport West a few years back. They batted first, racked up 250 odd and come the 2nd week the wicket was heavily rain-affected. No umpires, so it was obviously a case of mutual agreement between captains to decide when to start... Well, you should have heard the carry-on from AW - the president and secretary storming about, threatening to get a VTCA official down to make a ruling etc etc....

mas cambios;394525 said:
Surely though, by ice (or whatever) magically appearing on the wicket it points the finger squarely at the team who benefits by that ruling? Unless someone is calling bluff, no team would be that naive to actually carry out something like that, would they?

Again, I'm not accusing anyone or any team (hell, I don't even know who was actually playing and nor do I care). I'm just curious as it seems madness to me and no one really wins by doing it.

Hi Mas,

Without wanting to be accusatory, it would seem someone who wanted Airport West to win would have had to of been responsible (not necessarily someone from the club, just someone who wanted them to win, or YCCC to lose)

As for not happening in England, probably because all one day games, a team can never be in a position where it knows its chances arent good and not playing would be beneficial....

I was also there for the end of the game and thoroughly enjoyed it !! !Excellent standard of cricket, good atmosphere and a credit to both clubs...

Maybe it's time for the VTCA to raise affiliation fees and hire guards at wickets overnight; especially in the higher grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back