VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Doug;394569 said:
Maybe it's time for the VTCA to raise affiliation fees and hire guards at wickets overnight; especially in the higher grades.

You are right Doug...During the speech made by the VTCA at the Senior Division flag and medal prresentation at Port Melbourne yesterday....he said that as a result of what happened, security will be hired during finals next season.

Excalibur;394578 said:
You are right Doug...During the speech made by the VTCA at the Senior Division flag and medal prresentation at Port Melbourne yesterday....he said that as a result of what happened, security will be hired during finals next season.

What a crock. The only reason security etc is now being discussed by the VTCA is because their golden child Y'ville was nearly shafted. As far as i know all comps affiliation fees are the same & yet the only grounds that will be guarded (if it happens) will be Snr, Nth & Sth Division. The rest can fend for themselves. It happens every year in every grade & now the toothless tiger is talking about doing something about it. Every year someone gets robbed & finally it was Y'ville, now the wheels are in motion. I wonder what would of happened if it was Keilor, the Vics would of been moved so Russ & the boys got a shot at it. The comps a joke for letting it go on this long & the people that actually go out there to sabotage the wicket need to have a good look at themselve. No point in shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Semi final weekend a team cops it every year, we all know someone's going to get cheated out. Maybe next season don't even bother with a semi top 2 play off for the granny & save everyone some time because it will happen again. Maybe the granny should be over a weekend, we play that way all season & then it changes, why? Teams can get an outright in a two day game look at the results during the season. Maybe something to look at.

What if your side finishes a couple of runs behind the top side and the first two days are washed out, would you still want a 2 day GF ?

DizzyGillepsie;394671 said:
last sentence is a fair point. all other club comps in victoria play 2 day grand finals.

Willy comp plays a 6-day GF.

4 day GF is the way to go, it ensures the best side wins in my opinion. The hiring of security guards is a great idea, we've seen problems or allegations at Strathmore & Werribee Centrals in semi finals, and now the Senior Div GF. Something has to be done and it will stop all this crap from happening again.

But how far will the vtca go?? So does EVERY semi & grand final get security guards? I bet not!! Look i understand the senior division is the pinnacle of the comp. But there is very good cricket played throughout north & south divisions played by quality teams who train & compete hard to win and progress up the vtca ladder. So will they get the same treatment as the top tier?

The vtca commission needs to realise that they represent and look after the WHOLE competition. Not just senior. If they perceive there is a problem with wicket tampering in finals (which there is), then come up with a plan that helps everyone. Not just the lucky 1-2 games that will get a security guard. I am sick & tired of being treated like second class citizen since i play for a club that isn't in the top tier. What has happened over the last month in regards to finals wickets has been a joke but the bigger farce is the vtca not caring about it until it affected their pride & joy. I know they do a lot of good, but gee the commsision has some very strong blinkers on when making decision at times.

didn't realise the wdca had a 6day GF? do they also play a 3 innings per side match just to make sure that the best team really does win?

my opinion is that the best team should be judged on the same conditions that have been played all year, and if you get washed out over a weekend well the team that finished higher wins, such is the priviledge of finishing higher on the ladder.

anyway, moving right along to more imporatant things...

southern sledge;394676 said:
What if your side finishes a couple of runs behind the top side and the first two days are washed out, would you still want a 2 day GF ?

What if 4 days are washed out, what if the pitch gets tampered with...Higher ranked side should get the benefits of finishing higher, what i'm saying is if it's a 2day game & the pitch is ok Saturday then it should be ok for Sunday. If not questions need to be asked but never seem to be. When they are nothing happens anyway, same as the yellow/red card rule - pointless if you don't act on it. Same conditions apply 80 overs each & maybe have a reserve day on the next weekend if required. Why do we need a 4 day 2 innings format when it doesn't happen all season. I don't see the relevance of it, this could be a perfect opportunity to give the second week as a back up. I understand cricket purists think a 4 day game is a better test of a teams ability but something needs to change. Maybe keep the 4 days & make it maximum 80 overs per innings & the game can still be won on 1st innings if weather affected....they need to do something.

Having asked around the traps it seems most comps....although there will be different i'm sure......seem to stick with what they have played all year, 2 day finals. If the weather is a problem then maybe you have a reserve day being the following weekend.Lets face it you wouldn't play a test match for the final of the world cup, or a 50over match for the IPL final!

Lets face it, what happened on Saturday night/ Sunday morning was terrible.
Whom every sabotaged the pitch knew exactly what they were doing, to the extent grass clippings were placed over the ice to keep the moisture in/attempt to hide what had been done.

The speech made during the presentation on Sunday afternoon implied that the price of playing in finals would go up, not the price of playing in the competition, meaning that sides playing would need to bear the brunt of the costs involved in secturity.

But to the VTCAs credit they were able to move the grand final to another venue, which had its up sides and its down sides for both teams playing.

The cricket played was of a high standard, even if the over rate on the two sundays was a little slow....

Congratulations to Port Melbourne for allowing the use of their ground and facilities, especially when they had already cleared out all their tables and chairs and other equipment.

Another classic Senior Division final, played in fairly good spirit...

underarm bowler;394706 said:
Having asked around the traps it seems most comps....although there will be different i'm sure......seem to stick with what they have played all year, 2 day finals. If the weather is a problem then maybe you have a reserve day being the following weekend.Lets face it you wouldn't play a test match for the final of the world cup, or a 50over match for the IPL final!
But the Sheffield Shield final is a 5 dayer, instead of the normal 4 dayer.

2time;394705 said:
What if 4 days are washed out, what if the pitch gets tampered with...Higher ranked side should get the benefits of finishing higher, what i'm saying is if it's a 2day game & the pitch is ok Saturday then it should be ok for Sunday. If not questions need to be asked but never seem to be. When they are nothing happens anyway, same as the yellow/red card rule - pointless if you don't act on it. Same conditions apply 80 overs each & maybe have a reserve day on the next weekend if required. Why do we need a 4 day 2 innings format when it doesn't happen all season. I don't see the relevance of it, this could be a perfect opportunity to give the second week as a back up. I understand cricket purists think a 4 day game is a better test of a teams ability but something needs to change. Maybe keep the 4 days & make it maximum 80 overs per innings & the game can still be won on 1st innings if weather affected....they need to do something.

Granted the higher team should have the advantage, that does however not sometomes work as in the case of this year - Greenvale 1 loss for the year finishing second to strathmore with 2 losses.) Greenvale missed 2 games that other teams played that they had no control over (weather), lets firstly fix this bonus points system that severely disadvantages teams playing clubs with less than capable resources for making sure wickets are ready regadless of weather. Surely we cant expect clubs to have curators on call, this is not Premier cricket. Points system being fairer means if you are on top and weather affects finals then higher team deserves the pie.

The bonus points for incompleted second innings has got to go. No ifs and butts about it. 99% of people agree. The integrity of the comp is comprimised each year and every year. You should only count points of completed innings!

We have a pretty good comp and it will only get better. The promotion and relegation system is brilliant and its something few other cricket comps can boast.

The issues of the weekend are a joke. Not much anyone can do but I'm sure the VTCA will try and provide security next year. Realistically there is nothing more they can do. You can't stop cheats and morons. Control what you can control and manage the rest the best you can.

The Sheffield Shield is 5 days and anyone who listened to the coverage knows that most people think its a bit of a joke the draw is enough rule and may even give the final the arse.I don't think elite levels of sports can or should be compared to club levels.
I watch with interest if the league follows through with the security thing.

The efforts of some clubs to get wickets up must be looked at as well. some work hard to make it a level playing field and others... well we all know what some attempt or rather, dont attempt

Quite simple, get rid of the bonus points system & have 6 pts for the win, 3 for the draw. % for & against determines positions.

No one wants to go out for a 2nd innings when they have already lost. Premier cricket do it, as do most other comps. As soon as the game is won/lost game over.

Not Out;394819 said:
Quite simple, get rid of the bonus points system & have 6 pts for the win, 3 for the draw. % for & against determines positions.

No one wants to go out for a 2nd innings when they have already lost. Premier cricket do it, as do most other comps. As soon as the game is won/lost game over.

couldn't agree more.

DizzyGillepsie;394694 said:
didn't realise the wdca had a 6day GF? do they also play a 3 innings per side match just to make sure that the best team really does win?

my opinion is that the best team should be judged on the same conditions that have been played all year, and if you get washed out over a weekend well the team that finished higher wins, such is the priviledge of finishing higher on the ladder.

anyway, moving right along to more imporatant things...

A WDCA GF has more overs than a test match. Ridiculous!

We were involved in the churches when the wicket tampering occured in our Semi Final. As a result comp done nothing about it now the comp is struggling.

Finger ponting the blame game will go on for ages innocent parties get blamed hatred for other teams amplifies small minded people with brains of a peanut create a whole lot of head aches for the rest of us. i know we dont play for sheep stations but its our little patch of turf and we've invested 6 months of our lives in it. The Missese gets shitty the kids miss ya, ya miss out with the boys at the beach Rye, Lorne etc its a hard pill to swallow.

I believe Security gaurd are a must for Semi Finals and Grannys and if we have to pay for it so be it i suppose its a sign of the times CCTV and the like.

I also believe it should be across the board B1,A1,Nth & Senior. A lot of clubs put in a lot of hard work and invest in the future to climb the ladder thru promotion, its the major feature of the VTCA so every one should have an equal chance of getting promoted more so than Senior division i would think.

One last thought do we have a venue that can support all the First Grade Grannys Senior, Nth, A1, B1 and create a carnival atmospher to showcase all the grades at the one venue. Seconds can play at other venues but priority being Firsts.

Could imagine some serious recruiting going on there:D

Well done to Aberfeldie Park,Moonee Valley Greenvale.Yarraville;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back