VTCA Cricket - General Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: VTCA Cricket - General Chat

thinking about cricket;394770 said:
Granted the higher team should have the advantage, that does however not sometomes work as in the case of this year - Greenvale 1 loss for the year finishing second to strathmore with 2 losses.) Greenvale missed 2 games that other teams played that they had no control over (weather), lets firstly fix this bonus points system that severely disadvantages teams playing clubs with less than capable resources for making sure wickets are ready regadless of weather. Surely we cant expect clubs to have curators on call, this is not Premier cricket. Points system being fairer means if you are on top and weather affects finals then higher team deserves the pie.

"Into the wind" & "Thinking about cricket" - Going back a few years - I'm sure you both had a good time at my bucks night - not that either of you realises who the othe one is!!!!!!

Doug;394833 said:
I hear that Mick Lewis is signed and sealed to Gr$$nvale

that is interesting.... anyone else confirm or deny this....
great effort by greenvale winning 4 flags... 1,2,3 and 7ths.....

Wouldnt surprise me if Greenvale had signed Lewis... rumours that they had put pen to paper with a couple of players already have been circulating since the weekend...

I get Greenvale’s grand final side at 46 points. 9 players will lose 1 point next year for another year at the same club (2 players are already on zero points). So if they fielded the same side next year they would have 37 points. The points cap looks like reducing to a lowest of 48 (from memory). This would leave them 11 points to recruit new players.

Lewis played sub district 1st last year so he would be rated 7 points I believe. Drop Livingstone (3 points) and they still have 7 points left to recruit another quality player.

So no problems under the points cap. Back them in for finals in senior.

Greenvale, apw/sc and yccc seem to be the big benefactors from the points system in its initiation. They were paying more than two players for years but got the luxury of these players losing points for years at the club. It will eventually level out, might just take a few years.

Mankad;395019 said:
I get Greenvale’s grand final side at 46 points. 9 players will lose 1 point next year for another year at the same club (2 players are already on zero points). So if they fielded the same side next year they would have 37 points. The points cap looks like reducing to a lowest of 48 (from memory). This would leave them 11 points to recruit new players.

Lewis played sub district 1st last year so he would be rated 7 points I believe. Drop Livingstone (3 points) and they still have 7 points left to recruit another quality player.

Greenvale, apw/sc and yccc seem to be the big benefactors from the points system in its initiation. They were paying more than two players for years but got the luxury of these players losing points for years at the club. It will eventually level out, might just take a few years.

Fact is very rarely does it come to the Finals and last 2 teams left aren't the 2 that have spent a truck load(there will always be exceptions - St Albans). THAT IS FACT
Before anyone from APW or YCCC or GVale or MValley or Aber Park get on here I am not having a go at you, congratulations on getting your club in the position to have the $$$ to spend. When you can offer good players more than anyone else they will sign(unless you are a rabble, cause let's face it, the current enviroment is about how much $$$ you can get, first, then facilities ect.). If you can recruit 1 or 2 good cricketers that usually results in more interest around the club and more people to help, thus creating a better enviroment.
The Points system is a good one, unfortunatley it doesn't matter what system is in place, the clubs with more money will always have an advantage simply because the can pay more!!!!!!!!!!!
VTCA System(like the Ammo's in the footy) is the fairest, if you can't keep up you get relegated.

Mankad;395019 said:

The word is that they are after 3 others apart from Lewis

Greenvale after 3 more, would that surprise anyone??? Points will become an issue if they're after 3 more though. Guess that’s why at the vtca meeting the rep from Greenvale was not a happy camper when informed the points cap would be going down!

On a side note, do people really begrudge cricketers being compensated well? They way I see it is local footy clubs have been paying players for ever in a day. If you happen to be good at cricket why shouldn't you get paid well?

DizzyGillepsie;394694 said:
didn't realise the wdca had a 6day GF? do they also play a 3 innings per side match just to make sure that the best team really does win?

my opinion is that the best team should be judged on the same conditions that have been played all year, and if you get washed out over a weekend well the team that finished higher wins, such is the priviledge of finishing higher on the ladder.

anyway, moving right along to more imporatant things...

I believe there are a few spotty players moving on, anyone interested in a coaching job in the moreland Moonee Valley comp please reply on here and I can arrange discussions. As for playing the same 2 day conditions for a grand final, you need to get with the program. Two innings over four days under finals pressure, best two teams playing off will generally produce good cricket and over 2 innings will produce the best team.

underarm bowler;394706 said:
Having asked around the traps it seems most comps....although there will be different i'm sure......seem to stick with what they have played all year, 2 day finals. If the weather is a problem then maybe you have a reserve day being the following weekend.Lets face it you wouldn't play a test match for the final of the world cup, or a 50over match for the IPL final!

but they do play a FIVE day final for the Shefield Shield which is normally played over four days. 50/50 is exactly that and 20/20 is exactly that, so get over it, the best team will win over four days and if game not finished the highest finishing team should win.

F.I.T Cricket;395126 said:
I believe there are a few spotty players moving on, anyone interested in a coaching job in the moreland Moonee Valley comp please reply on here and I can arrange discussions. As for playing the same 2 day conditions for a grand final, you need to get with the program. Two innings over four days under finals pressure, best two teams playing off will generally produce good cricket and over 2 innings will produce the best team.

Ahhh the silly season. I just love it. I believe there are a few spotty players moving on Not sure who has told you this, but a fair way from the truth. As I am heavily invovled with our list for next year, I can tell you that at present, there will be 2 def not playing. 1 is undertaking a fair bit of schooling (out of work hours) and the other lives in the UK and won't be coming back. Hardly what I would call you moving on?? So I guess if you count 2 as a few, well done. I can tell you we are a fair way down the track in planning for next year. In fact this process started mid Jan.

Congrats to all GF winners.

Mankad;395019 said:

greenvales side had more than 2 players on 0 points

5 from the grand final side were juniors at the club

top of off;395201 said:
greenvales side had more than 2 players on 0 points

5 from the grand final side were juniors at the club

J kent, m kent & jones zero points

S ranno & waterman 1 point.

Still equals 46 points, missed one of the kents as a zero pointer.

Too Old Body Broke;395167 said:
Ahhh the silly season. I just love it. I believe there are a few spotty players moving on Not sure who has told you this, but a fair way from the truth. As I am heavily invovled with our list for next year, I can tell you that at present, there will be 2 def not playing. 1 is undertaking a fair bit of schooling (out of work hours) and the other lives in the UK and won't be coming back. Hardly what I would call you moving on?? So I guess if you count 2 as a few, well done. I can tell you we are a fair way down the track in planning for next year. In fact this process started mid Jan.

Congrats to all GF winners.
How much revenue did you lose on the last day of the GF. It makes it tough on clubs that make their facilities available. Hopefully whoever is responsible will be caught and banned for life.

Mankad;395202 said:
J kent, m kent & jones zero points

S ranno & waterman 1 point.

Still equals 46 points, missed one of the kents as a zero pointer.

why would waterman and ranno be on 1 point though

next year they will be zero right?

top of off;395209 said:
why would waterman and ranno be on 1 point though

next year they will be zero right?

How the system works is beyond me. Every first XI players points allocation is available on the vtca website though.

Yes they will both drop a point next year.

southern sledge;395207 said:
How much revenue did you lose on the last day of the GF. It makes it tough on clubs that make their facilities available. Hopefully whoever is responsible will be caught and banned for life.

A bit hard to put a $ figure on it. Disapointing to see quite a few clubs, who situated themselves on the hill, bringing their own to watch the game tho. And it looked like some were actually running a bar/takings for sales as well.

It will be interesting to see if the exec do anything about the moron/s who decided the wicket looked a little too dry for their liking. I am sure it will be difficult to track down who the culprits are, unless someone knows and is prepared to spek out? Highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back