VTCA Season 2019/20

Anyone hear about what happened at YCCC on Saturday night/Sunday morning? Apparently YCCC curator filled in the footmarks all over the pitch with soil and water to patch the footmarks up. St Albans not happy and the game started late on Sunday. I am guessing the game will be played under protest if this is the case.
Oh dear! He also curates for a subbies club and that comp allows repairs to bowlers' foot-marks by hand-held watering can within one hour of completion of the first day's play.

Last season in a 2nds semi match in Div3 hosted by Sunshine Heights C C v Sunshine C C the latter was required to bat on the second consecutive day and played under protest as not only had the batting boxes been repaired by application of water, the entire pitch had been irrigated and refaced with grass clippings. Sunshine C C played under protest but the VTCA in its wisdom did not award the game to Sunshine (which it lost). In the subbies, the decision would have been reversed because there is a specific provision in its rules to that effect. Unfortunately, as reference to E48.3 on page 95 of the VTCA's Board of Management rules reveals, it does not have a prescribed penalty. What earthly good is rule E48.3 in the absence of a prescribed penalty? I made this point to my club's president (I am not a member of Sunshine C C ) last season but he did not pursue it with the VTCA.

Oh dear! He also curates for a subbies club and that comp allows repairs to bowlers' foot-marks by hand-held watering can within one hour of completion of the first day's play.
The game clearly has to be awarded to St Albans if protested.
YCC clearly thinking they can get away with blatant cheating as you could see how dry it was after day 1 and that the spinners were going to play a huge part day 2 bowling into the rough off the bowlers follow thru. Vtca needs to have the balls to make a call to protect the integrity of the game.

YCC clearly thinking they can get away with blatant cheating as you could see how dry it was after day 1 and that the spinners were going to play a huge part day 2 bowling into the rough off the bowlers follow thru. Vtca needs to have the balls to make a call to protect the integrity of the game.
Yes the VTCA need to that and this is all Executive board members resign ASAP dissolve the VTCA and let Cricket Victoria take over

Initially, I thought it may have been due to an innocent mistake by the curator. I am now thinking maybe it wasn't the curator who was involved in the "repairs" if you can call it that, to the pitch. The post above by Longonman 1970 has been echoed many times elsewhere.

Getting mixed reports. We get an email from VTCA earlier today that the games will go ahead under certain conditions then in the local press that the games are looking less likely to go ahead

The Victorian Turf Cricket Association is exploring whether to finish playing its grand finals this week, in light of a progressing COVID-19 pandemic.

Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria both recommended today that all local cricket competitions cancel this weekend’s matches and bring an early end to the season.

The VTCA is half way through many grand finals, while other competitions are yet to start theirs.

VTCA president Steve McNamara said they were still looking at everything in an ever-changing environment.

“We’re still talking to people of the governing bodies and the insurance companies before we make a decision,” he said on Tuesday afternoon.

“We’ve been on the phone all afternoon. We are closing in on making an absolute decision.”

McNamara said the association wanted to make sure it was looking after the health and wellbeing of its players, describing the COVID-19 situation as an “extremely difficult time”.

He said it was looking less likely that the games would go ahead.

There will be a few nervous teams awaiting the association’s decision.

While several teams have already secured first innings leads, other matches are still up for grabs.

In the senior division, Yarraville Club is 4-165 in reply to St Albans’ 260. Former Victorian player Will Sheridan is at the crease for the Clubbers.

In division 1 north, Westmeadows has already claimed a first innings win against Glenroy.

In division 1 west, Aberfeldie is 6-135 in reply to Spotswood’s 177.

In division 2, 3 and 4, Newport-Digman, Sydenham-Hillside and Grand United respectively, have all claimed first innings victories.

Sunbury needs just two wickets to lead in the first innings against Moonee Valley. Moonee Valley is in trouble at 8-78 in reply to 232.

Getting mixed reports. We get an email from VTCA earlier today that the games will go ahead under certain conditions then in the local press that the games are looking less likely to go ahead

The Victorian Turf Cricket Association is exploring whether to finish playing its grand finals this week, in light of a progressing COVID-19 pandemic.

Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria both recommended today that all local cricket competitions cancel this weekend’s matches and bring an early end to the season.

The VTCA is half way through many grand finals, while other competitions are yet to start theirs.

VTCA president Steve McNamara said they were still looking at everything in an ever-changing environment.

“We’re still talking to people of the governing bodies and the insurance companies before we make a decision,” he said on Tuesday afternoon.

“We’ve been on the phone all afternoon. We are closing in on making an absolute decision.”

McNamara said the association wanted to make sure it was looking after the health and wellbeing of its players, describing the COVID-19 situation as an “extremely difficult time”.

He said it was looking less likely that the games would go ahead.

There will be a few nervous teams awaiting the association’s decision.

While several teams have already secured first innings leads, other matches are still up for grabs.

In the senior division, Yarraville Club is 4-165 in reply to St Albans’ 260. Former Victorian player Will Sheridan is at the crease for the Clubbers.

In division 1 north, Westmeadows has already claimed a first innings win against Glenroy.

In division 1 west, Aberfeldie is 6-135 in reply to Spotswood’s 177.

In division 2, 3 and 4, Newport-Digman, Sydenham-Hillside and Grand United respectively, have all claimed first innings victories.

Sunbury needs just two wickets to lead in the first innings against Moonee Valley. Moonee Valley is in trouble at 8-78 in reply to 232.

In div2 Sunshine made 160 in reply to Newport Digman's 121.

Personally I hope it goes ahead, need some sort of sport to keep sane, but how can VTCA go against the grain on this, every other comp is off.
There is no Covid-19 vaccine, it is highly contagious, there will not for some time be testing kits and specific testing centres for the public at large, and the federal and state governments hope the restrictive measures they are progressively implementing will prevent what has happened in Italy where there are insufficient ICU beds to provide for those in desperate need of them.

Still no update on next weekend on the VTCA's home page that I can see. Warrior's post quotes Steve McNamara as saying, inter alia, "We're still talking to people of the governing bodies and the insurance companies before we make a decision." Can anyone explain to me what is the relevance of talking to the insurance companies given my understanding they only pay out a benefit after an insured event? The whole thrust of the governments' initiatives are to prevent the spread of the virus in the first place. And it is not only the person contracting the virus that is affected--all those in contact with the person will be required to self-quarantine.

This was the email sent to clubs this morning.

Hello All,

Further to yesterday's email regarding allowing our board to gather further information from relevant bodies before making a final decision , I thank clubs for your patience and understanding while be sought out greater detail.

Our Executive Committee worked late into the night gathering relevant information from sources such as the Chief Medical Officer, Councils, our legal and insurance practitioners.

On the advise obtained, it is unfortunate that we will also be calling off the conclusion to our Grand Final matches immediately.

Some of the information suggested some of our stakeholders they being, Clubs, Players, Umpires, Officials and Spectators could be at risk if play proceeded.

It has always been the VTCA's Duty of Care to our stakeholders which would determine our final decision. Under no circumstance would we put any VTCA stakeholders at risk.

The Executive made this recommendation early this morning to the full board for the immediate cancellation of games, which the board has unanimously endorsed.

I understand this decision may be a bitter pill to swallow for some however safety to all must be the final and immediate factor.

Any decisions on the awarding of Premierships will be made in coming days as will the distributions of player awards as our Presentation Night will also be required to be cancelled on the advise received overnight..

Thank you for your patience and understanding, the board wishes you all on going good health.

Regards,

Steve McNamara
VTCA President

Still no update on next weekend on the VTCA's home page that I can see. Warrior's post quotes Steve McNamara as saying, inter alia, "We're still talking to people of the governing bodies and the insurance companies before we make a decision." Can anyone explain to me what is the relevance of talking to the insurance companies given my understanding they only pay out a benefit after an insured event? The whole thrust of the governments' initiatives are to prevent the spread of the virus in the first place. And it is not only the person contracting the virus that is affected--all those in contact with the person will be required to self-quarantine.
VTCA have called it off. Not against government policy if played no game would have had 500 people.

VTCA have called it off. Not against government policy if played no game would have had 500 people.

I didn't say "policy", I said "governments' initiatives", there is a difference. Given all the reasons for cancellation set out by McNamara, what took them so long? I am not impressed.

Match result disputed on MyCricket

Back