Watson - Love him or hate him?

Re: Watson - Love him or hate him?

Again, no argument there about some of the things he has achieved. He has stepped up. I'm talking about these personal milestones that seem to cloud his thinking, and the heat of the cauldron situations that haven't come round too often yet. Think Wanderers Stadium at a crucial point of a match against a rampaging Steyn & Ntini, or a Gibbs & De Villiers running hot when the game is up for grabs.

Nice thread, lets be honest, most people 'dislike' him because he is seen as a 'pretty boy' who is engaged to a sports TV presenter. Most of this angst towards Watson stems from pure jealousy.

People have cited a number of reasons, his attitude, his 'soft', his mentally fragile. Im not buying any of them.

For a start, you don't come back from the list of injuries Watson has had if your soft.

Watson is softly spoken off the field who once or twice has gone over board with his celebrations? Big deal.

I saw Singh run 100 metres across the SCG 2 years before rolling across the ground SAS style after getting Ponting out. It would make the celebrations seen in the Premier League look like childs play.

At the time people were fawning over Singh's celebration, saying what a great moment it was. There was none of this talk about Ponting being disrespected as there is now about Gayle. And lets be frank, we are talking about one of Australia's greatest ever cricketers.

A few days later Peter Roebuck was saying the Australian's looked like children when they celebrated after winning the test match, what did they do? They got into a huddle and jumped up and down for a few seconds.

There is amazing double standards when judging certain teams and individual cricketers. As I have just shown, I could sit here and cite numerous other examples, but I won't waste your time.

Watson is, from what I have read about him, a top bloke who has kept plugging away after years of disappointment and now his finally having some success. Yet there are people who just seem intent on trying to bring him down.

I personally wish Shane Watson every bit of success - he deserves it.

Urrghh! I think I'm going to be sick:(

Of course you're entitled to your view, but we will remain in disagreement on this topic. Probably forever.

I could be jealous of any bloke in that team, or any of those preceeding. But I'm not alone in my disdain for Watson in particular.

Don't know his missus, but I feel for her. It won't last anyway. He tried the "look at my missus" thing before, and again the public were forced to despair for the broken-hearted ********.

Who cares if he's softly spoken? I'm not going to judge him on that, because I simply do not want to hear what he's got to say off the field. That plop he trotted out on the banks of the Yarra after the Gayle controversy was enough.

Re the incident you're comparing to Watson's:
a) Harbhajan is commonly considered to be a provocative goose - amongst other things. That you have compared the two speaks volumes.
b) The direct mocking of a batsman, whoever he is, is the issue at stake here. Watson's "raw emotion" could have seen him run around in self-indulgence, but he was determined to go all the way with this one and get in the batsman's face, with the view of bringing Gayle down to his level.
c) Getting out an arch-rival such as Ponting, 2nd time in a match, for 1, in Australia, at a crucial point - is a pretty good moment by the way. Bigger than responding to a bit of verbal from an opponent you've already trodden upon.

The injuries, well. I've already given my opinion on that issue.

The main thing I have against Watson is his intentions are always on a personal level. I remember the great stoush he and Hodge had one domestic game. Watson hit him in the ribcage and gave him a mouthful after it, because Hodge had just hit him for six. Watson then proceeded every ball to glare at him and really get stuck into his body, allowing Hodge to score freely. Simpson the captain had to take him out of the attack because he wouldn't bowl to the field. He has also gotten out attacking bowlers that give him a mouthful.

I remember McGrath when he got angry on the field. Only happened a few times, one of which his wife was attacked on a very personal level by the batsman not on strike. Watson acts as if every thing slightly like that is like they are insulting his family or something dear to him. That may be the case, but I don't think everyone he bowls to calls his mother a whore. The latest example was his premadonna on Gayle. Harbajhan is my most hated cricketer in the world, but when comparing it to his celebration of dismissing Ponting, he wasn't aiming it at him. Watson was in Gayle's face, willing him to punch him, probably after saying something. Luckily Mr Cool can walk away from that sort of thing.

This reminds me of James Anderson to some level. I remember him getting angry at Hayden and pegging the ball at Hayden's stumps out of frustration for no reason, only for Hayden to actually turn the ball down to fine leg for a four, which didn't count, but angered him more and set his performance everywhere allowing Hayden to score 11 off the following 5 balls. This sort of thing happens to Watson.

Everything is personal to him.

I really want him to succeed though. I have followed him since he first made a step up as a state level player.

He's like the opposite to Hussey. Everyone has to automatically like Huss if they like cricket, even if he has gone through bad form. Watson is the opposite. Even if he goes through good form people are still going to hate him for being an arrogant prick. Doesn't mean they aren't thankful for his contributions though.

I have followed him for years, I remember his debut against SA in the ODI format back in 2002 as a 20 year old. At the time the selectors kicked Steve Waugh out of the ODI team, who at the time, was near inept at that format of the game.

Ponting took over, and Hauritz and Watson were 'blooded'.

From that moment Watson has always been around the ODI team but he really didn't 'cement' his spot until the 2007 World Cup.

I have always rate his batting, and Im not surprised at all with the success his having at the moment.

This thread is more if he can be liked after his antics, not his performance. Or at least that's my take on it.

I personally don't care what happens with a cricketer off the field, a la Andrew Symonds, but on the field is a different thing. Symonds for example (except for the Harbajhan incident) was quite exceptional on the field behaviour wise. Off the field was different though...

Watson on the other hand has all his controversies on the field, so therefore I have to take them into consideration when he is plying his trade. To me it ruins a completely fine cricketer.

Your not serious are you?

What about Symonds nearly bone rattling hit on that idiot streaker a few years back, at the time everyone was treating Symonds a hero, sure it was funny and at the time I remember laughing out loud as Ch 9 showed the massive hit with Richie calling it for us.

But imagine what would happen today if Watson decided to drop a streaker, there'd be riots and uproar.

Basically my point is that individual cricketers are marked against criteria that is determined by ones personality and appearance.

Watson is seen as the handsome pretty boy, and that goes against him.

Similar thing happened with Andrew Flintoff and Steve Harmison.

Flintoff was the beer drinking, pedalo sinking wild child who happened to be a fine allrounder.

Harmison was a fine bowler, but was seen as someone who was prone to inhibiting bouts of homesickness while he also at times gave of an aura that he really couldn't care less. People still remember him losing his runup at the MCG in the 2002/03 season.

Both are fine cricketers but each was judged with different criteria.

Symonds was, generally, liked amongst other teams and even went out to beers with some English players and such (anything for a beer :p). He was absolutely loved within the team, too, and when I say love, I mean on the borderline of strange. Watson, I have the feeling, isn't so much. Look on YouTube for the video of his outrageous celebration of Gayle's wicket. You see as he is doing that the other guys are just looking at him oddly, then start celebrating. Ponting even stops dead in his tracks and as Gayle heads off the field you can see him saying a word to him, hopefully an apology. He didn't look to happy did Ponting. Plus his comments about pushing Hughes out of the side at every chance, and pretty much everything about him makes you think his teammates don't like him too much. Can't be sure though, of course.

You have hit it on the head otherwise.

On that streaker comment, I couldn't leave it alone.

If any idiot is stupid enough to streak when Hayden and Symonds were at the wicket together, the two biggest blokes in probably the whole ground, and then charge at the dreadlocked one with a black eye, you would want to be knocked on your backside ;)

I agree with you, but the incident propelled Symonds up from the cult figure to the hero worship. So much so, that an ad on ch 9 during the cricket in the 08/09 season involved Symonds flooring some guy running down a street in a fairy dress.

I can't imagine the same reaction if Watto just decided one day at the Gabba to put a big Jono Brown hip and shoulder into a streaker with a belly full of lager.

Could you?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;382654 said:
I agree with you, but the incident propelled Symonds up from the cult figure to the hero worship. So much so, that an ad on ch 9 during the cricket in the 08/09 season involved Symonds flooring some guy running down a street in a fairy dress.

I can't imagine the same reaction if Watto just decided one day at the Gabba to put a big Jono Brown hip and shoulder into a streaker with a belly full of lager.

Could you?

Firstly you have to remember that if that happened to Watson he would be on the ground injured within a second. ;)

I wouldn't take it that way myself, I believe any streaker should be punished to that.

I think Watson wouldn't be looked down upon, as long as he is in Australia when it happens.

The difference though, is that if he did way Roy did and wait until he gets back up and charge and tackle him again, then the issues you say are going to rise.

Boris;382655 said:
Firstly you have to remember that if that happened to Watson he would be on the ground injured within a second. ;)

I wouldn't take it that way myself, I believe any streaker should be punished to that.

I think Watson wouldn't be looked down upon, as long as he is in Australia when it happens.

The difference though, is that if he did way Roy did and wait until he gets back up and charge and tackle him again, then the issues you say are going to rise.

Watson is a big boy, despite his injury troubles, I'd doubt he'd have any trouble dropping a flea.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;382654 said:

Could you?

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but all I can envisage is Watson trying to be brave but choking with fear, then getting hurt and keeling over clutching a wounded part of his body. All the while, the range of emotions are clearly embedded on his face.

Watson is a very big and powerful man, but he's no Roy or Haydos, especially with the injury records. Hayden went for a record number of consecutive Tests without the need to sit out for injury, and the only injury I can remember from Symonds when he was in definite contention for selection was the time when he was too powerful for his own good and crazily pulled his bicep off the bone, which set him out for a series and the start of the World Cup, but made an extremely fast comeback.

When I say those two are tough guys, I'm not talking about size but their inability to not get injured as well. Watson may be big, but if he were to step outside his probable comfort zone and go for that he may end up injuring himself. Hardly worth the effort if I were him.

Boris;382692 said:
Watson is a very big and powerful man, but he's no Roy or Haydos, especially with the injury records. Hayden went for a record number of consecutive Tests without the need to sit out for injury, and the only injury I can remember from Symonds when he was in definite contention for selection was the time when he was too powerful for his own good and crazily pulled his bicep off the bone, which set him out for a series and the start of the World Cup, but made an extremely fast comeback.

When I say those two are tough guys, I'm not talking about size but their inability to not get injured as well. Watson may be big, but if he were to step outside his probable comfort zone and go for that he may end up injuring himself. Hardly worth the effort if I were him.

Plus you have to remember what happened to Alderman as well in that situation. (tried to tackle a streaker and dislocated his shoulder)

The Ox;382816 said:
Plus you have to remember what happened to Alderman as well in that situation. (tried to tackle a streaker and dislocated his shoulder)

I was going to mention that, It was for a good cause :D. From what I remember he wasn't too small either. You have to remember Symonds was considering a career with the Brisbane Broncos in the NRL. Of all the cricketers on the field, including the skinny Indian team, they picked him. Idiot...

Ryan Francis;382819 said:
Looking at his Test batting record, he just had a decent home series. And looking at his ODI batting record, his last two series/tournaments have been productive.

Too little too late when you consider he has been playing international cricket for 8 years (ODI debut 2001/2002).

You have to remember that his injuries have caused the set backs. What has happened almost everytime is that he has played a brilliant season domestically, but he had to play so many games before he could be selected. Then right around the time of selection he would get injured. When he came back from injury as luck would have it there was a possibility of a spot for him and with only a couple of games he was whisked into the side without preparation and after a month out of the game he lost his form as you would expect.

Didn't always happen in that order, but he was always put into the side when he wasn't in the greatest of form and injury was taking it's toll. He has been very unlucky, but has done quite well in the ODIs regardless of what time he was in the team. Tests have been unfortunate and he's lucky the selectors still bothered with him. Also what is miraculous is that he hasn't been injured again, meaning he has done something very right. I say well done to him.

Ryan Francis;382819 said:
Looking at his Test batting record, he just had a decent home series. And looking at his ODI batting record, his last two series/tournaments have been productive.

Too little too late when you consider he has been playing international cricket for 8 years (ODI debut 2001/2002).

It has been tough with his injuries and thats why he is only starting to find his straps. Couple that with his age and he should be hitting his cricket peak around now, my only hope is that the found form won't go to his head.

Welcome to the forum as well :) is that our website Island Cricket? very interesting little site you have there.

Back