Watson - Love him or hate him?

Re: Watson - Love him or hate him?

One of my new years resolutions was to not be such a jerk, so good on Watson for his recent successes!

Boris;382828 said:
You have to remember that his injuries have caused the set backs.

D.K;382829 said:
It has been tough with his injuries and thats why he is only starting to find his straps.

Fair enough. I never took injuries into the equation. :)

D.K;382829 said:
Welcome to the forum as well :) is that our website Island Cricket? very interesting little site you have there.

Thanks for the welcome! No Island Cricket isn't mine. I'm a Mod there. It's owned by a friend. Thanks for the compliment D.K

how did i know you would have started this thread a4e? maybe all those maths classes were you constantly bagged him had something to do with it.

anyway, i am a watson lover, because he simply could easily be one of the best all rounders in the world. you take a look it as record most recently, where he for the first time has been 100 per cent fit, and he has totally dominated. he has taken key wickets with the ball, and really held up the batting, making it easier for the blokes coming in after him time after time.

attitude isn;t the greatest i admit, but i love how he wears his heart on his sleeve and what you get from him is raw emotion, and the love of playing for his country.

I didn't actually start the thread it was just a bunch of posts from the Australia v Windies thread moved in here.

He has been impressive lately, I admit. Let's see if he can maintain it for a few seasons. If he can, then he probably will be one of the best all-rounders in the world.

FMD, he's a good cricketer!!! I'm sick of all the Watson haters! he's getting results with bat and ball, he's just about been our most important player, give him a break.

It's kinda like liking Sreesanth in a way sometimes... a great bowler but you just struggle to not want to shake Harbajhan's hand for slapping him.

gbatman;383500 said:
FMD, he's a good cricketer!!! I'm sick of all the Watson haters! he's getting results with bat and ball, he's just about been our most important player, give him a break.

Most of us have acknowledged he is a good cricketer, and yes, he is doing extremely well. Doesn't mean we have to like him. Doesn't mean we can't still despise him either. We watch the game, just like you, and only have what we see to judge him on. As much as he has impressed with bat & ball since his reinvention, he has also "topped the averages", so to speak, as a class prat.

For anyone to suggest for a moment that other Australian cricketers do not play with passion, and value their spot in the team as much as Shane Watson is an insult to everyone else who has ever worn the baggy green. His failure to exhibit humility, good sportsmanship and contain his "raw emotion" is what we are picking up on. Perhaps more credit should go to all those who do not let themselves get carried away with the highs & lows cricket throws at them.

Sober Symonds;383740 said:
Most of us have acknowledged he is a good cricketer, and yes, he is doing extremely well. Doesn't mean we have to like him. Doesn't mean we can't still despise him either. We watch the game, just like you, and only have what we see to judge him on. As much as he has impressed with bat & ball since his reinvention, he has also "topped the averages", so to speak, as a class prat.

For anyone to suggest for a moment that other Australian cricketers do not play with passion, and value their spot in the team as much as Shane Watson is an insult to everyone else who has ever worn the baggy green. His failure to exhibit humility, good sportsmanship and contain his "raw emotion" is what we are picking up on. Perhaps more credit should go to all those who do not let themselves get carried away with the highs & lows cricket throws at them.

This^^^

Very well said sir.

And change your bloody avatar, I can't concentrate when I see it.:p

Thank-you. I will diligently protest my right to bag Shane Watson as long as this forum exists! He is an exeptionally irksome character - even more so than some of the others getting around in Australian (and world) cricket at the moment ... but don't get me started;)

At least my avatar isn't perpetually flickering at a fast rate, like A for Effort's last one - that was a challenge!

The guy did a stupid celebration against Gayle and uses hair product :rolleyes:. Nobody is perfect and he does seem to think highly of himself, but I don't know the guy personally, some people need to get a life..

Well you've listed a couple of things for starters. I can go on if you really want me to ...

Hey, you're on here reading this stuff, are you not? We're all here debate issues other than the world's problems, so suck it in.:)

Kram81;383765 said:
The guy did a stupid celebration against Gayle and uses hair product :rolleyes:. Nobody is perfect and he does seem to think highly of himself, but I don't know the guy personally, some people need to get a life..

Exactly, everyone knew that Watson and Gayle and other members of the Windies team (even ex teammate Nash) were trading barbs. Hell, one time at Adelaide when Watson was batting people were giving him heaps and he was dishing it right back :D:D

I don't have a problem with that, and the commentators all thought it was great, esepecially Tony Greig, who was a well known stirrer himself in his day.

As always when people are saying stuff it will go to far eventually, and Watson's celebration probably crossed the line, but I have seen similar celebrations over the years that didn't attract any of the uproar associated with Watson's celebration.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;383782 said:
Exactly, everyone knew that Watson and Gayle and other members of the Windies team (even ex teammate Nash) were trading barbs. Hell, one time at Adelaide when Watson was batting people were giving him heaps and he was dishing it right back :D:D

I don't have a problem with that, and the commentators all thought it was great, esepecially Tony Greig, who was a well known stirrer himself in his day.

As always when people are saying stuff it will go to far eventually, and Watson's celebration probably crossed the line, but I have seen similar celebrations over the years that didn't attract any of the uproar associated with Watson's celebration.

Probably?
Mate it was petulant, childish and downright embarrassing for Australian cricket and its followers.
I have been playing/watching cricket for coming up to 40 years and I have not seen the like of it in any form of the game.
Primary school playground stuff.

bushie;383812 said:
Probably?
Mate it was petulant, childish and downright embarrassing for Australian cricket and its followers.
I have been playing/watching cricket for coming up to 40 years and I have not seen the like of it in any form of the game.

The only other time I have seen that sort of thing is with Sreesanth. It's come to my attention that Sreesanth, Harbajhan and Watson all have a lot of points in common. They are all very fine players, but do you want their on field antics. Sreesanth dances when he hits a six, dances when he bowls someone, dances when he catches someone. He follows them all the way back to the pavilion taunting them after he gets their wicket. He racially abuses, insults, and simply goes too far. If your team mates have to hold you after you get a wicket to stop the other guy from beating them up, and even have to slap you it says something. Harbajhan does the same sorts of things, and even does things like announces on public Indian TV that Ponting is his bunny. Watson takes sledging too far, he claims catches that aren't catches, he meandres around after getting out, he shows emotions too readily, insults his team mates and puts forward his unfair plans out to the public, writes columns and blogs that are offensive. The list goes on.

Have to concur with Boris & Bushie. LtD & Kram, surely you cannot wonder why people feel this way about Watson? You don't, that's fine, but some of us look for a bit more in a cricketer than just being a good player and "livewire" personality. Call us hard to please, but there's a huge groundswell against Watson and it cannot be for no reason.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;383782 said:
Exactly, everyone knew that Watson and Gayle and other members of the Windies team (even ex teammate Nash) were trading barbs.
- I'm fine with that too. Keep it to barbs between yourselves and we don't have to get involved.

- Tony Greig, ey? Well, what more do I need to say? Perhaps we could listen instead to what Mark Taylor thought of it.

- That's what the line is for. Cross it, or don't cross it. If you do, you cop what's coming, son. Simple.

Again, it's not just about his performance v Gayle. That just typified what we already thought of him.

Doesn't follow the first and golden rule of cricket, to play in the spirit of the game. If you can't meet the first requirement then things start to go against you.

I don't have a problem with him. Sure he made a few mistakes with his behaviour but who hasn't.

Is doing the job very well for Australia.

bushie;383812 said:
Probably?

No, no you haven't.

as a player he's become pretty reliable and impressive.

as a bloke, id much rather sit and have a pint with hitler.

swann on the other hand ... now thers a man you'd like as ur best mate!

Back