What Is That Monty Doing On Our Cricket Team?

Re: What Is That Monty Doing On Our Cricket Team?

Half the England cricket team aren't even English, shows a lot about their talent.

Pietersen - South Africian
G Jones - from Qld
Holliaokes - were from Australia
Panesar - Indian

Imagine England without Pietersen!

Bennycoff;106182 said:
Half the England cricket team aren't even English, shows a lot about their talent.

G Jones - from Qld
Panesar - Indian

Bennycoff, I understand your argument - England have unquestionably taken a lot of players from other countries. (Ed Joyce from Ireland is their most recent acquisition.) However, it is not fair to put Monty Panesar into that category. Panesar was born and bred in England; putting him in that category just turns what you're saying into a racial thing. If you want to turn it into a racial thing, then I should point out that almost every cricketer in Australia has British ancestry.

Bennycoff;106182 said:

G Jones - from Qld
Panesar - Indian

Point taken, KP = South African (but easily replaceable).

But:-

Jones = dropped
Hollioakes??????
Monty = ENGLISH

Facts make good comment I feel....

they should have a Welsh side.....Jones could play for them.........or he could play for PNG

Can't believe I'm responding to such a juvenile original post in a thread, but what about Nasser Hussein? He was born in India. And what's with Sajad Mahmood? All those Pakistani immigrants in UK were wrongly harrassing him to be a traitor, when he helped England beat Pakistan.

If we're asking such racist and juvenile questions about nationality, how come England had Allan Lamb on their team? And they were happy to have Tony Greig as their captain? He couldn't even figure out if wanted to be known as English or South African or Australian. I could go on with more examples, but it's not worth it.

Stamislav;106222 said:
Bennycoff, I understand your argument - England have unquestionably taken a lot of players from other countries. (Ed Joyce from Ireland is their most recent acquisition.) However, it is not fair to put Monty Panesar into that category. Panesar was born and bred in England; putting him in that category just turns what you're saying into a racial thing. If you want to turn it into a racial thing, then I should point out that almost every cricketer in Australia has British ancestry.
Oh sorry, I thought he was from India, silly commentators.

Fair enough, but the rest of them are imports from other countries, thus England stealing talent.

It can only be a good thing. There are still other english players coming through A.Cook for example players like that can learn from others like Pieterson how have came here from other countries.

Bennycoff;109539 said:
Fair enough, but the rest of them are imports from other countries, thus England stealing talent.

Andrew Symonds has Carrieban parents and was born in England. He could have played for either West Indies or England, but plays for Australia. So the argument can go both ways, no?

You can extend this argument to many other sports.

Christian Vieri was born in Australia, but played for Italy for a long time. Simone Perotta was born in England, but played for Italy.

George Gregan has Zambian parents, but has played for Australia for a long, long time.

Freddy Kanoute was born in France to Malian parents, but chose to play for Mali instead of waiting to find out if he could make it to the French team.

And then of course, Zinedine Zidane born of Algerian parents played for France for such a long time.

To repeat, this whole argument about players' ambiguous nationalities can go on and on with too many examples. People have changed nationalities with immigration for hundreds of years. This is not a black-and-white topic.

Thierryy Henry's parents were from Guadeloupe.

And Symonds is an aboriginee.

But haven't you seen Monty before? Of course he's Indian!

Andrew Symonds was born in Birmingham, England.

He is of Afro-Carribean heritage.

At least one of his parents was from the The West Indies.

Back