What's the rules regarding this.....

Here's another one........... Whilst batting (that's a Joke) against an Offie I stretched forward to block the ball as close as I could to the point where ball pitched and completely missed it and it went through to the keeper who caught it and had the bails off. Staying where I was - I looked back at my foot and it was nicely behind the crease and made eye contact with the keeper and he smiled as if to say 'Yeah - lucky that time mate' and just checking I glanced over to the square leg umpire and his finger was safely stuck in his pocket and not pointing up in the sky. I then relaxed assuming I'd survived and that the ball was dead, as soon as I drew my back foot back under my body which was forward of the crease so as to turn round and get ready to face the next ball I heard a thunk and heard the Keeper shout Howzatt!!! Only to see all the stumps splayed where he'd hit the stumps again with the ball in his hand. Incredulous I looked across at the Square Leg Umpire and he shrugged his shoulders and raised his finger sending me back to the sheds!

A bloke I know who's played cricket for a long time has said that I wasn't out - because in order that the keeper indicates he's disturbed the woodwork again for a second shot at a stumping, he has to have the ball in one hand and pull one of the stumps out with the other hand. Can someone explain the rules in this instance and when does the ball become dead?

What's the rules regarding this.....

The batsman hits the ball - mis-hits and the ball falls almost dead behind him and it's rolling towards his stumps - I saw some footage today from last years world cup and the batsman stopped the ball using his bat. What's the rules here - is that legitimate and could you use your foot instead? As it happens the ball looked as though it was moving so slow that it probably wouldn't have dislodged the stumps anyway. But can someone clarify the rules - could he have bent down and stopped the ball with his hand for instance?

When I was over in Yorkshire playing I bowled a ball that a batsman defended but it rolled towards the stumps and he stopped it with his bat so I let fly with an almighty appeal only to be laughed at by all my team mates so I learnt the double hit rule the hard and embarassing way.

its the same as once the keeper has collected the ball and the batsman has stayed in his crease the ball is dead. if he then walks down the pitch to speak to his batting partner he cant then be run out. im not sure what the official line is on when the ball goes dead, but i think theres an element of common sense to it. you watch professional cricket and theres almost an unwritten rule that if the batsman clearly isnt leaving his crease for the purpose of running, having been in it at the time when a run out/stumping was possible, then he cant then be gotten out. its just bad sportsmanship and not in the spirit of cricket.

since the bails were off, the keeper does have to take the stump out of the ground i beleive, so you were not out. the fact that he had the nerve to do it anyway after the ball was clearly dead is just cheating in my opinion, and if someone did that to me i think theyd be wearing my bat around their face. you should have just refused to walk, i think the opposition captain has the power to retract the appeal. ive seen captains do it in international cricket when run outs have been made or catches off of situations where it wasnt really fair.

i got a run out in the summer in a T20 game. the bowler received the ball but kicked the stumps by mistakes and the bails went flying before he caught the ball. he then grabbed the stumps out of the ground to run me out after he caught it. i didnt really know the rules on it then and was pretty mad at being given out, and even the umpires were confused as to what it was. i stood my ground whilst they all discussed it and eventually a few of the guys that knew the rules best agreed it was out and justified it so that was that. its annoying at club level when you get those weird situations though, because 99% of players that umpire dont know the full rules. so youll always get contentious decisions. i got some shocking decisions playing indoor the other night by an umpire that didnt know the rules. it cost me about 12 runs and a wicket in the end, from 3 or 4 wrong calls!

Ooh Dave, that's a sore one! I have to say on a basic sporting level if you and the keeper made eye contact and acknowledged that the first stumping was not out, there's a strong case for saying that at that point the ball became dead.
LAW 23. DEAD BALL
1. Ball is dead
(a) The ball becomes dead when:
(i) it is finally settled in the hands of the wicketkeeper or the bowler.
(ii-x) not relevant in this case
(b) The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the umpire at the bowler's end that the fielding side and both batsmen at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.
2. Ball finally settled
Whether the ball is finally settled or not is a matter for the umpire alone to decide.

There is also the question of whether the wicket was fairly put down. Having tried to stump you the first time, I imagine both bails were removed, but if only one was removed it would be enough to remove the remaining bail for the wicket to be fairly put down.
If both bails had been removed, then in order to put the wicket down, as others have said, he would have to remove the a stump from the ground using the same hand that is holding the ball (he doesn't have to lift it up, he just has to clearly remove it) or he could replace one or both of the bails before whipping them off.

From the sound of it, this is a really silly decision. It smacks of poor sportsmanship, and if I had been captaining the fielding side I would have informed the idiot umpire that I was withdrawing the 'keeper's appeal and called you back.

Back