WHO/WHAT AM I

That sounds a French name. My guy is German, born in Wurzburg. He took the name of his birth town, big clue.
Doesn't help. I'm clueless. There's no contemporary of Luther with the name of a town, is there. I reckon some of your instructions and clues are wrong or misleading.
Why is that guy remembered?

Last edited:
Never heard of him nor of Karlstadt. That's a veritable knowledge gap, I admit. Thanks for the inspiration. 👍No idea why I've not heard of him although he was a central figure in Wittenberg and as a participant in the Leipzig Debate (and had premises in Woerlitz, a place I cherish very much).
How come you know him?

Last edited:
I have another German historical figure for you that made a big noise with another achievement, this one that the church today would condemn.

Andreas Rudolph Bodenstein von Karlstadt (1486 –1541)
I would never had got Karlstadt but looked him up and was fascinated by his story. A contemporary of Luther and often at odds with him. I liked the way Luther put the screws on him when he hid with him during the Peasant revolution. It was Theology up for grabs. Blinking Iconoclasts smashing statues was like a scene out of Monty Python's life of Brian. "We're the peoples western iconoclastic front of Hamburg!"

Beeldenstorm_(Iconoclastic_Fury)_in_Antwerpen_1566_Frans_Hogenberg.jpg Beeldenstorm.jpg

Last edited:
I would never had got Karlstadt but looked him up and was fascinated by his story. A contemporary of Luther and often at odds with him. I liked the way Luther put the screws on him when he hid with him during the Peasant revolution. It was Theology up for grabs. Blinking Iconoclasts smashing statues was like a scene out of Monty Python's life of Brian. "We're the peoples western iconoclastic front of Hamburg!"

View attachment 2763View attachment 2764
Like something Trump and his 'redreck' followers may do too.

View attachment 2763View attachment 2764
Interesting post, Terry. Thanks.

Back