WHO/WHAT AM I

Sorry, been away for a bit.
detailed knowledge you have about the GDR/DDR.
It's partly incidental - the romance of cold war spy stories and weekly news magazines. I did teach some modern European history for a couple of years despite not being formally qualified. English kids with nothing better to do get immersed in war history from an early age. I think I just got good at it.
I never met anyone here who taught mediaeval and reformation German history. The maps alone are daunting. An old history teachers' joke:
The two main things to remember about the Holy Roman Empire are that it was neither holy nor Roman.

I think this is a local story. Did it involve a scuffle at Darwin aerodrome?
Yes it did Vince. Evdokia Petrov, wife of defector Vladimir Petrov. I figured an Aussie would get it, but not so soon. Well done. Have you seen the mini series of the event. Recommended viewing.
:thumbsu:

Teacher jokes are dad jokes with references. I think it just means no Centurions or chariot racing.
Will try to think of next round this evening.
Yes, it depends on what is meant when one says "not Roman" any more. No Romans, no Roman culture, or no Roman Empire? Is the decline and decay of the Roman Empire as an organisational structure meant or are we talking about the decline of the Roman culture, the influx of other tribes into the empire and Rome itself?
Historians have interpreted that huge transformation process differently. For some it was a decline, for others it was a transformation during which the previously huge economic network of the empire slowly gave way to a regionally organised supply system with a partially declining standard of living. The attraction of the Roman culture remained unbroken, even though the empire disintegrated. Some regions even flourished. I think what is mostly meant is that the Roman Empire then lived on as an idea(l) which was also reflected in the name Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation.

Last edited:
no Roman culture, or no Roman Empire?
I was impressed by your observation a while back that Roman civil law had persisted so well in Germany. Obvious - how else to mediate disputes?
Rome the ever-present? And in later times the easy transposability of Rome as a shorthand for "the church". I can imagine conferences of cardinals and bishops endlessly discussing the relative fortunes in Germany of Church Militant versus Church Triumphant. Big and complex in so many ways, but of course
our English schoolboys only remember the bits about nailing things to doors and the (in English) hilariously titled Diet of Worms.

Have you seen the mini series of the event.
Nah, I'm becoming increasingly unobservant of media. I never even saw an episode of Throne of Games, if that was what it was called...

Not quite there yet. The lass has a particular. job description for what she's doing - and it was a skilled position.
A clue. What she's doing is "putting ends up". There's a single word for her in English and also in German. It's not the same word but either will do.
I don't speak German but dr. Google translates answer so far as Textilmechaniker, which isn't it.

Last edited:
Back