Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

Re: Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385688 said:
England were hammered by SA who apart from Steyn had a relatively ordinary attack.

I think "hammered" is the wrong word. We were outplayed in the third and fourth tests, and the first test was nearly thrown away on the Day 5 evening session. However, I don't think we were "hammered" in any of the games, save for the fourth test maybe.

On that tour, England learned how to draw a test match which is a vital skill if a team is to become the world's best. They did it twice successfully out of 3 tries which is not bad for a young team such as themselves.

I'm not sure about that, on both occasions (1st test, 3rd test) England looked like saving the game, an hour before stumps everyone thought that the test would be a draw. At that stage most opinion was directed towards the lifeless South African attack and what South Africa could do?

However, England collapsed and were lucky not to lose. Hammered may not be the right word but 'comprehensively outplayed' is probably a fit description.

Anyway, getting back to England n the Ashes

I reckon the team will look the same as it did the first three tests in SA
However, i would like to see a little change in the bowling, but no-one is challenging for a place, that COULD all well change in the forthcoming county season

Pattinson anyone? lol

I'd like to see Steven Finn or James Harris push for a place - Harris seems to be more ready than Finn, and seems to have a bit more going for him than Onions who, without swing isnt that interesting. I think what England lacks most, is out and out pace - Broads trying to fulfill that role is just silly

I can't see both Australia or England changing that much to be honest, there is some stuff flying around about Flintoff returning but you get the impression reading between the lines that he wasn't the most likeable bloke in the English dressing room.

In the meantime there will be a 5 ODI match series in July or sometime around then, no doubt these will be contested with a lot more intensity then the last series between the teams.

It will be a massive series that, both teams will be pushing to lay down a marker before the Ashes.

Would it though?

i mean Australia have a fair few players in the ODI sides who arent getting a look in in the Test games - Cameron White springs to mind

Similarly England have the same with Morgan and Denly

Like you say i think both teams will look to win as to have 'the momentum' going into the Ashes, but as a marker for the squads I'd have to say its less important, unless someone becomes someone elses bunny to the point that having them in the team would be laughable.

TeeJay1860;385860 said:
Would it though?

i mean Australia have a fair few players in the ODI sides who arent getting a look in in the Test games - Cameron White springs to mind

Like you say i think both teams will look to win as to have 'the momentum' going into the Ashes, but as a marker for the squads I'd have to say its less important, unless someone becomes someone elses bunny to the point that having them in the team would be laughable.

The Australian team is very similar to the Test team actually, the only difference being Marsh and White, with White being a possibility of playing Tests in the near future, perhaps by the Ashes and Marsh being of Test playing quality if there was a spot for him to be selected. By then Lee will probably be back playing ODIs, but most likely not Tests so he is the exception. Really there will only be one or two spots difference between the two.

The idea, though, is that these two teams will have a lot riding on these games to show some talent and hopefully gain momentum into the Test series.

Having an ODI series like that before the Ashes is huge for both teams.

TeeJay1860;385860 said:
Would it though?

Of course it will be massive.

England got thumped 6-1 last time backed up by an absolute mauling in the CT semi-final.

The bowlers on both teams will be playing in the Ashes, so there will be a heap to play for with regards to taking down opposition bowlers. England also seem to think they are pretty good at ODI cricket after a few wins :eek: s we need to give them a reality check.:D

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385906 said:
Of course it will be massive.

England got thumped 6-1 last time backed up by an absolute mauling in the CT semi-final.

The bowlers on both teams will be playing in the Ashes, so there will be a heap to play for with regards to taking down opposition bowlers. England also seem to think they are pretty good at ODI cricket after a few wins :eek: s we need to give them a reality check.:D

i agree with you mate, itll play a huge part in the confidence of the two sides - that little bit of chirp one side has over the other. im just saying, for the purposes of predicting an ashes squad i dont think itll be that useful as both teams have relatively stable squads

my god. how long ago was it that you could say that about an english team?!

TeeJay1860;385917 said:
i agree with you mate, itll play a huge part in the confidence of the two sides - that little bit of chirp one side has over the other. im just saying, for the purposes of predicting an ashes squad i dont think itll be that useful as both teams have relatively stable squads

That's a fair point.

TeeJay1860;385917 said:

As I said earlier mate, every day that passes is a day closer to us regaining that urn and those Ashes. Our chance will come.

Also, on a side note, to kill some time last night I was browsing through archive articles (sourced from Google News) from just before the 2006 Ashes.

It really is eye-opening how much crap was spoken prior to the series, even by so called 'expert judges'.

I remember Warnie saying that the boot camp was going to be a waste of time, then Kim Hughes saying that Warne was living in a fools paradise if he thought he should have captained Australia and that it would have been an 'embarassment' if Warne ever captained Australa. Warnie replied by saying he didn't respect Hughes.

The English then thought that we were infighting, this was in September 2006.

When the England squads were announced Ian Chappell said it was a good square, then a few months later after the series had ended he said the England squad had to many injured players.

Chappell also said that Stuey Clarke and McGrath couldn't play in the team, in fact, they were the two dominating bowlers of the series.

All in all, anything can happen this time around.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385925 said:
All in all, anything can happen this time around.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. bt lets not let that stop us from trying to guess/bag each other out :p

after all it is one of the greatest sporting rivalries for a very VERY good reason!

Watching Rodney Hogg tonight on Inside Cricket he basicaly said England might as well not bother coming, basically said that in Australian conditions England don't have the bowlers to get wickets when the ball doesn't swing.

theyr not suited to them no, but if broad bowls like he did at the oval, top of off, bit of movement with the reverse swing, which onions gets working a fair bit too, they will give it a good go

he gets a fair bit of jag off the seam, when hes not trying to pound it into the pitch

he'll last the series, but only because he can hold a bat pretty decently

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385930 said:
Watching Rodney Hogg tonight on Inside Cricket he basicaly said England might as well not bother coming, basically said that in Australian conditions England don't have the bowlers to get wickets when the ball doesn't swing.
What, so you respect Rodney Hogg's opinion now? A few weeks ago when he was questioning Australia's selection practices, you were heaping scorn on him for knowing nothing about cricket.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385959 said:
I meant his body won't hold up on the hard Australian wickets.

I disagree. his put on a fair bit of meat since his debut and his body has held up for a pretty strenuous season with the world cup, the windies series, world t20, the ashes, champions trophy, and the saffa series

im pretty sure he can survive the hard aussie pitches too

Caesar;385975 said:
What, so you respect Rodney Hogg's opinion now? A few weeks ago when he was questioning Australia's selection practices, you were heaping scorn on him for knowing nothing about cricket.

Don't shoot the messenger, just saying what he had to say.

Back