Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

Re: Who's likely to be in the Ashes 2010/11 in Australia

TeeJay1860;387207 said:
Unfortunatley Englands bowling stocks are pretty bare - your not gonna have a situation like in SA where you have de Wet, Parnell, McLaren and Tsobte (sp?) jostling for a spot, or Aus with Harris

England have bowlers, but i really cant see anyone who ISN'T in the test set up who's pushing for a place

Well both teams are going to have to settle a bowling lineup pretty soon, or at least on a group of bowlers that can do the job, the starting date is fast approaching.

To be perfectly honest we have a nice little entree coming up in a few months with some ODI's against the Poms in England which, no doubt, will be hyped in a pre-Ashes bout with every little thing analyzed in detail. The Guardian blogs will be going off with banter and phoney wars.

To be honest I nearly enjoy that stuff more then the cricket to be honest.:D

el-capitano;365878 said:
Until the last two tests, I didn't know what you guys saw in Broad. His bowling was terrible, and his batting was only handy at most.

The last two Ashes tests he really stepped it up I think and deserves to take the mantle off Flintoff! ;)

However, I'm not sure if the bowling cattle around him will be good enough in Australia for the next series, if its not swinging.

It will only swing for 10 overs with the Kooka !! the only ground the seamers might have any impact will be the Gabba unless the poms can unearth a couple of blokes that bowl 155/160 kms and reverse it later on then i dont think they are a chance !!!

Max;387715 said:
It will only swing for 10 overs with the Kooka !! the only ground the seamers might have any impact will be the Gabba unless the poms can unearth a couple of blokes that bowl 155/160 kms and reverse it later on then i dont think they are a chance !!!

Some nice little fixturing by Cricket Australia, as I predicted. Send England to Perth first, then send them to the two flattest decks in Australia - Adelaide and Hobart while flying them all around the country.

Then drop them in to the Gabba with it's bounce and pace about as far away as you can get from the easy paced nature of the wickets in Adelaide and Hobart. On top of that, hope the state teams can bat for a few days on end and really make England's bowlers work.

They will be going with 4 bowlers, and that is the area we can work away on.

I don't think England are a chance at all to be honest, I think Pakistan has a better attack then them. :D

Max;387715 said:

England were getting the ball to reverse a full 10 overs before SA ( about the 20-25 over mark) so effectively to the point that SA claimed there was something shady - this was before the 'stud-gate' incident.

What gibson did so well was build knowledge of irish swing and the ability to get it to do that early on. if england keep it up, and manage to get the ball into that state with the same expedience then they could have something - in 05 it played a huge role and i think it could again now.

Having said that i believe that you Convicts will have it purely because they know the pitches better than us Poms but you never know. Anything could happen - johnson could break down, hussey could dip in form again , siddle could get injured. Thers a 4 match (1 T20 and 3 odi) series vs Sri Lanka. It could build momentum but it could cause grave injuries that impact the ashes a la mcgrath in 05.

I think it'll be all up in the air until the first ball gets sent down. but till then im gna have to say that the future looks gold an green. unfortunatley

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387810 said:
I don't think England are a chance at all to be honest, I think Pakistan has a better attack then them. :D

probably true. But england wont set a defensive field and bowl wide of off stump in the hope the batsmen get themselves out. Better bowlers, no, better captain absolutley and i think thats more important. no point having the talent of aamer if you arent making use of it.

TeeJay1860;387826 said:
England were getting the ball to reverse a full 10 overs before SA ( about the 20-25 over mark) so effectively to the point that SA claimed there was something shady - this was before the 'stud-gate' incident.

What gibson did so well was build knowledge of irish swing and the ability to get it to do that early on. if england keep it up, and manage to get the ball into that state with the same expedience then they could have something - in 05 it played a huge role and i think it could again now.

Having said that i believe that you Convicts will have it purely because they know the pitches better than us Poms but you never know. Anything could happen - johnson could break down, hussey could dip in form again , siddle could get injured. Thers a 4 match (1 T20 and 3 odi) series vs Sri Lanka. It could build momentum but it could cause grave injuries that impact the ashes a la mcgrath in 05.

I think it'll be all up in the air until the first ball gets sent down. but till then im gna have to say that the future looks gold an green. unfortunatley

probably true. But england wont set a defensive field and bowl wide of off stump in the hope the batsmen get themselves out. Better bowlers, no, better captain absolutley and i think thats more important. no point having the talent of aamer if you arent making use of it.

Were England getting the ball to reverse consistently in SA?

Not that I was seeing, and I watched a lot of that series. They swung the ball in the 2nd test match when Broad went through SA, but that was in highly favourable conditions. I didn't see the ball move at all when England bowled outside of that short period other then brief new ball sing.

SA were simply trying to stir England up, and it must be said, they did that pretty well. However, at the same time SA had a point about what they rightly percieved to be 'suspicious activities'. Perhaps they went the wrong way about making those thoughts known, but there is no doubt they wanted to get under the skin of the English.

I can tell you now, and England can bring all the coachs they want, the ball won't be reversing consistently in Australia. You might get a few overs of new ball swing, but essentially the seamers will have to hit the pitch hard and that probably isn't suited to the likes of Onions and Anderson.

Mate, your playing just as many games as us leading up to the test matchs so there is every chance your team will suffer injuries as well. Adelaide and Hobart are the absolute roads. England will be going to Perth and Adelaide in searing heat and then trecking down to Hobart and it's cold and windy environment.

It is an odd fixture with a fair bit of travelling before the first test, I would have thought a match in Brisbane on Allan Border Oval, at least to get used to Brisbane's heat would have been essential.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;361695 said:
Pretty ordinary looking team, might throw a bit more money on England getting belted 5-0 next year.
5-0!!!!
You wish, we will beat you 2-1 easily, maybe 3-1.

Some interesting points I read in Wisden about the Ashes, only 7 months out from the return bout.

Flower identifies two major reasons why he began the series in confident mood: "First was the make-up of the respective teams. We were likely to play five bowlers, Australia only four. I thought it would be interesting to see which theory would come out on top.

What are England going to do now that Flintoff is out? They are currently going with 4 bowlers, if Flower is true to his 'ethos', then he'll play 5 bowlers in Australia. Which means that a batsmen has to miss out? Bell? Trott?

It is now Australia that has the 5 bowlers, while England only 4; I think it will be interesting seeing which theory comes out on top in Australia, with our hard pitches and searing heat.

England's 4 bowlers, or Australia's 5?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386320 said:
I don't want to see a contest, I want to see Australia win, whether by 500 runs or 1 run, it doesn't worry me at all. I think most Australians who follow cricket would think the same. Im quite happy for pitch doctoring, gamesmanship with tour game fixturing, state sides batting for days one end, whatever.

I presume you remember the Oval match and the blatant pitch doctoring that went into that strip, from that moment on all bets are off with regards to being welcoming guests and I think that is fair enough. If your going to play the game you better know the rules.

I said some time ago that what goes around comes around, we have already seen a small example of that with regards to South Africa producing a lively 4th test wicket.

I think we are well within our rights to make it as hard as possible for England, an Australian tour is already hard enough for English teams as it is, it brings everyone out of the woodwork and the abuse and ridicule the team gets is second to none.

We might as well make it harder for them, lets prepare slow, low roads for the English in the tour games. Then the state teams can win the toss and bat for days on end keeping England in the field.
We can easily do a 5 bowler attack with 2 spinners, rashid and swanny. and there are a few batsmen/all rounders who arn't too shabby with the ball (eg collingwood, although some people are writing him off, he is a good player mentally for me).

Of course Australias 5 bowlers is reliant on Shane Watson staying fit, you often say that England wont cope with 5 tests in a short period, how will someone like Watson cope as an all rounder? If any bowler was to break down he would be most likely

Anyway I do love how you still cant get over this alleged pitch doctoring, such a shocking effort by the Oval curator not to prepare a traditional Aussie 500 v 500 snore draw pitch, but instead a pitch that offered something for both batsmen and bowlers and saw 300+ scored in 3/4 innings, yet it was allegedly such a magical pitch it turned to shit for just half a day when Australia batted, amazing stuff by the curator to be able to do that, of course no blame can go on the Aussie batsmen for simply failing under pressure...

Pitch doctoring is no new thing, in fact I like it. It's like a baseball game, the hometeam always gets the homeside advantage with the grounds set up exactly as they want, always will be, always has been and always should be.

Sorry for taking it off topic, just had to say that.

Do not talk about pitch-doctoring.

We have already talked about pitch-doctoring in 50 other unrelated threads, with terrible results.

Just do not do it.

If this turns into another ****ing discussion about the ****ing Oval pitch, I will shoot somebody. Be warned.

EDIT: What he said.

The English and Aus selectors are playing the most demoralising (for the fans) game of chicken with Marcus North and Alistair Cook.

Who will blink first?

Beeswax;405905 said:
The English and Aus selectors are playing the most demoralising (for the fans) game of chicken with Marcus North and Alistair Cook.

Who will blink first?

Both guys look totally out of nick.I wouldn't have either in my team thats for sure.Atleast the English selectors have more of a justification for sticking with Cook( cause he has been one of their best openers).The problem is not that North is bad player( although i don't believe he is anything special) ,the real problem is that what message does it send to the young guys around the squad (in the actual 11 also) and also domestic players is that consistent failure/lack of consistency is tolerated.I'm all for showing faith in players and being patient but North has been given enough opportunity to set things right, its time for another player to be given an opportunity.

For the love of God will someone please knee cap Michael Clarke to ensure he does not play in the Ashes series? Without doubt one of the worst batsmen ever.Australia would have been better selecting a park cricketer to replace him in the Indian tour.When will the selectors get the message and drop him? Heart of a pea and he is supposedly the next Australian Captain, when Ponting eventually decides to give it away in 2020.Poms to retain the Ashes easily whilst the status quo remains.

One of the worst batsmen ever? Really? The guy averages 54 in the last 12 months.

I think that with North and Hussey in the side we have bigger things to worry about. Clarke would walk into pretty much any Test side in the world at present.

One of the worst batsmen ever? Really? The guy averages 54 in the last 12 months.

I think that with North and Hussey in the side we have bigger things to worry about. Clarke would walk into pretty much any Test side in the world at present.

Not sure where you are getting your figures from, but it is actually 44, (797 from 18) and in his last 11 innings he has made 349 runs (including) 166 against Pakistan in the fixed series. Had Pakistan been fair dinkum against Australia and beaten us like they were capable of doing, then our world rating would be lower than the current Number 5 standing.Clarke is a very overrated batsman who has made 100's in the second innings of a Test which I might add use to be a very big criticism of Dean Jones. How he is the captain of the 20/20 is a scandal, when he is by far the worse player in the team, but I suppose they have to give him something to justify his million dollar contract. His performance in India was a disgrace and he should hang his head in shame at the gutless way he performed. The Australian team has become a closed shop for old hacks who are trying to milk their last dollar from the game to New South Welshmen like Clarke who are untouchable, whilst batsmen like Hodge were never considered for further Test honours even though he made 200+ against South Africa.Unfortunately for Hodgey, he was not one of Pontings NSW favourites. If this current team plays against England then they will retain the Ashes quite easily.

Back