Whose call?

edladd

Whose call?

Quick question about running between the wickets: it's clear enough that it's the strikers call when it's hit in front of him and the non-striker when it goes behind - but whose call is it for a 2nd run when the ball is "between" the two sets of stumps? Ordinarily, it is whoever is running to the danger end, but it can be hard to judge on the run, so is there an accepted caller (striker or non-striker) that makes the judgement in this case?

Re: Whose call?

mas cambios said:
Whoever has the best view!

That could lead to confusion though - and confusion leads to run-outs. We've had far too many this year, and most of it is from people not following the accepted calling rules.

I suppose in this case it's a matter of having good communication, so both batsmen are aware of the potential run. But someone should have responsibility - to avoid grey areas. I'd be inclined to go with striker, as manee says.

Manee is pretty much spot on but I also guess it depends a little bit on who is seen as being the senior partner. I tend to take on that role when batting, and will normally call and say where the danger end is likely to be.

I also try to call the number of runs I'm looking for, so it might be something like, 'Yes, two, danger my end'.

As you said, it's all about communicating at the end of the day and if you say a little more than the normal 'yes' it can help to put a little extra pressure on the fielding side.

Also, it helps to have a chat between overs as well, make sure you're both on the same wavelength and know what the other is thinking.

Yeah, I agree with mas. When I usually think that there's a second run I say "Look for the second" and when we nearly reach the other end, depending on who has the better view, me or my partner, we decide to take the second one on or stick with a single. At the end of the day it's all down to communication in my opinion.

When the ball goes behind the wicket the non-striker should decide and prompt for 2 for his partner since he cannot view the ball similarly if the ball goes in front of the wicket the striker should call for the 2 loudly so
that your partner runs the first harder and tries to get the second..
Its not just your wicket tht you shd value but also your partners..
this is a TEAM game.. If it goes in between the wicket both have to agree if in doubt just say no.. this is whr most run-outs take place..

Mostly depends upon the senior partner
A lot also depends upon the coordination between both the batsmen.
This is to be discussed before taking strike.
I usually prefer do the calling but if the ball goes behind my back then only the non striker calls and i respond blindly trusting his call.

I disagree. Just because one player may be more experienced it doesn't mean he should call all the time. Once a player even gets maybe half a season under his belt he will be able to make calls just as good as a more senior player...

:D Senior partner means the batsmen who is batting longer compared to the new batsmen arrived on the crease.
I prefer calling because I know most of my batsmen in team are not good callers and i am confident about calling and I make it a point to communicate this very clearly to my batting partner.
This is from my own personal experience as an opener.

Secondly;when i am batting and the ball misses my bat or edges(whatever) the ball and it goes behind the wicketkeeper,off side or leg side and then and only then the call is given by my non striker because as u know i cannot see the ball behind my back.

On the first point, it's probably a personal thing. I don't mind calling from the word go and I am quite happy to.

Secondly, I agree, I never said anything about that being wrong.

i'm with jonsey and jon, strikers call. Seniority is nothing to do with it! whover has the best view or is running into the danger end!

i have a simple rule! if its going directly to a fielder its not worth the risk, if it goes past him, push hard, if ball is in hand and hes in the circle no run, outside the circle, one for the arm!

I think Virender makes a valid point about the 'senior' batsman (in this case senior being the guy who has been batting the longest) taking charge of the calling first up, as they often have a better feel for the pitch and outfield, as well as the fielding ability of the bowling side.

Once the newer player gets in, responsibility can be shared especially as both batsman would have had the chance to talk and discuss things.

not much good when the senior batsmen is refusing singles when its the other guys call! seen it happen more often then not!

Of course, if you are batting with someone like that then you have to take matters into your own hands, but in an ideal world, you play for the team and not the individual. As has been said throughout this thread, communication is the key, without that it's only going to end in tears.

You will always get people playing for their average or whatever, but you just have to get on with it. Also, consider how long that person has been out there and the context of the game amongst other things.

Back