Whose call?

Re: Whose call?

ok so heres a thought! what if you are teh seniro batsmen and your newbie, keeps sending you back when its your call? what should you do?

Tom,
It is very important to make the new batsmen relax by talking with him.
communication is the key between the two batsmen.
Senior batsmen(who has stayed in the crease for longer duration) has to take the initiative irrespective of the age or experience.
In between overs discuss little bit about personal things(study,family,TV) and try to make him relax.
I remember once my team mate while batting was discussing about his girl friend.
But before taking guard bring his focus back to the game.

Talk,smile and relax are the key aspects for building a partnership.

I reckon that is a top class piece of advice. In between overs, just talk about random stuff going on and nothing about cricket. Great to keep you fresh so you only think about the job at hand when you really need to, it would lead to a longer innings by keeping you fresher.

Great stuff VB!

although i can see the point of relaxing each other by changing the subject, i would have thought that it may be wise to discuss the job at hand. for example if there is a run chase on i like to know what were chasing not what my mate did with his missies last night! lol

Yeh but what can you say when you know what you're chasing and your doing fine.

Person A - Good over
Person B - Yeh
Person A - Watch out for his wrongun
Person B - Will do

Then you're just standing there for ages, might as well discuss some good stuff

I reckon talk about the job at hand first and then go into the other stuff. I mean don't do it all the time just as a conversation filler and a relaxer, I mean crickets about fun so yehh. I dunno about you but cricket is a great social thing. Got 10 mates out there so I don't wanna get too serious with it all, I wanna have some fun out there. Something I've been lacking with my batting is having fun, and I reckon a lot of people will bat better if they don't take it so seriously. I mean, it's just a league game. Finals or a game that you need to win, sure be completely focused on the task ahead, but otherwise have some fun, well that's what I think anyway

to be honest Jonsey i hate it when the batsmen stand around for ages chatting! at my level its pointelss! were playing limited overs cricket not a test match lol!

nothing more is need than what you said!

"Person A - Good over
Person B - Yeh
Person A - Watch out for his wrongun
Person B - Will do"

But that would leave you standing at your end waiting around, when you might as well be talking to your partner. I go back to my end when the field is ready or almost ready.

The field changing round where I play is normally very quick, you only really have time for a few sentences. Maybe twice as much as Stumped's example but still not too much. Tbh, as a bowler if the batsman take ages talking it just slows the game down and can get pretty annoying if they do it a lot.

it is a bit of a pet hate, as a wicket keeper i just want to get on with it, and also make a point of mentioning it to the umpires for slow play as its our over rate suffers! lol

Back