Will not playing a spinner bite us in the arse?

Is an all pace attack a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Only in the right conditions

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Only to find out which pace bowlers are best

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

gbatman

Will not playing a spinner bite us in the arse?

The first test against South Africa, Australia are going in with an all pace attack with the only spin options being part timers Clarke, Katich and maby North who impressed in a warm up match. Although these matches don't mean much. We will know the result in a few days but I recon we are sure to be burnt by this.

SA will simply see off the new ball and get stuck into our bowling. They have good batting depth and we will use part timers to get through the overs and find that it'll fail IMO. What are we going to do when the ball is old?

May as well use up the overs with a bowler that is dangerous with every ball (McGain).

I think they are having a mini in match competition with the pace bowlers to see which ones perform the best and go to England.

Test cricket is about getting wickets and there should never be a time in the match when we can't get wickets and have to wait for the new ball or reverse swing.

It's a bit of a worry, the selectors don't go for a bowling attack that varies. They relie on part time spinners. Looks like the Indian series has been forgotten...

re: Will not playing a spinner bite us in the arse?

If my memory is correct Wanderers is traditionally a bad deck for spin bowlers? He's not Shane Warne but an unproven 36 year old leggie, play a team that suits the pitch FFS. Plus he's had an interrupted preparation missing a flight and having had crook guts. Good decision IMO.

Paul Harris couldn't get any turn today, although he was economical there was nothing in the pitch for the spinners. I think the selectors made the right call, McDonald being used as a strike bowler is a bit of a worry though.

Selectors made the right call IMO, pitch has nothing in it for the spinners.

traditionally a dismal return for spinners at this ground. but i still cant understand what Krezja did wrong. get mcgain on any other track and he will come good quickly i reckon.

Re: Will not playing a spinner bite us in the arse?

Ljp86;330036 said:
Paul Harris couldn't get any turn today, although he was economical there was nothing in the pitch for the spinners.

He was bowling flat though so I doubt he would have got any spin.

The wicket is taking turn in Australia's 2nd innings with Harris getting a fair bit of spin for him. Can we bowl them out in the last innings to win the match without a strike spinner??? Looks like it'll spin on the last 2 days and he would have been handy. But has definatly been ideal pace conditions with loads of swing, seam and bounce.

I'd say it didn't hurt us too much. ;)

it didn't, perfect pace conditions, just wondering who get's left out for McGain... Probably McDonald which is a shame as he did very well.

oh well it turns out it didnt hurt us after all, but i do agree with auther of this post that going into a test without a serious spinner was very dangerous.

breeno;331948 said:
I like McDonalds bowling, very containing.

me too, it's something different. Bowls with skill and at a good pace to extract movement out of the most docile conditions. Batting is a worry but he's a good bowler.

gbatman;332889 said:
me too, it's something different. Bowls with skill and at a good pace to extract movement out of the most docile conditions. Batting is a worry but he's a good bowler.

he is a better bat than the others up for his place, that is why he is in squad, can bat. has made some good scores in 1st class cricket.

McDonald just bats like a dead set schmo. IF he plays in the next tes which i don;t think he should if it takes spin, i would seriously consider batting johnson ahead of him..Just my opinion

ants14;333026 said:
McDonald just bats like a dead set schmo. IF he plays in the next tes which i don;t think he should if it takes spin, i would seriously consider batting johnson ahead of him..Just my opinion

I think the venue of the next test will be more conducive for pacemen than the last one.

Also if McDonald is dropped McGain would have to play along with Johnson, Geeves and Magoffin. 3 debutants in a 4-man bowling line-up. I don't think the selectors will go for that. I think the injuries will save him.

Back