Women's Ashes

Do you like the Test/ODI/T20 format used in the Women's Ashes?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Having to get radio commentary through the Cricket Australia app is a massive pain, and I loathe how CA is treating the ABC and radio coverage in general. One thing I don't mind, I must say, is the online video coverage being synced with ABC radio commentary.

The more I think about the format of the women's Ashes, the more I think I dislike it, but I'm not completely sold either way. The bails were burnt long before T20s and ODIs were even conceived, and for a Test win to be negated by the completely different strategies and mindsets of the limited-overs formats would be unjust. That said, should the weight of such a revered trophy be placed on only one Test? In a way, that also seems unjust. I don't know... the points system across the formats just seems very foreign to the cricketing world, but it does seem to work for now.

Anyway. I wasn't expecting such a massive gamechanger in the last few overs of the day! My internet succumbed to the heat when England were nine down, and I admit that I had written them off for 200. Arran Brindle and Natalie Sciver played very important innings at 5 and 6, both coming in after a quick flurry of wickets (3 for 4 and 2 for 0, respectively). Getting the 200 and getting the two openers before the close are massive advantages for England. The morning session tomorrow will be crucial: with England in such a dominant position, they need to make the utmost of the conditions before the mercury soars to ludicrous heights.

At least their game their game gets some recognition these days, I could name about half a dozen women's cricketers but 10+ years ago wouldn't know any.

I'm amazed at how much the upper hand in Test has oscillated. Day four will make for engrossing viewing, and could really go anyone's way: we've seen last tour what Sarah Elliott's capable of (give birth, score Ashes century nine months later, breastfeed child between sessions), and we saw last innings how well Ellyse Perry can stablise an innings with the bat. Australia are actually in a better position than they were in the first innings, losing their 5th at 55 instead of 37 and having a recognised top-order batter at the crease. On a day four pitch, though, I'm going to predict England for the win, but with a paltry confidence rating.

Sad we lost the test. I don't support this format at all, what next the men will also sell out because it is all to hard for CA and MCC to do the right thing. There is enough money in the game to promote women's cricket properly in this country.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/women/content/story/798363.html

"A Women's Test will be broadcast live on television for the first time next summer when England defend the Women's Ashes. Every game of the seven-match series will be televised live in the latest boost to the women's game.

The third multi-format series will see the Test match played between the ODI and T20 matches and the points for winning it reduced from six to four to increase the balance of the competition."

Back