Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Just had a look on the Playcricket website here in the UK where all your data gets collated. Well happy with that, I don't think I've ever been so high! Nice too that I've been given so many overs as well. The bloke below me is the one I'd like to beat - Tony, he's my mate and we've bowled together in the 4th XI before over a couple of years. He's a really good bowler as you can see by his strike rate and average. Got to try and build on my success now if possible.
View attachment 2090

Wow, those are some pretty good stats, shows that the flipper only approach can work. Very interesting to see.

There's so much crap on the internet about flippers and now bots and chat GTP is sticking their oar in. I was searching for examples of who is currently bowling them and the only person I came up with is India's women - Punam Yadav. This got me thinking about the variations as I've bowled a few decent off-spinning versions and I might have a go again at the top-spinning version which is really difficult. I haven't bowled it for over 10 years, but I recall that batters used to say that it used to swerve in the air. I might spend a few hours and see if I can get it going again. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Had a go, but was using a normal ball and my eyesight is not top notch, so couldn't see what the seam was doing. I'll have another go with a red and white ball when I get a moment. Not optimistic at the moment.

Had a go, but was using a normal ball and my eyesight is not top notch, so couldn't see what the seam was doing. I'll have another go with a red and white ball when I get a moment. Not optimistic at the moment.

Yeah, must say there's hardly anything of substance about flippers, if it wasn't for yours and Warne's videos I'd have no clue how to bowl them.

Do the topspinning flippers come out very slow and loopy?

Yeah, must say there's hardly anything of substance about flippers, if it wasn't for yours and Warne's videos I'd have no clue how to bowl them.

Do the topspinning flippers come out very slow and loopy?
No not really, but I need to use a two tone ball to watch the seam, it might be the case that I'm getting the length and speed okay so far because it's nowhere near a top-spinner! I played a good game today where we won against the team at the top of our league. One of our players is a 16 year old girl (Kirby) who bowls very small turning left arm orthodox, but most of the time she bowls slow loopy on a good length straight stuff, she came away with her first fivefer against some normally very strong batting. The other key bowler was another player who bowls SLA orthodox, but he turns it a lot. Check this spell out! We'd cleaned them up for 89 off of 30 overs. IMG_7005 Kirby Jenning figures.jpg Sri's bowling figures.jpg

No not really, but I need to use a two tone ball to watch the seam, it might be the case that I'm getting the length and speed okay so far because it's nowhere near a top-spinner! I played a good game today where we won against the team at the top of our league. One of our players is a 16 year old girl (Kirby) who bowls very small turning left arm orthodox, but most of the time she bowls slow loopy on a good length straight stuff, she came away with her first fivefer against some normally very strong batting. The other key bowler was another player who bowls SLA orthodox, but he turns it a lot. Check this spell out! We'd cleaned them up for 89 off of 30 overs. View attachment 2092View attachment 2093

Wow, thats a great spell. How does she usually get her wickets?

Sounds like it’d be people getting frustrated and mistiming shots to ring fielders.
Wow, thats a great spell. How does she usually get her wickets?
In this game, 2 x bowled, 2 x Stumped and one caught in covers. Normally I think she bowls them. I think this puts her in the top 5 wicket takers at the club now. It was a tricky wicket - damp and not a lot of bounce. But they lost their openers cheaply and they were then put under pressure with a low scoring rate and the whole situation compounded. Just looked at her stats again and she's got the highest strike rate of the clubs top 10 bowlers before these figures are even added - wicket every 18 balls at the moment.

Last edited:
In this game, 2 x bowled, 2 x Stumped and one caught in covers. Normally I think she bowls them. I think this puts her in the top 5 wicket takers at the club now. It was a tricky wicket - damp and not a lot of bounce. But they lost their openers cheaply and they were then put under pressure with a low scoring rate and the whole situation compounded. Just looked at her stats again and she's got the highest strike rate of the clubs top 10 bowlers before these figures are even added - wicket every 18 balls at the moment.

That's very good especially for a young bowler.

Hi all, 1st time posting. I'm new to leg spin but not new to cricket (i'm 37!)
Was wondering if I was able to get some videos recorded if someone was able to look at my action and give some feedback on it. I used to bowl leg spin up until the age of about 15 and used to turn the ball a lot, but struggled with control. I then essentially 'got scared' and went to in swing bowling for a long period of time. Looking to get back into leg spin bowling but noticing that i'm bowling very loopy and although i'm spinning the ball hard (I can hear it fizz at times), i'm not bowling many conventional leg spinners anymore, and mainly getting top spin and the occasional wrongun (which isn't intended). You seem like a knowledgeable bunch so any tips would be appreciated.
What would you need to see from me to be able to offer opinions?
Thanks

Was wondering if I was able to get some videos recorded if someone was able to look at my action and give some feedback on it. I used to bowl leg spin up until the age of about 15 and used to turn the ball a lot, but struggled with control. I then essentially 'got scared' and went to in swing bowling for a long period of time. Looking to get back into leg spin bowling but noticing that i'm bowling very loopy and although i'm spinning the ball hard (I can hear it fizz at times), i'm not bowling many conventional leg spinners anymore, and mainly getting top spin and the occasional wrongun (which isn't intended). You seem like a knowledgeable bunch so any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Welcome to the forum mate.(1). Do you want to be a wrong-un bowler or a leg-break bowler? It sounds as though you run the risk of losing your leg-break? You might be seeing the first symptoms of Googly Syndrome. (2). If you're getting the ball to fizz through the air, you're obviously getting it spinning out of the hand well. I reckon you've got the basics in place and you're not doing a lot wrong. I personally think you need to address the fact that you're not bowling/losing your Leg-Break. To rectify it if you're looking to; I'd advise 100% cutting out the Wrong-un from practice and play and work on getting your Leg-break sorted. If that's where you're at, I've got some ideas - you may have already seen them on here, but I can go over them again if need be. Yeah video's will always be looked at and people will comment.

Last edited:
Thanks

For the videos, I would try getting one from the angle from behind the stumps, one from behind your bowling action (umpires view basically), and maybe one from side on. That should be sufficient.

Thanks

Great to see some new people on here.

Definitely upload some videos, how Leggy88 recommended is good.

The first thing I think of when someone has googly syndrome is they might not be “locking” their wrist properly. Either because they’ve lost the muscle memory or they’ve lost the wrist strength/flexibility to bowl a leg break at pace.

If you’ve read through this thread for previous chats you’ll probably know I’m not actually an off spinner, but there is still plenty that bridges between the 2, one of them is wrist position and strength.

You might have to just start from a standstill and just try and retrain your wrist to release the ball like a legbreak, ignoring any pace or accuracy that you bowl with. Once you’ve got it right you can slowly make your way back to a full run up and full pace, while still bowling a legbreak.

But yeah with a video this lot will probably be able yo give you more precise help.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys. I would say 80% of the balls are coming out as more top spin, with maybe 10% each for leg spin and wrong uns, but the concern for me is that i'm not actively trying to do anything differently. I will try and get some footage over the coming days/weeks, and will start again with a stand start drill and try to focus on getting the ball leg breaking. I don't want to be a googly bowler, but i'm also not fussed about turning the ball hugely. I generally find that although it looks cool to fizz one past the outside edge, bowlers who turn the ball loads at my level struggle to take lots of wickets unless they have a good top spinner or slider.

Thanks for your replies guys. I would say 80% of the balls are coming out as more top spin, with maybe 10% each for leg spin and wrong uns, but the concern for me is that i'm not actively trying to do anything differently. I will try and get some footage over the coming days/weeks, and will start again with a stand start drill and try to focus on getting the ball leg breaking. I don't want to be a googly bowler, but i'm also not fussed about turning the ball hugely. I generally find that although it looks cool to fizz one past the outside edge, bowlers who turn the ball loads at my level struggle to take lots of wickets unless they have a good top spinner or slider.

Hmm, also another tip: try and overcompensate when trying the leg break. So instead of thinking like you are going to bowl one that spins at a 45 degree angle, 50/50 topspin and sidespin, imagine you are trying to bowl one that spins at a 90 degree angle, pure sidespin. Hopefully that should get the legbreak going, and it may turn out that while it feels like a pure sidespinner it is a 45 degree angle delivery.

Will try next time I practice and see how I get on. Back is aching a bit today after bowling for a fairly long time yesterday so might not go today but should be able to practice in next couple of days. Getting older sucks! 😆

Hmm, also another tip: try and overcompensate when trying the leg break. So instead of thinking like you are going to bowl one that spins at a 45 degree angle, 50/50 topspin and sidespin, imagine you are trying to bowl one that spins at a 90 degree angle, pure sidespin. Hopefully that should get the legbreak going, and it may turn out that while it feels like a pure sidespinner it is a 45 degree angle delivery.

Definitely recommend this.

The action of a leg spinner inclines itself much more to top spin than any kind of back spin. As you seem to have found out it’s probably easier to bowl a top spinner than a leg spinner.

But yeah try bowling it with pure side spin.

Yeah I'm not surprised with your analysis. I for would say that in my mind I'm doing one thing - but executing something completely different. To have such fine tuned motor-skills is quite rare I would imagine, otherwise every wrist-spinner would be able to execute the whole range of balls going round the loop with relative ease, which isn't the case and the reason why most of us are only able to bowl to 2 variations with any degree of skill. I think the fact that you bowl 80% top-spinners is a good base. In theory it shouldn't take too much to make adjustments to the wrist to execute a small leg-break and a small off-break (Wrong-un). I don't know what it's like over the other-side of the planet, but here in Blighty at club level you rarely come across anyone bowling top-spinners. (TBH rare to come across wrist-spinners). Currently at our club in the nets there's a new lad who's joined us who seems to be primarily interested in bowling. He says he doesn't know what he bowls, but my son and I have looked at him bowling and he's bowling out of the back of the hand - which looks like he's bowling wrong-uns, but they're Top-Spinners and he's unplayable - he got me with almost every ball he bowled last night... mis-hits, running past him because of the dip and variation of length or speed *(I bat at No.11), but my son who bats at 7 or 8 and is far better than me said the same thing 'He's really difficult to face'. It'll be interesting to see him bowl in a game and I hope he doesn't change what he does because it looks very effective against lower order bats at least.

Do you know where the batters are likely to hit you when you're bowling? I've been trying to bowl at better batters to figure out how to counter them. I've been taking field diagrams and saying look that's my field now bat accordingly and you tell me how many runs would have got or whether you'd have been caught. The better bats have appreciated it as it's mean they're just not smacking everything and they're playing more like they'd have to in a game. The last session I've done something different. I'm now going in with a blank diagram and marking on the diagram where I get hit in order to analyse how my field should be set and where I should place my best fielders. This is the results of the first session against a range of not so good bats. IMG_7038sml.jpg The conclusion drawn from this is pretty obvious, I need decent players at Point and square leg. I'm going to continue doing this for the remainder of the season and see what I come up with in terms of making adjustments to my fields. * Also note this was against bog standard Leggies, virtually no flippers - since my 5-fer my Flippers have been utter dog water and my leggies have been pretty decent, so I may be bowling Leggies a lot more in the remainder of the games. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Back