Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

That's great to hear. Your season starts first week of October right?

Sounds like we both should have good seasons with the ball, (fingers crossed) as I am quietly confident in the way the ball is coming out of the hand at the moment too.

Also is it just me, or do offspinners get more batsman nicking to slip then legspinners?

Yeah the 7th I’m pretty sure. When does your season start?

Yeah I’m sure off spinners do get more edges. Maybe it’s because people try to play with the spin which means they’re playing against the direction of the drift?

Makes them more likely to edge it if it doesn’t spin or drifts a bit more. Whereas for leggies they’re playing with the spin which makes them less likely to get and edge, but maybe more likely to get out lbw with the drift in.

Yeah the 7th I’m pretty sure. When does your season start?

Yeah I’m sure off spinners do get more edges. Maybe it’s because people try to play with the spin which means they’re playing against the direction of the drift?

Makes them more likely to edge it if it doesn’t spin or drifts a bit more. Whereas for leggies they’re playing with the spin which makes them less likely to get and edge, but maybe more likely to get out lbw with the drift in.

Nice. My season starts the week after.

Yeah, I'd say you're probably onto something with that explanation.

Good first match of the season.

I do not play for the White Knights.

It was 35C at the base of a hill so there was no sea breeze, only a hot easterly. Our bloke that made 61(130) ended up throwing up from heat stroke and had a massive cramp.

I actually bowled quite well (C Hanna), almost bowled the bloke that finished on 122 twice. Conceded 20 off my first five and then got hit for 19 off my last over. First 2 balls of that over went for 6, second one was a dropped catch.

Good first match of the season.

I do not play for the White Knights.

It was 35C at the base of a hill so there was no sea breeze, only a hot easterly. Our bloke that made 61(130) ended up throwing up from heat stroke and had a massive cramp.

I actually bowled quite well (C Hanna), almost bowled the bloke that finished on 122 twice. Conceded 20 off my first five and then got hit for 19 off my last over. First 2 balls of that over went for 6, second one was a dropped catch.

Damn, that's rough.

I had a practice game yesterday (first game of the tournament is on the 15th) and scored 37* and took 3 wickets. Decent start.

Last edited:
Damn, that's rough.

I had a practice game yesterday (first game of the tournament is on the 15th) and scored 37* and took 3 wickets. Decent start.

Nice all round performance that.

But yeah the comp I play is about half hardwicket half turf. But we play with a 4 piece ball, so there is literally nothing for the pace bowlers on the hard wicket.

More details about the wickets?

1st wicket I got when I saw this guy really liked the cut shot, so I threw in a quick slider and he chopped it on trying to cut. Tried the same to another batsman a bit later but sprayed the ball legside, need to improve my accuracy for the slider.

2nd wicket I bowled a topspinner, bit of a half tracker to be honest, batsman tried to pull but it bounced heaps, top edge to backward square leg.

3rd wicket I bowled a normal leg spinner, bit of a drag down on the offside but luckily the batsman decided to charge that ball and it turned just enough to beat the edge. Stumped.

Damn, that's unlucky with that pitch.
The pitch I bowled on in the practice game is also used every week for first grade and also the odd professional game (very occasionally), so obviously it was pretty flat and didn't take much turn. Very slow pitch, so I decided to bowl more overspin to quicken the turn and bounce.

1st wicket I got when I saw this guy really liked the cut shot, so I threw in a quick slider and he chopped it on trying to cut. Tried the same to another batsman a bit later but sprayed the ball legside, need to improve my accuracy for the slider.

2nd wicket I bowled a topspinner, bit of a half tracker to be honest, batsman tried to pull but it bounced heaps, top edge to backward square leg.

3rd wicket I bowled a normal leg spinner, bit of a drag down on the offside but luckily the batsman decided to charge that ball and it turned just enough to beat the edge. Stumped.

Damn, that's unlucky with that pitch.
The pitch I bowled on in the practice game is also used every week for first grade and also the odd professional game (very occasionally), so obviously it was pretty flat and didn't take much turn. Very slow pitch, so I decided to bowl more overspin to quicken the turn and bounce.

Yeah it was supposed to be on their turf wicket but the council didn’t start rolling the turf wicket at the ground their A grade was playing at until the Monday before the game .

So they had to move onto their home turf wicket which means we were pushed onto the hard wicket.

Bit shitty.

Love to see stuff like a slider pay off, that’s another reason why I want to play on turf so bad lol, my back spinner should be way more effective because it doesn’t just sit up.

Yeah it was supposed to be on their turf wicket but the council didn’t start rolling the turf wicket at the ground their A grade was playing at until the Monday before the game .

So they had to move onto their home turf wicket which means we were pushed onto the hard wicket.

Bit shitty.

Love to see stuff like a slider pay off, that’s another reason why I want to play on turf so bad lol, my back spinner should be way more effective because it doesn’t just sit up.

Yeah that's no good. Hate when stuff like that happens. Like for instance, the draw for my season will come out on Friday, with the game on sunday, so I won't even know where I'm playing, who I'm playing, or our finalised team until friday.

Yeah really satisfied with that slider. I was really surprised when it came out so perfectly first time I've tried it in a game.

******** I hate synthetic and people that don’t train.

I just bowled absolutely beautifully and went for 0-51 off 9 overs.

The batsmen did not middle a single one, there was probably 4-5 dropped catches off my bowling, about 10 fall just short of fielders, 3-4 that went over the stumps (including one that I drifted past the outside edge and landed it on the popping crease, it went over middle and leg), one of these was also the best ball I’ve ever bowled in a match it landed it on 6th or 7th stump, turned it back in, small inside edge over middle stump. Also has my captain forced my mid on back to the boundary even though they had mishit 2 just in front of cow and hadn’t hit one over mid on, I have it up to make them try hit over the top with my turn and bounce. Also had 3-4 misfields for 4.

We then got wrongly timed out and lost.

Most frustrating game I’ve ever played. I never get that upset but this game genuinely almost broke me.

******** I hate synthetic and people that don’t train.

I just bowled absolutely beautifully and went for 0-51 off 9 overs.

The batsmen did not middle a single one, there was probably 4-5 dropped catches off my bowling, about 10 fall just short of fielders, 3-4 that went over the stumps (including one that I drifted past the outside edge and landed it on the popping crease, it went over middle and leg), one of these was also the best ball I’ve ever bowled in a match it landed it on 6th or 7th stump, turned it back in, small inside edge over middle stump. Also has my captain forced my mid on back to the boundary even though they had mishit 2 just in front of cow and hadn’t hit one over mid on, I have it up to make them try hit over the top with my turn and bounce. Also had 3-4 misfields for 4.

We then got wrongly timed out and lost.

Most frustrating game I’ve ever played. I never get that upset but this game genuinely almost broke me.

Damn mate, nothing you can do about that to be fair. That's just really unlucky. At least you yourself know that you'd done everything right, gave yourself every chance for a few wickets. Don't worry, there will be times when you bowl worse and get five fa's. How does a team get timed out? Do you mean you guys bowled your overs too slow?

Damn mate, nothing you can do about that to be fair. That's just really unlucky. At least you yourself know that you'd done everything right, gave yourself every chance for a few wickets. Don't worry, there will be times when you bowl worse and get five fa's. How does a team get timed out? Do you mean you guys bowled your overs too slow?

Yeah technically we bowled the overs too slow.

Except we didn’t, they finished their bowling innings 15 minutes late, so we started ours 15 minutes late. Useless umpire didn’t take that into account so we got penalised for it.

In my game today (we lost by a fair bit, big middle order- lower order collapse) I think I captained the side pretty well for my first time. Field placings seemed to hold up nicely, bowling changes reaped rewards for the most part.

I came on just after drinks with the other team 4/60, first ball drag down that doesn't get up and it bowls him. Then last ball of the over I throw in a wrongun, and it landed perfectly, best wrongun of my life, spun from 4th stump to hit leg stump. 1 over, 2/0. Then after that I take no more wickets and get punished for all my bad balls in my last 7 overs, so my figures would've ballooned to like 2/50 or something off 8 (guessing as score hasn't been published yet on mycricket). However, each over I bowled there was a chance. About 3 turned down lbws (all which I thought plumb, and celebrated as if it was a given that it was out), two missed stumpings, and one drop (tough chance in slips). I think with having such a good start and then not getting rewarded for my good balls I got a bit frustrated and then bowled the bad ones which got hit. That, and the fact that the ball was getting wetter from the dew.

I scored 22, with one six (pull shot, pretty happy with it haha) but got bowled by an absolute peach that turned and rolled along the ground from the oppositions leggy.

So overall decent game for myself, and my team looks promising. We lost because of our dropped chances and our batting collapse.

Yeah technically we bowled the overs too slow.

Except we didn’t, they finished their bowling innings 15 minutes late, so we started ours 15 minutes late. Useless umpire didn’t take that into account so we got penalised for it.

That's stupid, did you raise that point with the umpire?

In my game today (we lost by a fair bit, big middle order- lower order collapse) I think I captained the side pretty well for my first time. Field placings seemed to hold up nicely, bowling changes reaped rewards for the most part.

I came on just after drinks with the other team 4/60, first ball drag down that doesn't get up and it bowls him. Then last ball of the over I throw in a wrongun, and it landed perfectly, best wrongun of my life, spun from 4th stump to hit leg stump. 1 over, 2/0. Then after that I take no more wickets and get punished for all my bad balls in my last 7 overs, so my figures would've ballooned to like 2/50 or something off 8 (guessing as score hasn't been published yet on mycricket). However, each over I bowled there was a chance. About 3 turned down lbws (all which I thought plumb, and celebrated as if it was a given that it was out), two missed stumpings, and one drop (tough chance in slips). I think with having such a good start and then not getting rewarded for my good balls I got a bit frustrated and then bowled the bad ones which got hit. That, and the fact that the ball was getting wetter from the dew.

I scored 22, with one six (pull shot, pretty happy with it haha) but got bowled by an absolute peach that turned and rolled along the ground from the oppositions leggy.

So overall decent game for myself, and my team looks promising. We lost because of our dropped chances and our batting collapse.

Yeah nice, it’s always dropped catches haha. I’ve worked hard on my catching, mainly because I don’t want to be THAT GUY. But also so I’m not being a hypocrite when I complain about my teams catching.

Love a good bowled through the gate delivery, that must have felt nice.

Oh hahaha there was also 9 clean bowleds out of 14 wickets in the match lmao.

A few of them where absolute seeds, and the rest were people trying to pull length balls.

Yeah nice, it’s always dropped catches haha. I’ve worked hard on my catching, mainly because I don’t want to be THAT GUY. But also so I’m not being a hypocrite when I complain about my teams catching.

Love a good bowled through the gate delivery, that must have felt nice.

Yeah it did feel good thanks. First game of the season though, bound to not be perfect in the field. Same goes with your team, surely you guys will get a bit better?
Doesn't help that I dropped a catch too though to be fair. Should have taken it.

Oh hahaha there was also 9 clean bowleds out of 14 wickets in the match lmao.

A few of them where absolute seeds, and the rest were people trying to pull length balls.

Jeez, was the pitch staying low? Actually, now that I think about it, 8 of the dismissals in our game were bowled too (from 20 total wickets)

Yeah it did feel good thanks. First game of the season though, bound to not be perfect in the field. Same goes with your team, surely you guys will get a bit better?
Doesn't help that I dropped a catch too though to be fair. Should have taken it.

Yeah we should, especially considering we’re the highest level team at the club, yet imo we have the worst fielding.

Our problem comes from more than half the team not coming to trainings. We have 4 good Pakistani blokes that live up in the city and play T20s up there all year, so they don’t come down and train, and then everyone else that doesn’t come has to work.

That being said, 3 or 4 of the 5 blokes (excluding me) that come to training were the ones dropping catches. The captain dropped 3.

Our playing coach was rightfully pissed, I get along well with him and after I finished my spell he was already annoyed but then he had one dropped at long on in his first over and he completely lost his shit.

Back