Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

And a word of warning... the pitch was absolutely dead as a dodo, most batsmen weren't wearing helmets but one lad managed to drag a weird sort of pull shot onto his head. He was okay but was out in the next over, visibly shaken up.

Good start to the season there Darth. I had a bowl this evening with the same action and again that went well, so in the short term I'm not changing anything and stick with this approach.

Yeah, you should go with what feels natural and whatever produces the best results. There is only so much analysis you can do.

Today was the first time I had bowled in a proper match with my new eight step run up and it felt good.

I've found that I don't get rhythm early enough. It can take 4 or 5 overs and you need to be on it from the first over. That's probably a psychological thing where I'm not really going for it from ball one. You can't afford to try and settle into a bowling spell, especially as a legspinner. You have to have the confidence to try and rip the ball from ball one. That way, you will get into a rhythm very quickly.

My game was washed out (all our club's matches were washed out this weekend), but I've got a T20 game tomorrow. I've not played a T20 match before so it should be interesting. I'll have 4 overs and I'll have to get it right from ball one.

I've found that I don't get rhythm early enough. It can take 4 or 5 overs and you need to be on it from the first over. That's probably a psychological thing where I'm not really going for it from ball one. You can't afford to try and settle into a bowling spell, especially as a legspinner. You have to have the confidence to try and rip the ball from ball one. That way, you will get into a rhythm very quickly.

My game was washed out (all our club's matches were washed out this weekend), but I've got a T20 game tomorrow. I've not played a T20 match before so it should be interesting. I'll have 4 overs and I'll have to get it right from ball one.

I had to be a bit cautious because an off spinner bowling at the other end in tandem was getting a fair old whacking, so if I got the treatment too it could have been a match winning spell for them. The boundary on the offside was very deep and slow so they were only picking up singles. This meant I could find my range without getting hit for boundaries. I gradually began to pitch it up more consistently as neither of them were leaving the crease. After the wicket, which was the second ball of the fourth over, I gained confidence and bowled well. There was also a run out during that over, and then a dropped catch in the last over (which was pretty annoying but it's part of being a spinner).

It would be nice to rip the ball hard and turn it big from ball one but the first over for me is usually assessing the batsmen, seeing what the ball is doing and finding rhythm.

I had to be a bit cautious because an off spinner bowling at the other end in tandem was getting a fair old whacking, so if I got the treatment too it could have been a match winning spell for them. The boundary on the offside was very deep and slow so they were only picking up singles. This meant I could find my range without getting hit for boundaries. I gradually began to pitch it up more consistently as neither of them were leaving the crease. After the wicket, which was the second ball of the fourth over, I gained confidence and bowled well. There was also a run out during that over, and then a dropped catch in the last over (which was pretty annoying but it's part of being a spinner).

It would be nice to rip the ball hard and turn it big from ball one but the first over for me is usually assessing the batsmen, seeing what the ball is doing and finding rhythm.
Darth what were your figures like in the game and is that your first game this season? I'm on 14-1-61-3 after three matches? What are your figures like so far?

Hi Dave.

I got 6-1-24-1, the last over was the maiden. That was my first match.

All time: 42 overs, 2 maidens, 269 runs, 14 wickets, Economy 6.4, S/R 18, avg 19.1
2014: 6 overs, 1 maiden, 24 runs, 1 wicket, economy 4.0, S/R 36, avg 24

Hi Dave.

I got 6-1-24-1, the last over was the maiden. That was my first match.

All time: 42 overs, 2 maidens, 269 runs, 14 wickets, Economy 6.4, S/R 18, avg 19.1
2014: 6 overs, 1 maiden, 24 runs, 1 wicket, economy 4.0, S/R 36, avg 24
Ha ha - you're not counting then? Strike rate of 18's pretty good, I'd be happy with that. Here's a question, if you were the captain of your team how many overs would you bowl? How would you handle the bowling generally - e.g. if you had a team stuffed with bowlers all looking for a chance for a spell, would you distribute the bowling fairly evenly or would you stick with the bowler who's bowling tight - but perhaps not taking wickets at the expense of another bowling not getting a bowl?

Ha ha - you're not counting then? Strike rate of 18's pretty good, I'd be happy with that. Here's a question, if you were the captain of your team how many overs would you bowl? How would you handle the bowling generally - e.g. if you had a team stuffed with bowlers all looking for a chance for a spell, would you distribute the bowling fairly evenly or would you stick with the bowler who's bowling tight - but perhaps not taking wickets at the expense of another bowling not getting a bowl?

I'm definitely counting :) it is all up on my club's website so it's easy to keep track of. Yeah, I am happy with 18. It's not something I really have control over, with dropped catches and other variables. All I can do is try and bowl as best as I can. i seem to be the guy who they turn to when a partnership needs breaking, usually when a number 3 or 4 is well set. I would love a go at the tail at some point but it's usually the top order I'm bowling against.

So if I was the captain I'd have a go at the tail! I think you have to give every player a chance as everyone pays subs and gives up their weekend, but you have to take the context of the game into account as well. The captain is there to guide the team to a win so choices will need to be made in a 40 over format like ours. There was one guy bowling slow/medium in our game who was taken off after one over, but he bowled a few wides and was hit for an enormous 6 and another 4, so he was taken off. But then he batted high up the order. I would give myself the usual 6 overs I'm given for a 40 over match, but probably have a go at the tail for a change. That said if the other guys couldn't get a good batsman out or break a partnership I would have a pop at him myself, as that's what the leg spinner is there for.

I think the best combo would be leggie + best seamer at the other end, if on the attack.

I'm definitely counting :) it is all up on my club's website so it's easy to keep track of. Yeah, I am happy with 18. It's not something I really have control over, with dropped catches and other variables. All I can do is try and bowl as best as I can. i seem to be the guy who they turn to when a partnership needs breaking, usually when a number 3 or 4 is well set. I would love a go at the tail at some point but it's usually the top order I'm bowling against.

So if I was the captain I'd have a go at the tail! I think you have to give every player a chance as everyone pays subs and gives up their weekend, but you have to take the context of the game into account as well. The captain is there to guide the team to a win so choices will need to be made in a 40 over format like ours. There was one guy bowling slow/medium in our game who was taken off after one over, but he bowled a few wides and was hit for an enormous 6 and another 4, so he was taken off. But then he batted high up the order. I would give myself the usual 6 overs I'm given for a 40 over match, but probably have a go at the tail for a change. That said if the other guys couldn't get a good batsman out or break a partnership I would have a pop at him myself, as that's what the leg spinner is there for.

I think the best combo would be leggie + best seamer at the other end, if on the attack.

I like the advice at the end there, I was reviewing what had happened on Saturday and I thought the same, combine the seamer and the spinner and see how that works? Have you ever heard of anyone using really odd approaches - trying capitalise on the 'Not letting the batsmen settle'. Such as bowl with 3 bowlers at the start of the game, so when it comes to the 3rd over a 3rd bowler comes on and bowls in a completely different way and then mix the three around so there's no sense of knowing what to expect next? You ever heard of that being done? I know there's going to be the point that the bowlers themselves are not going to be able to settle into a rhythm, but that might even play into your hand as the captain? Is that creative or nuts?:D

"It is not that Clarke needs to be replaced; rather he just needs to be encouraged to play a brand of cricket that creates doubt in opposition teams and makes their planning more guess than guarantee." From http://www.backpagelead.com.au/index.php/cricket/8114-clarke-undone-by-lack-of-creativity

Such as bowl with 3 bowlers at the start of the game, so when it comes to the 3rd over a 3rd bowler comes on and bowls in a completely different way and then mix the three around so there's no sense of knowing what to expect next? You ever heard of that being done?
speechless-smiley-020.gif

Good god man. This is going to give everyone a headache. Especially the scorers. Are you the reincarnation of Douglas Jardine? Not cricket!!!

I like the advice at the end there, I was reviewing what had happened on Saturday and I thought the same, combine the seamer and the spinner and see how that works? Have you ever heard of anyone using really odd approaches - trying capitalise on the 'Not letting the batsmen settle'. Such as bowl with 3 bowlers at the start of the game, so when it comes to the 3rd over a 3rd bowler comes on and bowls in a completely different way and then mix the three around so there's no sense of knowing what to expect next? You ever heard of that being done? I know there's going to be the point that the bowlers themselves are not going to be able to settle into a rhythm, but that might even play into your hand as the captain? Is that creative or nuts?:D

"It is not that Clarke needs to be replaced; rather he just needs to be encouraged to play a brand of cricket that creates doubt in opposition teams and makes their planning more guess than guarantee." From http://www.backpagelead.com.au/index.php/cricket/8114-clarke-undone-by-lack-of-creativity

I think the disadvantage to the bowlers of not being able to settle into a rhythm would probably outweigh any disadvantage to the batsman of not knowing who was bowling the next over.

In T20 games it makes more sense and is a common tactic because batsmen can't just wait to pick off bad balls but actually have to be proactive in attacking the bowling. But in 40+ over games, batsmen wouldn't really be troubled by it I don't think.

I agree with SLA. I don't think it would trouble batsmen in a 40 over game, although you never know. I think what would play on their minds is opening with a spinner. My captain asked me about this on Sunday. I said it would depend on the ball, i.e. if we could use the old ball from the previous innings it would be fine but if it was a new ball it's harder to bowl spin with and it would be better if it was at least ten overs old. As it happens we were given a new ball so I came on after the first ten overs.

I did a search on the web to see if I could find any reference to anyone trying it or maybe floating it as an idea. I couldn't find anything. Yeah the scorers wouldn't like it I can see that. It's unlikely I'd ever find myself in a situation where the rest of the team would support the idea, but it does appeal to me as it's so outside of the box.

Maybe worth a go if you have three reliable bowlers who can put it on the spot straight away.
Not necessarily, there's the old adage "Crap bowling gets wickets". The inconsistency might create chances? Batsmen tend to have a look at you in the first over, see what you're doing and then create a plan once they get a sense of having the measure of your bowling?

Not necessarily, there's the old adage "Crap bowling gets wickets". The inconsistency might create chances? Batsmen tend to have a look at you in the first over, see what you're doing and then create a plan once they get a sense of having the measure of your bowling?

I certainly think the bowling should be changed up as much as possible. I played a T20 last night and we were well beaten. I bowled 3 overs and got punished for 30. The pitch was really damp. A real pudding of a pitch and I was bowling against a pretty decent batter. I don't think he's been playing at a very high standard in the last 10 years, but he averages 62 in those 10 years (a few years ago he got over 1000 runs from a 17 game season!!!). He played some very nice shots. Not a slog in sight. I bowled a couple of bad balls (both a full toss on leg stump). The ball just wasn't coming on. I could have bowled with more top spin, but it probably would have been better to just bowl it even slower and make the batter put all the pace on it. All that said, I actually bowled reasonably well.

Ultimately, the captaining was woeful for our team. I felt that no bowler should bowl more than 2 overs in a spell unless he was taking wickets, but our captain had bowlers bowling 3 and one bowler bowled 4 in a row whilst going for runs. Really, there's too many errors from the captain to go through. Suffice to say, T20 is a tough game when your captain isn't up to it, your other bowlers are not good and you only have 10 players (yes, once again we couldn't even get 11 players on the field).

On the plus side, that means no more T20 for me this season.

Give it a whirl, why not? There's only one way to find out

There was a match tonight. I wasn't playing so I bowled at a few of our batsmen on the basketball court before they went into bat in the match (and mostly got out for pathetic scores). A lot of fun getting big turn on the leg breaks and bouncy wrong uns turning in at chest height.

Last edited:
Give it a whirl, why not? There's only one way to find out

There was a match tonight. I wasn't playing so I bowled at a few of our batsmen on the basketball court before they went into bat in the match (and mostly got out for pathetic scores). A lot of fun getting big turn on the leg breaks and bouncy wrong uns turning in at chest height.

Have to see how it goes and if I settle into the role of captain well. Nets tonight at our club and I bowled at one of our better batsmen. Either he's getting off to a bad start or age is creeping up on him or I'm bowling well, as I got him 3 times in about 20 balls? One of them was a beaut - my top-spinner, it had him totally flummoxed at least twice and bowled him once - he came forward, stepped wide freeing his arms, playing for the turn looking to smash the ball through the off-side - off the lower bounce of my leg break and the ball just went big on him over the top of the bat clipping the off-stump.

Back