Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

We had training tonight. We had 17 blokes down to training, which was a good turn out.(We have about 20 we have to cut down to 11 which is going to be difficult) Unfortunately we only have one net so it makes getting a decent bowl difficult. I didnt bowl to well tonight. I beat the bat a few times but I seemed to tighten up and it didnt come out of the hand properly.
My batting though was very good. I didnt give any chances and felt really solid, even when some of them were swinging it quite a way. Im getting used to wearing the helmet too.
We had a good long fielding practice too. All the boys were saying they have never seen a Batlow side so keen before. We have a bye this weekend for the first round but then take on the premiers from last year at their home ground.

We had training tonight. We had 17 blokes down to training, which was a good turn out.(We have about 20 we have to cut down to 11 which is going to be difficult) Unfortunately we only have one net so it makes getting a decent bowl difficult. I didnt bowl to well tonight. I beat the bat a few times but I seemed to tighten up and it didnt come out of the hand properly.
My batting though was very good. I didnt give any chances and felt really solid, even when some of them were swinging it quite a way. Im getting used to wearing the helmet too.
We had a good long fielding practice too. All the boys were saying they have never seen a Batlow side so keen before. We have a bye this weekend for the first round but then take on the premiers from last year at their home ground.

Who picks the team ? Playing premiers straight up will give you a good idea how youse will go, wont it ?
Pretty hard to loosen up with such a long line up at nets. I suppose you could be practising bowling the first ball each time you got your go. Or trying a variation. But i suppose your still out to impress enough to get picked so getting your legbreak on the spot is your go?

Who picks the team ? Playing premiers straight up will give you a good idea how youse will go, wont it ?
Pretty hard to loosen up with such a long line up at nets. I suppose you could be practising bowling the first ball each time you got your go. Or trying a variation. But i suppose your still out to impress enough to get picked so getting your legbreak on the spot is your go?

I brought up the point of selection at the AGM as I thought it may be a problem. The captain picks the team with a bit of advice from me and another (his brother) but ultimately its up to him. My idea was to set up a set of guidelines for selection that players know about and to stop confusion and inconsistencies. My idea was we generally try and go with our best 11 for Saturday competition. The problems come with a few players who cant get to training although they are decent enough players and have played for years although they aren't exceptionally good automatic selections and it seems hard to leave someone out who trains every week and is improving. Another problem is some of the younger guys who are all pretty even in skill level. Should we rotate them each week so everyone gets a game and keep them all interested.
My preference is to reward players that train. We are also planning on having a 12th man who will do a good amount of fielding.
We play a 6 a side competition and a 20/20 competition too apparently and I think these should be used for the players that don't get much of a go and have a strong team for saturday.
Mostly I don't really want players to get disgruntled about selection, if they know the saturday team is the best 11 then they may be disappointed not to get a game but at least they know why they werent selected and they can strive to get in the team. You want a culture in the club where players want to get better.

It will be interesting playing the top team first up. It will show where we are at from the start and where we need to improve. The more I look at training Id say batting is going to be our problem, we have no end of bowlers.

I had a quick bowl this afternoon and bowledreally well trying to come in and bowl a little quicker. I think at training Im trying too hard to relax and slowing everything down too much.
I bowled an over or so of fast bowling and they said what do you want to bowl as I would get the new ball if I wanted but I said I definately prefer spin so thats it, Im a spin bowler now!!

Young bloke started well in first game 5 overs 1/7. Took his first wicket with his first ball of his 3rd over. That was first over after drinks. That was his first maiden as well. Team lost though and this year they dont wont to lose too many games because they are playing for promotion to 1st div and turf wickets, more umpires.

First wicket for his team this season. Once again he came on and got the opener out. Typically this guy was going great against the quicks but as soon as the legspinner came on he floundered. You know he came up to me at drinks and told me he was going to get this kid out soon if he got a good go at him because he didn't move his feet and that's exactly what happened, next ball.

Gee that made me feel good because i wasn't really sure how he would go this season. He has a sore left toe and he hasn't had the preparation he normally has. He reckons he didn't feel his toe but it looks bad.

On the way to the ground we stopped and he had an overs bowling on a pitch. He bowled up 4 good legbreaks and a topspinner and a wrongun.They were all good balls and potential wicket takers. I said bowl like that in the game and youre bound to get a wicket or two. Only then did I think he might go alright. He gave the ball plenty of loop today and had the perfect breeze to bowl into. He had the drift and the drop happening from what i could see. He got more bounce off a length than any other bowler. Spinning anything from 3 inches to a foot.

Young bloke started well in first game 5 overs 1/7. Took his first wicket with his first ball of his 3rd over. That was first over after drinks. That was his first maiden as well. Team lost though and this year they dont wont to lose too many games because they are playing for promotion to 1st div and turf wickets, more umpires.

First wicket for his team this season. Once again he came on and got the opener out. Typically this guy was going great against the quicks but as soon as the legspinner came on he floundered. You know he came up to me at drinks and told me he was going to get this kid out soon if he got a good go at him because he didn't move his feet and that's exactly what happened, next ball.

Gee that made me feel good because i wasn't really sure how he would go this season. He has a sore left toe and he hasn't had the preparation he normally has. He reckons he didn't feel his toe but it looks bad.

On the way to the ground we stopped and he had an overs bowling on a pitch. He bowled up 4 good legbreaks and a topspinner and a wrongun.They were all good balls and potential wicket takers. I said bowl like that in the game and youre bound to get a wicket or two. Only then did I think he might go alright. He gave the ball plenty of loop today and had the perfect breeze to bowl into. He had the drift and the drop happening from what i could see. He got more bounce off a length than any other bowler. Spinning anything from 3 inches to a foot.

That's great Macca. Good to see his is noticing what the batsman is doing. Do you find his bowling is just too good for the batsman at times. Whereas a really good batsman may get an edge most batsmen dont get within Cooee.
Its a good idea bowling a few overs before a match. I think I am going to have a good bowl in the nets before the matches this year.
Although there is a fair amount of time between bowling in the nets to the time you actually bowl in the mtch its got to be better than not having bowled at all that day

That's great Macca. Good to see his is noticing what the batsman is doing. Do you find his bowling is just too good for the batsman at times. Whereas a really good batsman may get an edge most batsmen dont get within Cooee.
Its a good idea bowling a few overs before a match. I think I am going to have a good bowl in the nets before the matches this year.
Although there is a fair amount of time between bowling in the nets to the time you actually bowl in the mtch its got to be better than not having bowled at all that day

The batsman he got out today is a good player . I just checked his career batting record and in 45 innings this kid has only one duck!! I reckon my sons bowling is wasted on anyone below div1 or 2. 3,4 and 5 struggle to hit him at all. Except of course if he drops short, than any mug can hit him.

We like to have the hit out on match day on a middle pitch away from nets.

The batsman he got out today is a good player . I just checked his career batting record and in 45 innings this kid has only one duck!! I reckon my sons bowling is wasted on anyone below div1 or 2. 3,4 and 5 struggle to hit him at all. Except of course if he drops short, than any mug can hit him.

We like to have the hit out on match day on a middle pitch away from nets.

I do a bit of practice out in the middle as well. I find it very different to bowling in the nets. The pitch feels a lot narrower and your bowling feels a lot slower. I guess this is because of the wide open spaces. Its good to get used to it more matches,

I had a net yesterday with a mate and something came up that threw a bit of a spanner in the works. I bowled a few fast overs to him to give him a decent practice. I am a front on fast bowler and when I went back to bowling spin I mucked around with a few front on deliveries. Well the thing was it felt really good. My accuracy improved a hell of a lot. Ive been bowling a good length but my line has been poor. Now Im a bit confused as to where to head. My rhythm and action feels very similar (apart from being front on) but after having invested so much time into getting side on and getting reasonable results I just don't know what to do. Withthe season starting in a few days Im not sure whether I should take this new tack or not.
The thing is it just feels a lot more natural to me. I feel a bit foolish really, having simply closed off my mind to the front on action a long time ago and persisting with the side on action blindly although it may be still the way to go. I wish I had a month or two to work on it rather than a few days.

I had a net yesterday with a mate and something came up that threw a bit of a spanner in the works. I bowled a few fast overs to him to give him a decent practice. I am a front on fast bowler and when I went back to bowling spin I mucked around with a few front on deliveries. Well the thing was it felt really good. My accuracy improved a hell of a lot. Ive been bowling a good length but my line has been poor. Now Im a bit confused as to where to head. My rhythm and action feels very similar (apart from being front on) but after having invested so much time into getting side on and getting reasonable results I just don't know what to do. Withthe season starting in a few days Im not sure whether I should take this new tack or not.
The thing is it just feels a lot more natural to me. I feel a bit foolish really, having simply closed off my mind to the front on action a long time ago and persisting with the side on action blindly although it may be still the way to go. I wish I had a month or two to work on it rather than a few days.

Ooh blimey, this is one for an expert I reckon. I must say when I bowl I think I have a tendency to be more front on and getting side-on is a bit of struggle, but when I do get side I do notice the difference in that the ball does all the right things. Like you the front on-ness definitely feels more natural, but everyone says that getting side on is absolutely essential.

Ooh blimey, this is one for an expert I reckon. I must say when I bowl I think I have a tendency to be more front on and getting side-on is a bit of struggle, but when I do get side I do notice the difference in that the ball does all the right things. Like you the front on-ness definitely feels more natural, but everyone says that getting side on is absolutely essential.

I know. Everything you read or see about spin bowling advocates getting perfectly side on. No one even considers being front on. Thats what influenced my decision to go side on early. The more I think about it though the more it confuses me. The problem I have is Ive bowled 1000's of overs over the years and conditioned myself as a front on bowler. I always seem to struggle with going beyond the vertical with my arm( or an inside out arm action as I think of it) when I am side on, yet when I go front on I dont have this problem.
Get your computer fixed soon Dave, the forum slows right down when your not about!!!

I know. Everything you read or see about spin bowling advocates getting perfectly side on. No one even considers being front on. Thats what influenced my decision to go side on early. The more I think about it though the more it confuses me. The problem I have is Ive bowled 1000's of overs over the years and conditioned myself as a front on bowler. I always seem to struggle with going beyond the vertical with my arm( or an inside out arm action as I think of it) when I am side on, yet when I go front on I dont have this problem.
Get your computer fixed soon Dave, the forum slows right down when your not about!!!

Yeah sorted with some help from my mates, I'm back on line, just got to get the hard-drive out of the old machine and see whether that got damaged in the 'Explosion'! The power unit blew up basically, so I've had to go out and buy a new one, some of the people I've spoken to have said that the surge through the system probably would have killed several key components within the computer and possibly the hard drive. I hope not as there's thousands of images on it for the whole of this year of my kids and loads of videos! Fingers crossed they'll be okay.

I
I had a quick bowl this afternoon and bowledreally well trying to come in and bowl a little quicker. I think at training Im trying too hard to relax and slowing everything down too much.
I bowled an over or so of fast bowling and they said what do you want to bowl as I would get the new ball if I wanted but I said I definately prefer spin so thats it, Im a spin bowler now!!

Brave move considering your recent posts, I reckon you've got to stick with side-on and persevere. Good luck, hope it all works out and comes together, keep us posted.

Sounds like a good start for Jimmy. How many over in these games Macca?

Thats a tough one. I suppose which one works for you in the match situation is something you will have to try. I mean your going to be bowling for real here shortly and having not decided on your action sounds like you are having a bit of self doubt of sorts.

Sounds like a good start for Jimmy. How many over in these games Macca?

30 overs. If they win this comp they play 50.

Yeah a good start 5 overs 1 maiden 1/7. one off side wide and the rest were 6 singles. Pretty tight stuff against good batsmen. He reckons he landed most deliveries right on legstump and that tied them up.

Funny how since the first game he is now bowling his match action when he practised afterwards. Happens every season. Maybe thats what chippyben will find after his first bowl this season. If it is "front on" to some degree, than so be it ?

Thats a tough one. I suppose which one works for you in the match situation is something you will have to try. I mean your going to be bowling for real here shortly and having not decided on your action sounds like you are having a bit of self doubt of sorts.

I'm kind of inclined to agree with Macca here, although the coaches might disagree completely. For the sake of your place in the side, if you feel that you're going to be more effective bowling with an unconventional action, perhaps do that in the short term with an longer term plan to address it if you feel it is an issue?

I'm kind of inclined to agree with Macca here, although the coaches might disagree completely. For the sake of your place in the side, if you feel that you're going to be more effective bowling with an unconventional action, perhaps do that in the short term with an longer term plan to address it if you feel it is an issue?

Stuart MacGill is quite front on at the end of his delivery and doesn’t pivot really and he was certainly successful. He was also built like a gorilla so could rely on the strength in his shoulder to put revs on the ball. At least when you say front on this is the kind of action I imagine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq6yaLvxk1A
I’m sure that everyone reading this knows the reasoning behind getting side on so I won’t bother going into it but if you think you can generate the same spin and pace front on then who is anyone to say you are wrong. On the other hand if you feel you are sacrificing spin for accuracy then maybe you should reconsider, I think spin should always come first as (again you all know this anyway) revs on the ball produces so much more than just turn off the pitch.
That said you shouldn’t try to be orthodox for the sake of it, if you’re still spinning the ball hard then why not give front on a go.

front on and side on in terms of how they feel are misleading. most times you arent anywhere near to the position you think you are in your brain whilst bowling. i am quite heavily front on but i have tried side on plenty of times. ive thought i got there a few times, but you watch it back on video and its barely different. you might start more side on but you tend to revert mid action anyway.

bowl however is the most natural. the justifications for not bowling front on only apply at the extremes, and arent necesarily correct anyway. there have been plenty of front on leggies with fantastic careers. i bowl front on and generate as much spin and turn as anyone else ive seen in person. accuracy may or may not be worse, but that is more dependant on rhythm and technique than the basic stance of your action. its all a bit of a nonsense once you break it down.

Yeah sorted with some help from my mates, I'm back on line, just got to get the hard-drive out of the old machine and see whether that got damaged in the 'Explosion'! The power unit blew up basically, so I've had to go out and buy a new one, some of the people I've spoken to have said that the surge through the system probably would have killed several key components within the computer and possibly the hard drive. I hope not as there's thousands of images on it for the whole of this year of my kids and loads of videos! Fingers crossed they'll be okay.

You need a surge protector installed in your meter box to stop those spikes that blow up all your appliances. I was speaking to an electrician and he said it was pretty rare but when it does happen you can lose everything, tv, dvd, stereo etc.

Back