Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Young fella had a good hit out this arvo. 6 overs on the heel , not really matchlike then, but out in the middle and trying to get in the zone. Landing them in the pocket nice and full with lots of topspin and legspin mix. Odd wrongun chucked in. I suppose he bowled 31 balls last sat and 6 singles were scored so that is 24 dot balls. One skied catch landed around legslip and the singles were mostly drives and a couple that must have been a bit short down legside but he is well covered by top fielding in those posies.

he dont mind pushing the offside wide limits if he thinks its worth a stumping and he has a top class keeper. He will train with his team tomorrow and saturday he comes up against 3 really good players of spin. Last season these kids played him better than anyone else really, so saturday he might get clobbered.

front on and side on in terms of how they feel are misleading. most times you arent anywhere near to the position you think you are in your brain whilst bowling. i am quite heavily front on but i have tried side on plenty of times. ive thought i got there a few times, but you watch it back on video and its barely different. you might start more side on but you tend to revert mid action anyway.

bowl however is the most natural. the justifications for not bowling front on only apply at the extremes, and arent necesarily correct anyway. there have been plenty of front on leggies with fantastic careers. i bowl front on and generate as much spin and turn as anyone else ive seen in person. accuracy may or may not be worse, but that is more dependant on rhythm and technique than the basic stance of your action. its all a bit of a nonsense once you break it down.

That's a really good point. I was going to add you should video yourself and look for the difference, it's probably not as dramatic as you think.

I had a bowl tonight and I went with what felt natural which was a more front on action. Until the xmas break I think this is the way I am going to have to go. Otherwise Im just going to bowl rubbish in a match and thats not going to do any good. At xmas we have a months break and I;ll have some time off work so I can try and work things out again then.
One point I did notice is the path of my bowling arm. If you do this little exercise. Go through the action in a front on position and stop the arm at the point of release and vertical(no round arm). Then keeping the arm in that position turn the body to the classic side on position then you see the arm is past the vertical and if you continue on you see the arm follows what I call an inside out path. I think because of my ingrained fast bowling action my arm follows the same path whether I am front on or side on with the result of getting side on meaning I have the past the vertical, inside out action which doesnt help with accuracy.
So that is probably why the front on action is more accurate.
As paul and Jim said though maybe the differnece isnt so much. I mean everything else still applies. The rhythm still feels the same, you still get up on the braced front leg, the feeling of the shoulders rotating over each other is still there.
I bowled 8 overs at the end of my session, trying to put some pressure on myself to bowl every ball on the spot. Out of 48 balls 33 were good(8-12feet from stumps and in a box between leg stump and a foot or so outside off) with about 10 of them absolute rippers. 15 were bad balls of which 6 were pretty bad(full tosses or short) So about 2/3rds were acceptable. I think if I can bowl 4 good balls an over and hopefully the other 2 arent too bad and some of those 4 are rippers Id be pretty happy.

Out of 48 balls 33 were good(8-12feet from stumps and in a box between leg stump and a foot or so outside off) with about 10 of them absolute rippers. 15 were bad balls of which 6 were pretty bad(full tosses or short) So about 2/3rds were acceptable. I think if I can bowl 4 good balls an over and hopefully the other 2 arent too bad and some of those 4 are rippers Id be pretty happy.

sounds like youre in ok sort of form. Are you on this weekend?

sounds like youre in ok sort of form. Are you on this weekend?
Not too bad really. The results seem ok just the confidence with my action is a liitle down. I guess nerves are going to reduce the amount of good balls too. We are playing tomorrow if the rain stays away.
Its good Jimmy has a good keeper. I had a go out in the middle with our keeper on Wednesday with our old keeper giving him advice. I must admit I know next to nothing about keeping. For leg spin should the keeper be taking it in his left hand, then any extra turn or an edge gives him that extra few inchs that hopefully ends up in his right hand. From reputation our keeper was terrible last year but I think he looked quite good so lets hope he has improved.
Ha ha full tosses aren't any good if they end up over the fence though!!

Not too bad really. The results seem ok just the confidence with my action is a liitle down. I guess nerves are going to reduce the amount of good balls too. We are playing tomorrow if the rain stays away.
Its good Jimmy has a good keeper. I had a go out in the middle with our keeper on Wednesday with our old keeper giving him advice. I must admit I know next to nothing about keeping. For leg spin should the keeper be taking it in his left hand, then any extra turn or an edge gives him that extra few inchs that hopefully ends up in his right hand. From reputation our keeper was terrible last year but I think he looked quite good so lets hope he has improved.
Ha ha full tosses aren't any good if they end up over the fence though!!

I notice the 2 really outstanding keepers my son has been lucky to have behind the stumps it is more footwork than glovework that gets their hands ready for that edge. Dunno how they do it, keep that is, i mean it is easy without a batsman there but get one in the way and i am hopeless.

Coach gave jimmy some big praise tonight for his bowling last week. Nerves are never a problem for him, he is super confident and on the warpath for scalps. He loves to bowl mainly dots thats for sure.

Have a good one tomorrow, it wont rain down your way will it?

Young bloke bowled really well again today. 5 overs 1 maiden 0/6. So cumulative this season thats 10 overs 2 maidens 1/13.

30 balls there were 26 dot balls. But the dots dont mean quite as much this week because the other mob were just taking their time running down a small target and weren't really going flat out to score. Still a really good contest between my jimmy and this sri lankan kid that plays rep. He had him coming forward to everything except one cut shot. He played a nice drive or two but mainly just got down the pitch and smothered the spin.

So far this season things aren't going so well for my sons team compared to last season. The step up in division and the fact that all the kids haven't bowled much, except for my son who bowls all year round, means they have lost both their first 2 games. Next week they play another really good team.

My blokes the best spinner so far i have seen in the comp. By far the most accurate and consistent. I was half expecting him to go for a few runs today but he just kept giving the ball plenty of flight but not overpitching really and bringing the batsman forward. I was sitting behind him watching him giving each ball an almighty flick and these things were spinning. The bats were drawn forward like he had some sort of magnetic force on them.

I thought he missed an opportunity to throw in a slider or shorter faster one but i dont coach him much on that stuff really. Thats good legspin when you see a good batsman tied down. As he was captain today he did cop a reprimand from the opposition coach over he and his teams sledging but we just had a laugh about that.

Young bloke bowled really well again today. 5 overs 1 maiden 0/6. So cumulative this season thats 10 overs 2 maidens 1/13.

30 balls there were 26 dot balls. But the dots dont mean quite as much this week because the other mob were just taking their time running down a small target and weren't really going flat out to score. Still a really good contest between my jimmy and this sri lankan kid that plays rep. He had him coming forward to everything except one cut shot. He played a nice drive or two but mainly just got down the pitch and smothered the spin.

So far this season things aren't going so well for my sons team compared to last season. The step up in division and the fact that all the kids haven't bowled much, except for my son who bowls all year round, means they have lost both their first 2 games. Next week they play another really good team.

My blokes the best spinner so far i have seen in the comp. By far the most accurate and consistent. I was half expecting him to go for a few runs today but he just kept giving the ball plenty of flight but not overpitching really and bringing the batsman forward. I was sitting behind him watching him giving each ball an almighty flick and these things were spinning. The bats were drawn forward like he had some sort of magnetic force on them.

I thought he missed an opportunity to throw in a slider or shorter faster one but i dont coach him much on that stuff really. Thats good legspin when you see a good batsman tied down. As he was captain today he did cop a reprimand from the opposition coach over he and his teams sledging but we just had a laugh about that.

How bad does the sledging get - and how old is Jimmy and the rest of the players -13/14?

How old is Jimmy? It seems to me that being able to bowl so accurately and honing his action from a young age, and his confident nature can only bode well for the future. My guess is if he maintains his interest you will find that his results will improve year on year and that results ,i.e wickets at this stage arent as important as constant improvment.
Id have to say Im not a big fan of sledging, not in the Australia of the 90's style especially, the odd witty comment is ok but not pure abuse so I hope their team isnt like that.

How old is Jimmy? It seems to me that being able to bowl so accurately and honing his action from a young age, and his confident nature can only bode well for the future. My guess is if he maintains his interest you will find that his results will improve year on year and that results ,i.e wickets at this stage arent as important as constant improvment.
Id have to say Im not a big fan of sledging, not in the Australia of the 90's style especially, the odd witty comment is ok but not pure abuse so I hope their team isnt like that.

hes only 13 and the sledging thing is just that, the odd witty comment but i think there was some misunderstanding over what the word "ninja" meant and there is a bit of history with this coach that i cant go in to. You have to laugh at what they come up with like when my young bloke went out to bat he asked his partner what the bowler was like and he said "retarded and possibly high on drugs"

H e doesn't sledge while he bowls though, he gets good encouragement from his team but when he is fielding i know he loves to have a joke and is in it up to his neck. But when he bowls he sort of hustles his way through his overs and the batsmen dont get much of a break.

He loves that billy birmingham stuff and thinks "that is the greatest sledge you will ever hear my friend" is for real but really the whole game is a one big joke for him, except maybe when he bowls

Well we had an absolutely bloody awful and downright embarassing start to the season. We won the toss and batted and were all out for 48 runs. I batted no.5 and top scored with 17. I went in with the score at 3/28 and was last man out on 48. I was at the non strikers end at the start of one over and the score was 3/34 and by the end of the over we were 7/34 with the bowler taking a double hatrick. Unbelievable. The thing was his wasnt quick, wasnt swinging it or moving it off the seam.He just bowled 4 full balls on the stumps and our appalling batsman just couldnt play a simple forward defence. I was ropable. I was feeling really good with the bat and hit 3 nice 4's.
The last man came in and the first thing he said to me is Im just going to have a swing. Well I told him in no uncertain terms that that was the last thing he was to do. From watching him at training I could see he wasnt going to last more than a few balls though so I decided I had to go for it so I hit out at the bowler, who ended up with 8/15. I hit him for 4, 2 then was caught on the long on boundry. I was really dissapppointed because Im sure if Id had a few partners stick around today I would have made a few runs. I had no real option but to hit out at the end though I could have just batted for my average I suppose.
The complete lack off technique in our batsman was the most dissappointing aspect. The last 6 batsman all got ducks!!!
I shouldnt be surprised though after watching training where they all just go for a slog.
I could see there was no chance of getting a bowl at leg spin today but the captain asked me if I'd open bowling fast so I said yes. Better to get a bowl than none at all. 0/8 off 3 with 2 no balls( over stepping) which I wasnt too happy about. I had one edge dropped.
They reached our total after 8 overs. The last over going for 18 with our supposed spearhead bowling 1 no ball and 5 wides. Another thing that was rubbish was their bowling to left handers, they just couldnt realign themselves and bowled everything down leg.
It just seems to be a damning indictment on the coaching of the juniors in Batlow as they come through to the senior level without the basic skills needed.
On the up side a few of the blokes from the other team remembered me and we had a few beers and a laugh after the game. Ive put my name forward for the rep team too so hopefully I get a run in that.

Well we had an absolutely bloody awful and downright embarassing start to the season. We won the toss and batted and were all out for 48 runs. I batted no.5 and top scored with 17. I went in with the score at 3/28 and was last man out on 48. I was at the non strikers end at the start of one over and the score was 3/34 and by the end of the over we were 7/34 with the bowler taking a double hatrick. Unbelievable. The thing was his wasnt quick, wasnt swinging it or moving it off the seam.He just bowled 4 full balls on the stumps and our appalling batsman just couldnt play a simple forward defence. I was ropable. I was feeling really good with the bat and hit 3 nice 4's.
The last man came in and the first thing he said to me is Im just going to have a swing. Well I told him in no uncertain terms that that was the last thing he was to do. From watching him at training I could see he wasnt going to last more than a few balls though so I decided I had to go for it so I hit out at the bowler, who ended up with 8/15. I hit him for 4, 2 then was caught on the long on boundry. I was really dissapppointed because Im sure if Id had a few partners stick around today I would have made a few runs. I had no real option but to hit out at the end though I could have just batted for my average I suppose.
The complete lack off technique in our batsman was the most dissappointing aspect. The last 6 batsman all got ducks!!!
I shouldnt be surprised though after watching training where they all just go for a slog.
I could see there was no chance of getting a bowl at leg spin today but the captain asked me if I'd open bowling fast so I said yes. Better to get a bowl than none at all. 0/8 off 3 with 2 no balls( over stepping) which I wasnt too happy about. I had one edge dropped.
They reached our total after 8 overs. The last over going for 18 with our supposed spearhead bowling 1 no ball and 5 wides. Another thing that was rubbish was their bowling to left handers, they just couldnt realign themselves and bowled everything down leg.
It just seems to be a damning indictment on the coaching of the juniors in Batlow as they come through to the senior level without the basic skills needed.
On the up side a few of the blokes from the other team remembered me and we had a few beers and a laugh after the game. Ive put my name forward for the rep team too so hopefully I get a run in that.

sounds like a lot of your guys were underprepared and still in footy windown mode? can only get better eh? I bet there will be vast improvement and just gotta hope youse can catch up later on.

I take it this is your new club in the Batlow area you've just moved to?

I take it this is your new club in the Batlow area you've just moved to?

Yep. I thought batting would be our problem but I didnt think it would be that bad. I looked on the internet at my old clubs results. They lost first innings 107 to 109 but chased down 8/188dec in 22overs to win outright. Thats the sort of cricket I want to play. Not matches that barely last 20 overs in their entirety.

Yep. I thought batting would be our problem but I didnt think it would be that bad. I looked on the internet at my old clubs results. They lost first innings 107 to 109 but chased down 8/188dec in 22overs to win outright. Thats the sort of cricket I want to play. Not matches that barely last 20 overs in their entirety.

I still reckon there might be massive improvement with a lot of those blokes. Do you know any of their past records ?
But if there is no improvement then you wont get much legspin in will you?

I have a question for you legspinners: In this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4x3QWQC6Tc

At 3:50, Brad Hogg bowls Ganguly with a quick, straight delivery, which is described by the commentator as a flipper. It's a delivery he regularly gets wickets with. Could you have a look at tell me whether you think it is a flipper or (as I suspect) something else entirely?

Thanks

Back