Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I know exactly what you mean. Thats what i tell jimmy. its not so much arm speed as arm strength

Too bad about the rain old boy, my young bloke got a game in before the weather hits us and had their first win of the season. Massive win so he didn't even need to bowl.

Great you got rep selection. Good luck tomorrow

Good result, shame about not getting a bowl but I guess that's the lot of a leg spinner.
"Arm strength" is a description I really like as when you bowl properly the arm feels really strong. It feels strong through good technique without any extra effort too. So whilst the arm is going faster no extra effort is really put in so the result is all the more surprising because for no extra physical effort there is a real gain. The effort is all mental in maintaining the right technique and not getting lazy.

They actually got rolled for a bit less than your teams total last week so it was good to see them turn it around this week. Maybe your mob can do the same next saturday ?

Yeah easy - it's the Wrong Wrong Un.

1. learn how to click your fingers with a ball in there as you do with all the Flippers.
2. Grip the ball ready for the Flipper click.
3. Bowl exactly as you would for the Wrong Un, but instead of releasing off the 3rd finger - click your fingers as in the Flipper click.

Now there is a caveat here....... Getting it to break towards off (Like a Leg Break) is the slightly harder aspect and more and more I'm beginning to be not bothered by the fact that it does or doesn't. What matters is the fact that the bowlers just seen what he perceives to be a Wrong Un, so he's waiting for an off break. My own experience of bowling the Wrong Wrong Un recently, is that it's exceptionally accurate, much faster than my Leg Break and very flat in comparison (flightwise). Sometimes it breaks to off, other times it breaks to leg, but more than anything it's different and it skids through low and it's a variation on what I normally do, therefore without it being 'textbook' perfect it still has validity and still potentially useful. My own experience with Flippers mirrors Grimmets, of all the Flippers I've tried in games, it's the top-spinning flipper that's got me wickets.

:( Dave still not clear..

my precise confusion is >>>Is it physiologically possible for a bowler to do flexion of 2/3rd finger (bcoz of clicking while flipping) WHILE DOING EXTENSION (IMPORTANT) of Wrist SIMULTANEOUSLY in one go?? becoz the extensor muscle of back of hand which are extending the wrist (1/2/3 frame) are also involved somehow in flexion of all fingers. Somehow it is possible in normal wrist position... BUT How about in Back Hand position... the muscle memory for this unusual movement (rather opposite set of movement !!) will be really tough.... becoz coordination of oppo movement in a flow ...:eek:
being a mentor of flipper (of all variation) I would like to see it in a vid posted by you for being more convincing!!

Am I clear to u!!

:( Dave still not clear..

my precise confusion is >>>Is it physiologically possible for a bowler to do flexion of 2/3rd finger (bcoz of clicking while flipping) WHILE DOING EXTENSION (IMPORTANT) of Wrist SIMULTANEOUSLY in one go?? becoz the extensor muscle of back of hand which are extending the wrist (1/2/3 frame) are also involved somehow in flexion of all fingers. Somehow it is possible in normal wrist position... BUT How about in Back Hand position... the muscle memory for this unusual movement (rather opposite set of movement !!) will be really tough.... becoz coordination of oppo movement in a flow ...:eek:
being a mentor of flipper (of all variation) I would like to see it in a vid posted by you for being more convincing!!

Am I clear to u!!
What do you mean by normal wrist position ? The legbreak and backspun flipper are from roughly what you would call normal wrist position. The overspun flipper is from what you might call abnormal wrist posi for legspinner. More offspinners wrist posi is used for that.

Without illustrations it's difficult to understand what you're driving at. If it concerns the Hogg delivery, I couldn't say what he's doing - I've changed my mind about 3 times!!!

As Macca says the over-spun (top-spinner) Flipper is difficult, but so to are the Wrong Wrong Un and the Off-spinning flipper and without high speed cameras it would be difficult to say whether I actually produce the desired outcome at the point of release. Having said that I don't think it's that much of an issue, because even if I am getting it wrong at the point of release the outcome down at the business end is vastly different to my leg break. The purpose of my Youtube videos is to make people aware that there are series of variations simply by changing the angle of the wrist at the point of release and for people to perhaps give them a go. Having tried 5 or 6 different theoretical deliveries - the most recent being Benauds/Rajans 'Flying Saucer type, I'm of the opinion that getting them text book perfect is not that important, as they're variations and if you're able to bowl any of them you're quite likely to do so with some kind of idiosyncratic aspect.

The out of the back of the hand approach from my own experiments playing with a ball over a short distance suits the way in which Murali bowls his Doosra as the twist of the arm is done with the arm twisting clockwise rather than anti-clockwise in conventional actions.

Try this with a tennis ball. Hold your right arm out in front of you and twist your hand round so that the palm faces upwards. Place the ball in the finger and thumb position and bend the wrist right back towards you, so that you middle, index finger and thumb are pointing at your face (Keep your arm straight). Now lift your arm vertical and bring it down forwards with the wrist angled back, then at about 2 oclock click the ball out of the hand. You'll produce an out of the back of the hand delivery that breaks like big leg break. Depending on how much flexibility you have in your arms and wrist and finger dexterity to produce the click you may or may not be able to do this and this as far as I can make out is the kind of demo that Grimmett would have done with a table tennis ball on a dinner table showing how with differing angled wrist positions you can make the ball break in different ways. It's also how the under-arm spinners that Grimmett would have picked the delivery up from would more than likely produced their variations.

Now take that same principle to bowling the wrong un, as you run/walk in for your wrong un, re-position the ball into the Flipper grip and try and replicate what I've explained above with the angled back hand. It's not easy and it maybe the case that for some people it may be completely impossible - remember some people can't bowl wrong uns, but I've got a good wrong un if I put some practice in, plus I've got a good click and lots of mobility in my wrist.

Videos are off the radar at the minute what with a new computer and this crap windows 7 operating system, Microsoft have completely buggered up windows movie maker, it is appalling and unsuable. Hope the explanation sheds some light on your question.

We lost our rep game on Sunday. They got 220 from 50 overs and we fell 30 runs short. I had a mixed day, starting off by dropping a sitter in the field. I bowled 5 overs of pace 0/22 against 2 very set batsman and it was all I could do to limit them to 4 an over. We were off to a flyer with the bat, our openers taking apart their pace attack. Then they put their spinners on and it all turned around. We were looking good but lost our last 6 wickets for 15 runs.(2 run outs) I went in no.6 and was not out on 15 at the end.
They bowled 2 leg spinners and 2 off spinners for the last 25 to 30 overs.
One of their leg spinners turned it a mile and got plenty of bounce. He bowled too short mostly and I played 3 or 4 cut shots against him for most of my runs and pulled a full toss he bowled me for 4. When he bowled a good length though it was really hard to play. I was dropped at slip first ball off him. He bowled a beauty, got me coming forward to defend and it turned and took the edge. I almost felt sorry for him, Almost! Another delivery he bowled was short and I went back to pull it but it bounced so much I didnt go through with the shot and just took it on the shoulder. It was a really good experience to face a leg spinner of his ability. It really shows how important length is. Too short and it was easy runs even if he was turning it , too full and it was easy to play. I faced probably 15 balls off him and Id say only 3-4 were on the real danger length. Because he was bowling an off stump line and getting so much bounce I safely left a couple. The first one I played at as I mentioned I was dropped off and one I thought was full that I drove at but mistimed, lofted and only just cleared cover. ( I probably wouldnt have played that shot normally but we were pushing for runs). I had a chat with him after the game in the pub and he said he gets the majority of his wickets off catches from mishits.
I was pretty pleased with my batting, Ive been using my version of a forward press, getting most of my weight on the ball of my front foot. It really helped against the spinners, especially being able to push back quickly onto the back foot and I surprised myself with some of my cut shots, playing them very late. I was really trying to make sure against the spinners that I got right back or right forward and preferably back as I know when Im bowling in the nets I dont really like seeing them go back. The other thing is that because it was quite slow it felt like I had time to process how I should be playing each delivery. If he was another 10-15ks quicker I wouldnt have been as comfortable.
I hit the leg spinner for 2 runs then the full toss for 4 and I could almost see him lose confidence and I was thinking of how I would feel in his position. It gave me confidence batting as thought he would probably tighten up a bit.
A great learning experience all in all.

We lost our rep game on Sunday. They got 220 from 50 overs and we fell 30 runs short. I had a mixed day, starting off by dropping a sitter in the field. I bowled 5 overs of pace 0/22 against 2 very set batsman and it was all I could do to limit them to 4 an over. We were off to a flyer with the bat, our openers taking apart their pace attack. Then they put their spinners on and it all turned around. We were looking good but lost our last 6 wickets for 15 runs.(2 run outs) I went in no.6 and was not out on 15 at the end.
They bowled 2 leg spinners and 2 off spinners for the last 25 to 30 overs.
One of their leg spinners turned it a mile and got plenty of bounce. He bowled too short mostly and I played 3 or 4 cut shots against him for most of my runs and pulled a full toss he bowled me for 4. When he bowled a good length though it was really hard to play. I was dropped at slip first ball off him. He bowled a beauty, got me coming forward to defend and it turned and took the edge. I almost felt sorry for him, Almost! Another delivery he bowled was short and I went back to pull it but it bounced so much I didnt go through with the shot and just took it on the shoulder. It was a really good experience to face a leg spinner of his ability. It really shows how important length is. Too short and it was easy runs even if he was turning it , too full and it was easy to play. I faced probably 15 balls off him and Id say only 3-4 were on the real danger length. Because he was bowling an off stump line and getting so much bounce I safely left a couple. The first one I played at as I mentioned I was dropped off and one I thought was full that I drove at but mistimed, lofted and only just cleared cover. ( I probably wouldnt have played that shot normally but we were pushing for runs). I had a chat with him after the game in the pub and he said he gets the majority of his wickets off catches from mishits.
I was pretty pleased with my batting, Ive been using my version of a forward press, getting most of my weight on the ball of my front foot. It really helped against the spinners, especially being able to push back quickly onto the back foot and I surprised myself with some of my cut shots, playing them very late. I was really trying to make sure against the spinners that I got right back or right forward and preferably back as I know when Im bowling in the nets I dont really like seeing them go back. The other thing is that because it was quite slow it felt like I had time to process how I should be playing each delivery. If he was another 10-15ks quicker I wouldnt have been as comfortable.
I hit the leg spinner for 2 runs then the full toss for 4 and I could almost see him lose confidence and I was thinking of how I would feel in his position. It gave me confidence batting as thought he would probably tighten up a bit.
A great learning experience all in all.

I suppose the legspinner you came up against was good enough to get picked for his district so he must be half decent.

imagine how much better he would be with 15k more pace and better accuracy.

Have you got a legspinner in your rep team, other than yourself ?

Without illustrations it's difficult to understand what you're driving at. If it concerns the Hogg delivery, I couldn't say what he's doing - I've changed my mind about 3 times!!!

As Macca says the over-spun (top-spinner) Flipper is difficult, but so to are the Wrong Wrong Un and the Off-spinning flipper and without high speed cameras it would be difficult to say whether I actually produce the desired outcome at the point of release. Having said that I don't think it's that much of an issue, because even if I am getting it wrong at the point of release the outcome down at the business end is vastly different to my leg break. The purpose of my Youtube videos is to make people aware that there are series of variations simply by changing the angle of the wrist at the point of release and for people to perhaps give them a go. Having tried 5 or 6 different theoretical deliveries - the most recent being Benauds/Rajans 'Flying Saucer type, I'm of the opinion that getting them text book perfect is not that important, as they're variations and if you're able to bowl any of them you're quite likely to do so with some kind of idiosyncratic aspect.

The out of the back of the hand approach from my own experiments playing with a ball over a short distance suits the way in which Murali bowls his Doosra as the twist of the arm is done with the arm twisting clockwise rather than anti-clockwise in conventional actions.

Try this with a tennis ball. Hold your right arm out in front of you and twist your hand round so that the palm faces upwards. Place the ball in the finger and thumb position and bend the wrist right back towards you, so that you middle, index finger and thumb are pointing at your face (Keep your arm straight). Now lift your arm vertical and bring it down forwards with the wrist angled back, then at about 2 oclock click the ball out of the hand. You'll produce an out of the back of the hand delivery that breaks like big leg break. Depending on how much flexibility you have in your arms and wrist and finger dexterity to produce the click you may or may not be able to do this and this as far as I can make out is the kind of demo that Grimmett would have done with a table tennis ball on a dinner table showing how with differing angled wrist positions you can make the ball break in different ways. It's also how the under-arm spinners that Grimmett would have picked the delivery up from would more than likely produced their variations.

Now take that same principle to bowling the wrong un, as you run/walk in for your wrong un, re-position the ball into the Flipper grip and try and replicate what I've explained above with the angled back hand. It's not easy and it maybe the case that for some people it may be completely impossible - remember some people can't bowl wrong uns, but I've got a good wrong un if I put some practice in, plus I've got a good click and lots of mobility in my wrist.

Videos are off the radar at the minute what with a new computer and this crap windows 7 operating system, Microsoft have completely buggered up windows movie maker, it is appalling and unsuable. Hope the explanation sheds some light on your question.

We grew up using that delivery in games of mini cricket where a tennis ball was flicked from about 8-10 yards away when I was a cricket-mad teenager. Everyone at school knew how to bowl it. It spins like a big leg break (although its actually a doosra with a little extra thumb involved). The most common variation used the same wrist position, but the fingers flicked backwards so the ball came off the inside of the 2nd finger. This produced a kind of skidding offbreak.

Unfortunately neither delivery is physically possible to bowl in a game because the tendon of the thumb isn't long enough for you to be able to flick the ball like that with a straight arm. But it doesn't matter, because you can bowl the exact same deliveries just using the fingers. The thumb is only really needed in these flicking games to add the extra spin and impetus that a full bowling action provides automatically.

I suppose the legspinner you came up against was good enough to get picked for his district so he must be half decent.

imagine how much better he would be with 15k more pace and better accuracy.

Have you got a legspinner in your rep team, other than yourself ?

He would have been almost unplayable if he had the length spot on and was a tad quicker. He was top wicket taker with over 40 wickets in their comp last season. I'm the only leg spinner in our team but I really want to get some saturday comp bowling under my belt before I'd be confident enough to bowl to good batsmen in the next level up. Im afraid my confidence might be shattered. Ideally bowling in a few situations where there is nothing to lose would be a good way to ease into it.

We grew up using that delivery in games of mini cricket where a tennis ball was flicked from about 8-10 yards away when I was a cricket-mad teenager. Everyone at school knew how to bowl it. It spins like a big leg break (although its actually a doosra with a little extra thumb involved). The most common variation used the same wrist position, but the fingers flicked backwards so the ball came off the inside of the 2nd finger. This produced a kind of skidding offbreak.

Unfortunately neither delivery is physically possible to bowl in a game because the tendon of the thumb isn't long enough for you to be able to flick the ball like that with a straight arm. But it doesn't matter, because you can bowl the exact same deliveries just using the fingers. The thumb is only really needed in these flicking games to add the extra spin and impetus that a full bowling action provides automatically.

Interesting to hear that you say it's like a Doosra with some extra thumb as that's pretty much what my suspicions led me to believe.

Coming up against a team my son hasn't played against but looking them up on the stats web page they have 3 rep players in their batting line-up.

They will get a test on legspin tomorrow if they can handle our pace attack. No-one has really got on top of jimmys legspin for a couple of years. The last kid to belt him out of the park is in his team now. The best young batsman in town also got the better of him in their one encounter although he should have been stumped at least once.

But last season he only went for 2 boundaries 4,s all season. Which is incredible i reckon. Now he is on 10 overs 2 maidens 1/13 early in the season and as the coach says no-one can get him away.

could be a bit of a problem for his strike rate but i am hoping this weekend these rep batsmen come after him. He has got the best young keeper in the comp working with him. Could be interesting.

All the best to your lad this weekend, I wouldnt worry too much about the strike rate as those sort of figures will be creating plenty of pressure elsewhere for his teammates to take advantage of. I know Dave talks about where wickets come from and the number of catches that leggies get, but I always look for a good understanding between leggie and keeper first and foremost as he is the next best person to keep that pressure up. I tell any keeper standing up that anything that goes past the bat means the bails come off, OK square leg umpire may get a bit sick of coming in (always helps if the keeper makes the effort to pick the bails up for them - perhaps with the odd 'that one was close' and a big grin) but batsmen will immediately feel one of their options, coming down the wicket, carries that much more risk

As you say could be a real test, but equally if batters come in looking to score rather than 'suvive' then that should open up more opportunities (just copy ChippyBen in on this thread as its a classic example of how you can learn to turn a situation into a 'glass half full' scenario). All the best

Coming up against a team my son hasn't played against but looking them up on the stats web page they have 3 rep players in their batting line-up.

They will get a test on legspin tomorrow if they can handle our pace attack. No-one has really got on top of jimmys legspin for a couple of years. The last kid to belt him out of the park is in his team now. The best young batsman in town also got the better of him in their one encounter although he should have been stumped at least once.

But last season he only went for 2 boundaries 4,s all season. Which is incredible i reckon. Now he is on 10 overs 2 maidens 1/13 early in the season and as the coach says no-one can get him away.

could be a bit of a problem for his strike rate but i am hoping this weekend these rep batsmen come after him. He has got the best young keeper in the comp working with him. Could be interesting.

Peter Philpotts averages and strike rates as a kid are under threat - Go Jimmy!

All the best to your lad this weekend, I wouldnt worry too much about the strike rate as those sort of figures will be creating plenty of pressure elsewhere for his teammates to take advantage of. I know Dave talks about where wickets come from and the number of catches that leggies get, but I always look for a good understanding between leggie and keeper first and foremost as he is the next best person to keep that pressure up. I tell any keeper standing up that anything that goes past the bat means the bails come off, OK square leg umpire may get a bit sick of coming in (always helps if the keeper makes the effort to pick the bails up for them - perhaps with the odd 'that one was close' and a big grin) but batsmen will immediately feel one of their options, coming down the wicket, carries that much more risk

As you say could be a real test, but equally if batters come in looking to score rather than 'suvive' then that should open up more opportunities (just copy ChippyBen in on this thread as its a classic example of how you can learn to turn a situation into a 'glass half full' scenario). All the best

If only you could get good quality keeper and spinner training, or better still they were best mates, that would make such a massive difference!

If only you could get good quality keeper and spinner training, or better still they were best mates, that would make such a massive difference!

Yeah it would be good if they did do some training together but the funny thing is though that of all the keepers he has to team up with this kid now is so much better than anyone else it hasn't worried me that they haven't done a lot of seperate training.

Whereas previously i have tried to get him to train after school with his past wicketkeepers the truth is it wouldn't matter how much seperate training he did with those other guys his current partnership is light years ahead. I cant believe how good this little guy is behind the stumps, especially to spinners, but pace bowlers as well. Plus he is a very classy young batsman as well. He doesn't score as heavily as some of the others in the comp but he is one of the best to watch. He can play all the shots, absolutely text book.

They had a bit of a spin off in this trial they played last night and my young bloke took a relative hammering by his recent standards 3 overs,1/6. Overpitched just a fraction probably but nothing short. He went for 6 singles and only beat the bat once really but the other spinners did get absolutely smashed for loads of 4,s and a few 6,s as well.

one of the offspinners looked really good but still copped a hiding. It left me wondering again why nobody is getting stuck in to my jimmy yet. I mean from a distance they were all bowling similar flighted stuff, I noticed my boy was varying his pace and had the quickest delivery and the slowest. Also the most accurate.

See how he goes this morning. Up against a very strong unknown batting line up full of rep players and century makers. Believe me to score a ton in this 30/30 comp takes some doing and is the mark of a good player. If he gets a bowl at these guys he might cop the hiding i keep predicting to him. It might do him some good. He just doesn't accept that anyone can bat against him because, as he puts it he is "so ninja pro" whatever that means.

Looks like a regulation flipper to me in that video, being confused as other things due to low frame rate. Think you're all over analysing a low quality video, the way the fingers are sat on the ball and the way it comes out just says flipper to me.

Yeah it would be good if they did do some training together but the funny thing is though that of all the keepers he has to team up with this kid now is so much better than anyone else it hasn't worried me that they haven't done a lot of seperate training.

Whereas previously i have tried to get him to train after school with his past wicketkeepers the truth is it wouldn't matter how much seperate training he did with those other guys his current partnership is light years ahead. I cant believe how good this little guy is behind the stumps, especially to spinners, but pace bowlers as well. Plus he is a very classy young batsman as well. He doesn't score as heavily as some of the others in the comp but he is one of the best to watch. He can play all the shots, absolutely text book.

They had a bit of a spin off in this trial they played last night and my young bloke took a relative hammering by his recent standards 3 overs,1/6. Overpitched just a fraction probably but nothing short. He went for 6 singles and only beat the bat once really but the other spinners did get absolutely smashed for loads of 4,s and a few 6,s as well.

one of the offspinners looked really good but still copped a hiding. It left me wondering again why nobody is getting stuck in to my jimmy yet. I mean from a distance they were all bowling similar flighted stuff, I noticed my boy was varying his pace and had the quickest delivery and the slowest. Also the most accurate.

See how he goes this morning. Up against a very strong unknown batting line up full of rep players and century makers. Believe me to score a ton in this 30/30 comp takes some doing and is the mark of a good player. If he gets a bowl at these guys he might cop the hiding i keep predicting to him. It might do him some good. He just doesn't accept that anyone can bat against him because, as he puts it he is "so ninja pro" whatever that means.

I'm liking his Ninja Pro attitude, I hope he does well against these cocky batsmen givining it 'The Biggun', it might do him a favour if he comes away acknowledging that they were good and maybe gets hit a bit and has to concede that he's not quite as Ninja as he thought, but if he comes way having been hit for sixes and fours and goes for loads an over - I dunno, what do you reckon, do you reckon he's made of the stuff where he'll be able to pick himself up and bowl well in the next game?

By the sounds of it if he's bowling that well it sounds pretty much that he's landing the ball exactly where he needs to and he's got that natural ability to sense the batsmans playing length/approach and bowl to it? He sounds amazingly good, I hope he shows these other kids what spinnings about when it's done well.

Best of luck to Jimmy for tomorrow, its a fine line between confidence and arrogance and I have yet to meet a teenage who could tell the difference ;) . Macca, as I posted elsewhere, Jimmy seems totally at easy with his bowling at present and although you may think he will go for a few, if he can fall back on all the practice he has put in and keep trying to land the ball in the right areas and not lose his head then I think, as you say, it will do him good just to be pushed. Remember the bowler is always in control of what happens, all the batsman can ever do is react (anything else that is premeditated which is playing right into Jimmy's hands) and as for being "so ninja pro" - if you knew what it meant would he really want to be it? All the best

Looks like a regulation flipper to me in that video, being confused as other things due to low frame rate. Think you're all over analysing a low quality video, the way the fingers are sat on the ball and the way it comes out just says flipper to me.

I never doubted for one minute that it was a flipper. I have actually been waiting to hear your opinion of the clip Jim2019. It looked flipper straight away to me and i couldn't understand why nobody else here thought so as well.

We all had a good day today. Team won, my young bloke bowled really well at the death and got 1/12 off 4 overs with one maiden. so that makes it 14 overs 2 maidens 2/25 so far. They are his updated figures on the results website. He got hit for a boundary today for the first time in quite a while. Full toss got slog swept for 4.

Great conditions with a cross breeze helping his drift. Tell you this coach always seems to put jimmy on the right end as far as breeze goes but he bowls legspin himself so knows a thing or two.

Our team won the toss and bowled. My sons overs where at the end of the innings and he bowled the last over. the batsmen were well set with 1 rep player, the other 2 rep bats were out earlier. This batsman was lefthanded as well. The other batsman was a tailender definite but both of them were going for it in a final run charge to try and get past 100 and set an ok total.

My kid put the brakes on the scoring until his last over. It cost 7 runs but he got a wicket with the third ball of that over. A stumping, yes a great stumping by our reserve wicketkeeper who has visual perception problems and wears glasses! It was given out by the opposition coach as umpire and it looked very close to me. then his last 3 balls were 1,4,1. With the new batsman obviously given instructions to have a slog.

While he was bowling there were 3 runouts and i reckon a lot of them came from a long 11 ball sequence of dot balls he bowled. Previously the 2 batsman had been scoring freely but definately found legspin harder to deal with.

The coach came up afterwards and patted him on the back and said you did just what i asked you to do. To come on at the death and shut them down.

So they ended with a whimper not a bang. Jimmy had a lot to do with keeping them under 100 and our batsman are really sarting to bat well and in partnerships so they chased down the runs with no problems.

Back