Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Man that's a shame mate, I've just been ranting on facebook about racism, I'm sure Mcgill wouldn't have cared who you were - black white, Greek or what ever, being a international cricket player you'd have hoped he was well above all that stuff and you should just got in there! Ah well never mind.

Nah there wasn't any racism involved, just my uncomfortableness being in that environment and shyness showing up even moreso because of Macgill being a star and all :D I'm very sure Macgill is a top bloke and not a racist from what I've seen.

Macca -- reminds me of the old Shane Warne story.

Warney is in the nets and no one knows him. Straight off the beaches with his long blonde hair. He sees Allan Lamb having a net. He goes up to the englishmen and asks if he can have a bowl. They tell him to rack off but the Lamb interrupts and gives him 6 balls. Beat the man 3 times then bowled him on the last delivery. Warney only needed 6 deliveries!

It really is fantastic to hear that your son by himself is working on his mechanics. If there is one thing I believe most about kids -- they're geniuses willing to connect dots that adults find unfeasible. Sort of makes Warney's late blooming even more special. Seriously great news about your son!

Gee my boy bowled outstandingly well today. His team batted first and were defending 90 odd runs. Opposition were making a real go of the runchase via this district rep player. He came in first drop and straight away started to blast away at our pace guys, scoring 6 or so 4,s in the process.

He real is a good player this little batsman, one of the best going around. My son and him have clashed a few times and it has been stalemate each time.

Coach's ploy was to bring the legspinner on early against their star batsman if he got going.

I sat down to watch that first over not knowing what to expect, I know this boy has good footwork against spin bowling and maybe today my young bloke would get his comeuppance i thought.

But somehow at the back of my mind i had this inkling that he might do something special today. Only because of how well he has bowled all week. Started 7 days ago when he reckons he has changed his action to line up his target more using his left arm. OK , i said, while you have it up there how about doing a bit more with it ?

So i was unsure how things would turn out today. Only a slight change in his action but it could have been a disaster. He even reckons he bowled his first ball with his "old" action then swapped to the new.

Anyway he has managed to bowl 5 dot balls to and then clean bowl a real good young player with his improved style so i cant complain. I knew he was getting more drift and spin all week and today he cashed in.

The ball he bowled this first kid with today was a real beauty. Legspinners dream legbreak. It spun a lot more width than the previous 5 dotballs in the over.

Anyway that was the best over my son has ever bowled. Has to be. He has got other rep scalps but the way he set out all week to get a go at this batsman and then foxed him out in 6 painless balls has made my week, even the whole season. A couple more wickets in his second spell including another clean bowled topped it off.

Good work there by Jimmy Macca sounds like he's doing exceptionally well. Interesting point he's made about the leading arm having some impact with regards the change in the spin he's getting. Do you know what he's changed exactly? I find that these slight changes to aspects of your bowling that some of us wouldn't expect to make a big difference, do pan out to make substantial differences. Well done Jimmy (And you Macca for all the work you do with him).

I had pointed out to him months ago that he wasn't using his left arm in the same way as he once did. It might have dropped a bit early and he might have got slack and not reached as high but i didn't like the look even though he was still bowling good enough.

Anyway he decided himself a couple of weeks ago he needed to get his left arm more involved. He reckons he uses it to help line everything up. I just added that while its up there you might as well make good use of it on the pull down.

Stuey Macgill was absolutely brilliant in his return tonight. Best legspin i have seen since he retired i suppose. Legbreaks, topspinners, a couple of backspinners and a wrongun. No long hops or full tosses.

It was just fantastic to see a truly great legspin bowler in action again. A true master.

Warnie will have to bowl good tomorrow to top that spell.

Stuey Macgill was absolutely brilliant in his return tonight. Best legspin i have seen since he retired i suppose. Legbreaks, topspinners, a couple of backspinners and a wrongun. No long hops or full tosses.

It was just fantastic to see a truly great legspin bowler in action again. A true master.

Warnie will have to bowl good tomorrow to top that spell.

Don't suppose we'll ever get to see any of that on the otherside of the pond here? Who's he with - is it the Sydney Uni? Sounds good though.

Done some searching and found it http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...cullum-cops-a-big-bashing-20111216-1oz4o.html sounds good, would have loved to have seen and heard the commentary leading up to that! Did you get to watch it all? Hopefully someone may have recorded it. In fact there's an Aussie bloke on you tube who seems to be able to upload shed loads of stuff. I might go and put a request in for it! If anyone else can post it up somewhere - youtube etc - let us know.

And some more - http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2011/content/current/story/545654.html

Yeah the thought everybody who saw macgill bowl last night was expressed by brett lee as he walked off the scg '"macgill for the test team!".

He was only being cheeky though because he knows full well that macgillas fingers and knee are permanently stuffed. Otherwise macgill would have gone on into his 40,s playing tests, just like grimmett. That was his intention.

Stuey really showed up smith and hauritz. He was bowling on a completely different level. Control he built up from countless thousands of overs practise in his youth. It all came back from his very first ball.

Yeah the thought everybody who saw macgill bowl last night was expressed by brett lee as he walked off the scg '"macgill for the test team!".

He was only being cheeky though because he knows full well that macgillas fingers and knee are permanently stuffed. Otherwise macgill would have gone on into his 40,s playing tests, just like grimmett. That was his intention.

Stuey really showed up smith and hauritz. He was bowling on a completely different level. Control he built up from countless thousands of overs practise in his youth. It all came back from his very first ball.

Must have been a magic moment.

My son had 3 overs today. I maiden 0/6. Cumulative thats 33 overs 7/70 with 5 maidens.

jimmys team had a big win today. One of our batsman scored his first century. 100 not out off the last ball. You dont see too many of those in this comp.

My son had his go at opening the batting today and got hit right on the end of his third finger used for bowling. I could see him hurting from it all day and it came up in a bad bruise. Just like someone whacked him with a hammer.

Didn't stop him from taking a good catch and he ended up having to bowl 3 overs to speed up the over rate. To complete the win they had to finish their overs in a certain time and this ump today doesn't like overtime.

My son gets used because he gets through his overs quickly and can speed up his routine even faster. He bowled nice and tight but his finger was giving him trouble. It wasn't when he gripped it but he showed me at drinks how as you spin it the seam rubs right on the inside pad where he was bruised. It was light pink to start with but after an hour it went dark purple.

So i wasn't expecting him to bowl, especially after the coach praised him for his catch with a sore finger but he was asked if he was ok to bowl and got away with it in the end.

Great days cricket. I was standing right next to the dad of the boy who scored his first ton. First ton by anyone in the comp this year.

My son had 3 overs today. I maiden 0/6. Cumulative thats 33 overs 7/70 with 5 maidens.

jimmys team had a big win today. One of our batsman scored his first century. 100 not out off the last ball. You dont see too many of those in this comp.

My son had his go at opening the batting today and got hit right on the end of his third finger used for bowling. I could see him hurting from it all day and it came up in a bad bruise. Just like someone whacked him with a hammer.

Didn't stop him from taking a good catch and he ended up having to bowl 3 overs to speed up the over rate. To complete the win they had to finish their overs in a certain time and this ump today doesn't like overtime.

My son gets used because he gets through his overs quickly and can speed up his routine even faster. He bowled nice and tight but his finger was giving him trouble. It wasn't when he gripped it but he showed me at drinks how as you spin it the seam rubs right on the inside pad where he was bruised. It was light pink to start with but after an hour it went dark purple.

So i wasn't expecting him to bowl, especially after the coach praised him for his catch with a sore finger but he was asked if he was ok to bowl and got away with it in the end.

Great days cricket. I was standing right next to the dad of the boy who scored his first ton. First ton by anyone in the comp this year.

The format your son plays in completely different to ours and that ton could never happen over here. The lads here have to retire at 25 and only get the chance to come back on again at the end. How many overs do they play in your competitions its got to be a fair few if the kid got his ton?

The format your son plays in completely different to ours and that ton could never happen over here. The lads here have to retire at 25 and only get the chance to come back on again at the end. How many overs do they play in your competitions its got to be a fair few if the kid got his ton?

Its 30/30 overs.
You only get 1 or 2 centuries every season. Up till u/12 they have to retire at 50.

Its fair to say warne was nowhere as good as macgall in their first big bash games. And that used to be the case a lot when they played at the top level, even in the same team. Macgill would often "outbowl" warne. I know warnes hand was injured but macgill has permanent hand damage.

Macgill was gracious enough yesterday to ask parents "to bring their kids along to see the greatest spinner of all time, shane warne bowl in sydney on the 27th" It also gives magilla a chance to outdo warnie one more time.

Its fair to say warne was nowhere as good as macgall in their first big bash games. And that used to be the case a lot when they played at the top level, even in the same team. Macgill would often "outbowl" warne. I know warnes hand was injured but macgill has permanent hand damage.

Macgill was gracious enough yesterday to ask parents "to bring their kids along to see the greatest spinner of all time, shane warne bowl in sydney on the 27th" It also gives magilla a chance to outdo warnie one more time.

Macca, you're going to have to (1) Either tone this down as we're all dying of jealousy here outside of Australia. Or (2) Post up some videos somehow!!!!!:)

Just emailed the bloke on youtube Robelinda or someone. He seems to have shed loads of videos, so I'm assuming he's got the kit to record it and I've asked him if he can do anything for us.

The difference between Macgill and Smith bowling action was like light & day. The way Macgill grooves the ball's flight path before it gets released out of the hand while having a round arm was the biggest difference. Steven Smiths arm is too high and might even have been past the perpendicular making the ball dart in, his body was kind of getting stuck and it was all arm.

Back