Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Where you going to be - you going to be down south at all?
Haha yeah I remember hearing about the drought earlier in the year!! Watching wimbledon and the one dayers in London you wouldnt know its been such a bad summer.
I'll be up in the Yorkshire Dales, eee by gum! I'll possibly be down in London on a course for a while though.
Hey if I was captain I'd happily take 7 an over off you in return for 2 top order scalps.Well done. That young fella gets a bit of turn too.

The weather here in the UK at the moment is still terrible and its exactly halfway through the season right now, my club has been fairly lucky in terms of games not being abandoned as we have played 8 of our 10 league games though they have all been on soaking wet pitches and we have had rain during some part of every match so its not been that great, though our sunday team have only played 3 times due to the weather.

On the whole its been a good season with the ball for me so far despite the conditions after lots of missed chances in the early weeks, 57.5 overs, 5 maidens, 252 runs for 15 wickets: average 16.8, strike rate 23, rpo 4.36

been a little expensive, Saturday wasn't too great took 2-48 off 5, last over went for 20 but got the main run scorer out in the over, amazingly the whole teams batting we played against slogged everything across the line and were connecting with everything against spin and seam, haven't seen a side that lucky there were next to no mishits and the ones that did fell in gaps combined with our small ground there were a lot of sixes probably a freak performance if they bat like that most weeks the whole team wouldn't make much more than 50.

The weather here in the UK at the moment is still terrible and its exactly halfway through the season right now, my club has been fairly lucky in terms of games not being abandoned as we have played 8 of our 10 league games though they have all been on soaking wet pitches and we have had rain during some part of every match so its not been that great, though our sunday team have only played 3 times due to the weather.

On the whole its been a good season with the ball for me so far despite the conditions after lots of missed chances in the early weeks, 57.5 overs, 5 maidens, 252 runs for 15 wickets: average 16.8, strike rate 23, rpo 4.36

been a little expensive, Saturday wasn't too great took 2-48 off 5, last over went for 20 but got the main run scorer out in the over, amazingly the whole teams batting we played against slogged everything across the line and were connecting with everything against spin and seam, haven't seen a side that lucky there were next to no mishits and the ones that did fell in gaps combined with our small ground there were a lot of sixes probably a freak performance if they bat like that most weeks the whole team wouldn't make much more than 50.

Strewth, you'd have to be happy with that strike rate given the slow(?) pitches lately. You sound like you feel you have gone for a few too many runs but bloody hell, you still know how to get people out.

Still remember watching the clip of your bowling ages ago and thinking you would be not easy to bat against.

yeah the pitches have been a bit slow had to bowl a bit flatter and faster and aim for the stumps a bit more with a few more googlies. May have to try and get a new video of my action if we get a few dry days slightly more round arm and fair bit quicker than i was.

Main problem is 2 or 3 of the first 4 balls i bowl at the start of a spell tend to be rank long hops so the first over normally costs 10 or more; any tips Macca on how to try and rectify this?

Ok so up front this isnt a leg spin video, but its not every day you can claim to be a better batsman than an ex England
captain. Huh!!! Whats he on about??
Well I came across this video completely by chance the other day about Goldsborough CC in Yorkshire who were bowled out by
Dishforth for 5 runs in 2006. If you watch the video you will see the story of the rematch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrQ503iR_4

Anyway the previous season we played Dishforth twice and I managed to score more than said English Captain against the same
bowling attack in both matches.
And heres the proof!!! In next post.

http://www.nidderdaleleague.co.uk/scorecards/799/Dishforth_v_Newton_le_Willows.htm
http://www.nidderdaleleague.co.uk/scorecards/1566/Newton_le_Willows_v_Dishforth.htm

The guy bowling at 3:21 was their opening bowler and in the first game he parked his sports car beside their pavillion. He
was bowling to me and I tried a lofted drive back over his head but somehow it ended up going for six near square leg and
landed on the roof of his sports car!!
To top things off we won a cup compettion on that beautiful little ground the same year.

http://www.nidderdaleleague.co.uk/scorecards/799/Dishforth_v_Newton_le_Willows.htm
http://www.nidderdaleleague.co.uk/scorecards/1566/Newton_le_Willows_v_Dishforth.htm

The guy bowling at 3:21 was their opening bowler and in the first game he parked his sports car beside their pavillion. He
was bowling to me and I tried a lofted drive back over his head but somehow it ended up going for six near square leg and
landed on the roof of his sports car!!
To top things off we won a cup compettion on that beautiful little ground the same year.

You're Ben Fudali then yeah?

yeah the pitches have been a bit slow had to bowl a bit flatter and faster and aim for the stumps a bit more with a few more googlies. May have to try and get a new video of my action if we get a few dry days slightly more round arm and fair bit quicker than i was.

Main problem is 2 or 3 of the first 4 balls i bowl at the start of a spell tend to be rank long hops so the first over normally costs 10 or more; any tips Macca on how to try and rectify this?

It sounds more like a mental thing stopping you from getting your range right first up. Usually it comes from trying too hard thinking too much and letting go of the ball a bit too late = long hop.

Maybe a bit counter to everything we talk about around here, but the leggie we have in the team (other than myself) has had similar problems. I tell him this:
You aren't going to stop bowling after the first over. You will have a shot of 4-5 overs at the very least to get wickets, so don't try to bowl the Gatting ball first up. Fingers also need time getting the feel of the ball, so first over, don't try to impart maximum revs as we usually do. It is ok even to bowl a couple of leg rollers, and then start with increasing the tightness of your grip and thereby revs. You might not have the surprise element of your first over, but surprise is overrated anyway.

Maybe a bit counter to everything we talk about around here, but the leggie we have in the team (other than myself) has had similar problems. I tell him this:
You aren't going to stop bowling after the first over. You will have a shot of 4-5 overs at the very least to get wickets, so don't try to bowl the Gatting ball first up. Fingers also need time getting the feel of the ball, so first over, don't try to impart maximum revs as we usually do. It is ok even to bowl a couple of leg rollers, and then start with increasing the tightness of your grip and thereby revs. You might not have the surprise element of your first over, but surprise is overrated anyway.

I totally agree with that approach. Especially with a recurring long hop problem in your first over.

I suppose it depends on the mindset of the bowler. I know my son goes for max revs from the outset but he has the attitude to get away with it.

I totally agree with that approach. Especially with a recurring long hop problem in your first over.

I suppose it depends on the mindset of the bowler. I know my son goes for max revs from the outset but he has the attitude to get away with it.

My first over, at least the first 3-4 bowls will be mostly faster ones. They will be fast enough for batsman to just push them around and for me to get warmed up. While this has worked out with 60-70% success, most of the times I have failed is when I have bowled with the wind behind me or on instances I am not feeling comfortable with my bowling action (which I am sure happens to all of us once in a while).

I had a good day today 40-0-7-1. It doesn't sound good, but I was one of the openers, most of the damage was done by a leftie which I hate bowling at, but not only was he a leftie, but he was the teams oversees player, which usually mean they're a bit handy this bloke Colin Sher was initially all over me until I sussed that if I bowled leg-side he was hitting it straight to one of our fielders 'Mike' and this restricted him to a single much of the time and that allowed me to bowl at the other bloke and he was struggling against me. How well I bowled was reflected in the fact that I was give seven overs which is unheard of, so take the LH South African out of the equation and I bowled well which I was pleased about. I was quite pleased that I noticed the tactic as well which negated his run-fest!

Nice one Dave, 7 overs! Youll have to take plenty of confidence out of that
So much so Chippy I'm working with the Top-Spinner and the Flipper at the moment with a view to bringing them out in a match - something I've not done with confidence since the Googly Syndrome days a few years back now.

hopefully there is a big year on the horizon for you then Dave!

I've had a difficult season with my younger son and his accident situation, I'm nowhere near as fit as I usually am and I generally feel weaker in the arms in comparison to previous years, I just need to be able to bowl a few more years - just so that I can play proper cricket with my two sons - I'll be happy with that. I've got a game this weekend and on a regular basis now I've got two teams after my services - Sat 4th XI and the Sunday A XI, I think this week the 3rd XI want me to play for them!

I'm a bit disillusioned at the moment, feeling that this may be my last season bowling - very inconsistent and problems with my upper arm (Deltoid), it may be the fact that I haven't bowled as much this season and haven't been as active as I would normally have been because of my sons accident, but it seems as though every time I bowl now I put a lot of pressue on the deltoid and come away with it feeling sore. I leave it a couple of days and it seems okay and I may get a good spell out of it, but if I tried and increase my arm speed and whip the arm over, get pain and soreness later on. I'll have to have a look at exercises specific to the deltoid and see if that helps and see how the start to the season is next year, but I've got a sneaky suspicion that it may be age creeping up on me?

I've been working with my Top-Spinner because in comparison to the leg break it's a lot more accurate and seems to be less stressful on my arm. In part this is a response to the discomfort I'm suffering, but also because I watched a girl bowl in a 3rd XI match I played in and all she did was bowl straight on a good length and line and she came away with ludicrously good figures something like 12-6-22-1 against our top and middle order batsmen. I bowled badly with my leg breaks, in part due to the sore shoulder, but I'm so inconsistent and I need to do something different and the Top-Spinner seems to be a possible solution. With some work I reckon I can get that very accurate line and length and have my leg break as a variation?

Back