Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Things have changeda quite a bit since last season. I'm playing slightly higher division in the 50 over format, but also captaining our T20 team. I quite matured since last season, I'm able to use my angle, turn, flight and set fields based on my strength and weakness that I couldn't last year.

However there is an issue, I'm flighting the ball way too much, how do you guys bowl quicker leg break(not flipper/slider/backspinner). I would like ot bowl few deliveries flatter. I'm finding hard to do that.

Things have changeda quite a bit since last season. I'm playing slightly higher division in the 50 over format, but also captaining our T20 team. I quite matured since last season, I'm able to use my angle, turn, flight and set fields based on my strength and weakness that I couldn't last year.

However there is an issue, I'm flighting the ball way too much, how do you guys bowl quicker leg break(not flipper/slider/backspinner). I would like ot bowl few deliveries flatter. I'm finding hard to do that.
see the advice from share warne in this video

I've not watched the video, but the secret to a good faster delivery is to ensure that you're also spinning it hard - possibly harder because of the speed. If the amount of spin you put on the ball is consistent, and you simply bowl the ball faster you might find that you spin it less as a by product of putting more effort into the speed aspect, I certainly do, whether that's because I lose my shape in my action I'm uncertain. Usually at club level the faster ball spins less and is flatter. If you spin it harder and get it going through the air a little faster, the additional spin will make the ball suddenly dip and fall out of the sky. Just look at Warne's speed - he bowled in excess of 50mph most of the time and the balls above head height for most of its trajectory, but then it dips viciously towards the end of the delivery. You try it - try and bowl 55mph with the ball at above head height when it's about 2/3rd of the way down, the chances are if you don't spin it hard at that speed it'll hit the batsmen in the chest! Hard spin combined with a bit more speed is the answer, but it's not that easy.

Now I've watched the video - I think if you go more round armed you may have a tendency to spin the ball marginally harder, I get far more dip with round arm and because of the increased dip - I have to get it up there a bit faster.

I've not watched the video, but the secret to a good faster delivery is to ensure that you're also spinning it hard - possibly harder because of the speed. If the amount of spin you put on the ball is consistent, and you simply bowl the ball faster you might find that you spin it less as a by product of putting more effort into the speed aspect, I certainly do, whether that's because I lose my shape in my action I'm uncertain. Usually at club level the faster ball spins less and is flatter. If you spin it harder and get it going through the air a little faster, the additional spin will make the ball suddenly dip and fall out of the sky. Just look at Warne's speed - he bowled in excess of 50mph most of the time and the balls above head height for most of its trajectory, but then it dips viciously towards the end of the delivery. You try it - try and bowl 55mph with the ball at above head height when it's about 2/3rd of the way down, the chances are if you don't spin it hard at that speed it'll hit the batsmen in the chest! Hard spin combined with a bit more speed is the answer, but it's not that easy.

Now I've watched the video - I think if you go more round armed you may have a tendency to spin the ball marginally harder, I get far more dip with round arm and because of the increased dip - I have to get it up there a bit faster.

I didn't get to respond for some time. I did read it though. So I realized by releasing the ball later, I was bowling quicker and the ball was skidding and going much faster. I also subconciously stopped imparting side spin and therefore I have a quicker delivery now. This is something I discovered in the last 2 weeks or so. I did attempt Shane Warne's slider in the past, but it ended being up a quicker leg break. It was quicker but not quick enough to trouble the batsmen therefore i'm using it as my inaccurate quicker leg break for now. It is stil all over the place and 70% of the time it is short. But it compliments my bowling because now the batter are taking extra few mili seconds watching the ball before coming down the pitch in nets.

I may have discovered why Warne and Murali troubled soo many batsmen. This happened yesterday. I got into a well ryhtm and I was applying lots of revs and I accidentally delivered a leg break that had immense dip and pace on it. BUTTTT when I asked the batsmen about the dip(I always annoy my batters asking questions such as "did you pick it ? " "Did that drift ?"). He said that ball did not dip at all and it just had side spin on it. He admitted that the previous deliveries had dip but he was adament that the fluke delivery that I delivered with the biggest dip of my life had zero dip. The previous deliveries did also have dip, but it was slower and did not dip that much.

I attempted that delivery again but couldn't repeat it. 20 minutes later fluk-ishly(?) I delivered the same delivery to another batsmen who is a very good and a knowledged spinner. GUESS WHAT ? HE WAS ALSO ADAMENT THAT THE BALL DID NOT DIP. He said it was much shorter and bounced higher and said something along the line of "it landed shorter". EUREKAA !!!! this is when I realized that when you make the ball dip at a very good pace the batsmen just CANNOT SEE IT. :O

What do you think ? Does this make sense to you at all ? Just curious. I wish I can repeat this.

I didn't get to respond for some time. I did read it though. So I realized by releasing the ball later, I was bowling quicker and the ball was skidding and going much faster. I also subconciously stopped imparting side spin and therefore I have a quicker delivery now. This is something I discovered in the last 2 weeks or so. I did attempt Shane Warne's slider in the past, but it ended being up a quicker leg break. It was quicker but not quick enough to trouble the batsmen therefore i'm using it as my inaccurate quicker leg break for now. It is stil all over the place and 70% of the time it is short. But it compliments my bowling because now the batter are taking extra few mili seconds watching the ball before coming down the pitch in nets.

I may have discovered why Warne and Murali troubled soo many batsmen. This happened yesterday. I got into a well ryhtm and I was applying lots of revs and I accidentally delivered a leg break that had immense dip and pace on it. BUTTTT when I asked the batsmen about the dip(I always annoy my batters asking questions such as "did you pick it ? " "Did that drift ?"). He said that ball did not dip at all and it just had side spin on it. He admitted that the previous deliveries had dip but he was adament that the fluke delivery that I delivered with the biggest dip of my life had zero dip. The previous deliveries did also have dip, but it was slower and did not dip that much.

I attempted that delivery again but couldn't repeat it. 20 minutes later fluk-ishly(?) I delivered the same delivery to another batsmen who is a very good and a knowledged spinner. GUESS WHAT ? HE WAS ALSO ADAMENT THAT THE BALL DID NOT DIP. He said it was much shorter and bounced higher and said something along the line of "it landed shorter". EUREKAA !!!! this is when I realized that when you make the ball dip at a very good pace the batsmen just CANNOT SEE IT. :O

What do you think ? Does this make sense to you at all ? Just curious. I wish I can repeat this.
Similarly, sorry about the late response. Happy New year! The ball you describe as dropping shorter and bouncing higher sounds like the approach that you need to be pursuing and perhaps as you've inferred, if they batting properly, they're not looking to give you good feed-back, they're just trying to play the ball. There's a fairly simple drill you can do to test this if you've got a bucket of balls and some poles, rope and fabric... String a piece of fabric across the wicket at the height you consider suitably high (above the eye-line). Set the 'Barrier' at a distance from the stumps where you feel it's going to require dip to land on a good length and then practice and see if you can establish what it is you need to do to get the ball over the 'Barrier' and dropping short of it's expected 'Normal' trajectory. There's a multitude of variables that you need to explore, the first being to spin it hard, but that begs the question what do you need to do to spin it hard... Is it the release, the work done with the fingers or wrist, or is it getting side-on and rotating correctly? Bowling more round arm, getting up on the toes, pulling the leading arm down and past the hip - all these things affect the amount of spin you'll put on the ball. It's so much work, practice and perseverance!

Had a game yesterday (first game of the season). A friendly 30 over-a-side game. I bowled 6 overs and went for about 30. No wickets but I did have a couple that should have been caught in the slips.

At some point last season I started trying to bowl of a slightly longer and much quicker run up (after watching Rashid Khan's almost medium pacer's style run up). Although I'm still trying to bowl legspin but at about 10mph quicker (so more around the 65mph pace), I found that quite often the ball was coming out more akin to leg cutter style bowling. I suspect it is probably somewhere between legspin and legcutter (if such a thing exists!) because I still get a decent amount of movement away and occasionally a bit of in dip. It's probably something similar to the NZ bowler of the 90's Chris Harris. Whatever it is, it is very effective. Especially because you have the ability to release the ball a little slower but with more spin, as a change-up delivery.

It's an effective bowling style against lesser bats. Sometimes it gets a bit tiring to bowl legspin to Sunday sloggers who fall over to dibbly-dobbly 60mph plodders who simply bowl at the stumps. Even offspin is more rewarding. I've lost count of how many times I've had sub-standard bats play and miss against me.

glad some cricket is being played. I'm really missing it. In my last games before I moved I felt I was getting somewhere. Wondering where I would be if I'd been practicing continually.

Fellow wrist spinners: Every time you bowl, do you try and rip it at 100%? Or do you rip it at like 90% so you can achieve consistent accuracy and decent turn?

Fellow wrist spinners: Every time you bowl, do you try and rip it at 100%? Or do you rip it at like 90% so you can achieve consistent accuracy and decent turn?

Every ball I bowl, in practice and in games, I'm trying to rev as hard as possible but in a controlled and rhythmical manner. In my opinion, a leg spinners natural action is geared towards obtaining big revs. I'm sure everyone knows the feeling of bowling a couple of iffy overs, then finding rhythm in the second or third over and getting the ball to do what you want it to do at the other end.

Every ball I bowl, in practice and in games, I'm trying to rev as hard as possible but in a controlled and rhythmical manner. In my opinion, a leg spinners natural action is geared towards obtaining big revs. I'm sure everyone knows the feeling of bowling a couple of iffy overs, then finding rhythm in the second or third over and getting the ball to do what you want it to do at the other end.

Ahh, nice. That's what I try to do too. Lately the accuracy has really been coming along with the revs especially with a braced front leg which stops any disastrous short balls.

Had my first match in four years today, got my first five wicket haul. 28/5 from six overs.

Not bad! Why so long in between drinks?

Ahh, nice. That's what I try to do too. Lately the accuracy has really been coming along with the revs especially with a braced front leg which stops any disastrous short balls.

Not bad! Why so long in between drinks?

Just busy with life stuff especially at weekends and I lost a bit of confidence in my bowling, but I feel the time is right to try again.

I played two more matches since the last one.

First one bowling into a very strong headwind, didn't do much but had two dropped catches in the first over. Figures were 4 overs, 28 runs, no wickets.

Today was better, 3 overs, 13 runs, 3 wickets mopping up the tail one catch from the wicket keeper and two dollied catches to cover.

For the season:-

13 overs
0 maidens
68 runs
8 wickets

3 overs 29 runs 1 wicket today. I got the wicket in the first over, a great catch at deep mid on and all was going well. For some reason I lost a bit of confidence and technique, got twatted in my third over and taken off.

Back