Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I haven't been picked this week. There's a ringer in the team and a couple of first teamers who don't usually play, so I guess the oppo are quite strong. Not sure if I've been dropped or not. So that's my season over. I was used sparingly, but enjoyed it in the main.

Overs 26.2
Maidens 0
Runs 160
Wickets 13
I've been picked for the 4th XI, but it looks a lot like the 5thXI though with the addition of a new young Indian bloke who looks to be a pretty good all-rounder. The team needs him, because if the opposition put out a similar team as the last one - with two really strong players, it'll be pretty one-sided. The new bloke is about 26-28 and this'll be his first game for us as far as I'm aware, he's only been seen in the nets. Bowling against him last night I had him by my 14th ball and he'd scored around 14 off me, thankfully their team doesn't have a wrist-spinner. I was successful against another batsman - again within about 14 or 15 balls and again going for a about a run-a- ball. The captain tomorrow is an old geezer (70) not sure if he'll buy into my radical field. Your figures are pretty good, I'd be more than happy with those, I was going at 2 a game, but that's probably bowling on average 5 overs a game. Unfortunately, the bloke that usually uploads the data to the play cricket website doesn't bother with the Friendly games the 5th XI play, so I can't get 100% of my figures for this season. I'll have a look and see what they are.

I've been picked for the 4th XI, but it looks a lot like the 5thXI though with the addition of a new young Indian bloke who looks to be a pretty good all-rounder. The team needs him, because if the opposition put out a similar team as the last one - with two really strong players, it'll be pretty one-sided. The new bloke is about 26-28 and this'll be his first game for us as far as I'm aware, he's only been seen in the nets. Bowling against him last night I had him by my 14th ball and he'd scored around 14 off me, thankfully their team doesn't have a wrist-spinner. I was successful against another batsman - again within about 14 or 15 balls and again going for a about a run-a- ball. The captain tomorrow is an old geezer (70) not sure if he'll buy into my radical field. Your figures are pretty good, I'd be more than happy with those, I was going at 2 a game, but that's probably bowling on average 5 overs a game. Unfortunately, the bloke that usually uploads the data to the play cricket website doesn't bother with the Friendly games the 5th XI play, so I can't get 100% of my figures for this season. I'll have a look and see what they are.
Good luck with your game Dave, hope you get to set some field settings you want and hatch a plan.

Yeah I'm happy with my figures, and looking forward to hammering the nets over winter.

Very nice, mate. Your club sounds a bit more extensive and competitive than mine. Mind you, we have some good players. There is a young batsman in the first team with an average of 85 for the season, he is an opener or a number 3 and has destroyed nearly everyone he has faced with a load of not outs for good measure. Everyone at the club is buzzing for him.

Cheers Mate, how's your pre-season going?

Yeah, definitely the most prepared I've ever been coming into a season. Gonna hit the nets at least 3 times a week for the next four weeks, which should leave me in good stead for the first game on october 12. I'm very interested to see what the team looks like once we've done trials.

Thanks for all the support lads!

I went down to watch today. Apparently it was a mix up/mistake that I didn't get picked, he thought I hadn't replied to the text when I had. Someone else was injured, so I went home and got my gear and ended up being sub fielder for us when we were fielding. We batted first, put on 193 and they came up about a dozen runs short after their overs so a win for us. As sub fielder I wasn't eligible to bowl, I was fine with that. My name will go on the honours board for this season :)

I went down to watch today. Apparently it was a mix up/mistake that I didn't get picked, he thought I hadn't replied to the text when I had. Someone else was injured, so I went home and got my gear and ended up being sub fielder for us when we were fielding. We batted first, put on 193 and they came up about a dozen runs short after their overs so a win for us. As sub fielder I wasn't eligible to bowl, I was fine with that. My name will go on the honours board for this season :)

Great job mate. Something to be proud of, shows how far you've come as a leggy!

The game friendly game last weekend was in a losing cause, but great game in lovely weather for the most part. The other team that was out playing at home (2nd XI) got rained off having been on and off the park at least three times. Meanwhile 45 miles away to the east we had fine weather till the last 2 overs which were played in torrential rain just to get the game finished. I was out there batting at 11, got a not out for a few runs it was good fun, but we were about 20 runs short. Two openers were both good and both retired on 50 - had to bowl at them and did try and implement my field but the captain wasn't that sure. Gave up on it after the first over - it kind of needs decent players... blokes in their 20's that are fully committed that can cover the ground at speed. It might be workable with another bloke on the boundary at my level, but I'd have to bowl really tight, it may have worked if I'd stuck at it, but we were already being taken to task by the opposition and I could see that the rest of the team weren't buying into it given the situation of the game. Interesting as I bowled with another wrist -spinner and he wasn't going for runs - choosing to bowl really loopy and slow, so I followed his lead and took 2 wickets. 8-1-43-2 given the way the batters were going for it and the poor start I was happy with that especially as I was the only one that took more than 1 wicket.

Leggy 88 your season must be starting soon?

Yeah, October 12 I believe is the first game.

I know how it feels to have a team that is skeptical on field settings etc - it happens when I go around the wicket and try and get it in the rough. Good work with the two wickets.
Its interesting how slow and loopy was effective - they mustn't have been the best batsman then, because usually that stuff gets smashed. I applaud you on the initiative in changing your bowling style after seeing what works though, that shows a good cricket brain.

Looks like you got a bit of dip there, good stuff. I'll post one of mine soon hopefully, just waiting for training to start back up.

I tried to post a longer video but there are file size limits here. I will try and make a couple more, including one of my flipper, but it's a ballache process!

That GIF is pretty representative of my stock ball, although it would usually be a little bit fuller and have more bounce. The camera is between middle and off. I think there is a bit of drift, from where the ball is released from my hand to where it pitches there is some movement I think.

Back