Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I tried to post a longer video but there are file size limits here. I will try and make a couple more, including one of my flipper, but it's a ballache process!

That GIF is pretty representative of my stock ball, although it would usually be a little bit fuller and have more bounce. The camera is between middle and off. I think there is a bit of drift, from where the ball is released from my hand to where it pitches there is some movement I think.

Yeah, definitely a bit of drift. Pretty roundarm too, that could help. Yeah, I noticed the ball seemed to stay pretty low there - maybe a lot of sidespin?

I've got a few older-ish videos of me bowling, gonna upload in a bit. I was bowling pretty bad that day, from a few months ago I think. Then I guess after uploading this one when I film a new one and upload it I can see how I've improved.

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely a bit of drift. Pretty roundarm too, that could help. Yeah, I noticed the ball seemed to stay pretty low there - maybe a lot of sidespin?

I've got a few older-ish videos of me bowling, gonna upload in a bit. I was bowling pretty bad that day, from a few months ago I think. Then I guess after uploading this one when I film a new one and upload it I can see how I've improved.

When I watch myself on video I'm surprised how round arm I am, it feels a lot higher to me. Yeah that delivery was a flatter and quicker one, with about a 45 degree angle on the seam pointing towards slip. Not sure what happened with the bounce, think it was just a bit short and maybe a crappy cricket ball as I have a whole bunch of them in varying condition. I'll upload a couple more tonight including a flipper.

I look forward to seeing your bowling, mate. I think my bowling looks different to how it used to, hopefully more fluent and rhythmical after practice.

I really like that flipper, real nice. Seemed to have a bit of trouble transferring videos from phone to laptop yesterday, I'll try again today.
I'm actually the opposite as I feel pretty roundarm but am pretty high arm actually.

View attachment Trimmed.mp4

This one was just from a standing start - probably the only good ball of the day to be honest, it was just one of those days where the technique feels rushed and slippery and you end up dragging the ball down heaps, as seen in the next video below. These nets are really not conducive to spin - turf would have honestly made that ball spin 2x the amount, possibly more.

View attachment IMG_2338_Trim.mp4

Now this ball felt horrible, felt like I almost fell over and bowled the ball. Usually I have a touch more loop, maybe take a couple kmh off that delivery, bit more accurate and much more revs on the ball. Guess the good thing about this questionable bowling is I can compare it to when I take some new videos in a week or two (with luck) and feel good (hopefully haha).

These videos were taken in May, so I should have improved a fair bit since then as this has been my most consistent and hardworking offseason yet. Will be interesting to compare.

How do you upload videos as those gifs btw, Darth Spin?

Last edited:
Nice pace! Yours are much quicker through the air than mine.

I use this site to upload the GIFs, once the video is uploaded you can use the sliders to choose the start and end points.

The maximum file size is 100mb, so to chop the video files up I've been using the free version of Bandicut which is excellent.

View attachment 1570

Now this ball felt horrible, felt like I almost fell over and bowled the ball. Usually I have a touch more loop, maybe take a couple kmh off that delivery, bit more accurate and much more revs on the ball. Guess the good thing about this questionable bowling is I can compare it to when I take some new videos in a week or two (with luck) and feel good (hopefully haha).

These videos were taken in May, so I should have improved a fair bit since then as this has been my most consistent and hardworking offseason yet. Will be interesting to compare.

How do you upload videos as those gifs btw, Darth Spin?
Looks fast. You also jump off the wrong foot like Tich Freeman have you ever considered working on that and trying to bowl with a more orthodox bound? I used to do the same, but my younger son when he was about 7 taught me how to do it the conventional way and it made a big difference to my bowling.

Yeah, October 12 I believe is the first game.

I know how it feels to have a team that is skeptical on field settings etc - it happens when I go around the wicket and try and get it in the rough. Good work with the two wickets.
Its interesting how slow and loopy was effective - they mustn't have been the best batsman then, because usually that stuff gets smashed. I applaud you on the initiative in changing your bowling style after seeing what works though, that shows a good cricket brain.
Yeah we have a bloke who bowls SLA orthodox and I mean slow - makes Majid Huq look like Dale Steyn. Because he bowl finger spin he's able to land it on a consistent good length and he bowls it to everyone of all abilities and some days he gets hit around the park and only gets to bowl 2 or 3 overs, but other days he gets cheap wickets. There's definitely room for tossing it up and letting them make the mistake - so many of them do.

Looks fast. You also jump off the wrong foot like Tich Freeman have you ever considered working on that and trying to bowl with a more orthodox bound? I used to do the same, but my younger son when he was about 7 taught me how to do it the conventional way and it made a big difference to my bowling.

Actually, hard to see from that distance, but if you look really closely you can see that I am jumping slightly off my left foot to land on my right in the delivery stride. It's just deceptive, as I don't really jump that high - my left foot would only get a few inches off the ground. Maybe jumping higher and more explosively off this left foot would allow me to be more stable and powerful at the crease? Gonna try jumping a bit higher off it with a hurdle drill or something, see if that helps.

I actually used to jump off the wrong foot, but fixed it over around 2 weeks a few years ago. I think my body might have been subconsciously going back to that slightly in that I don't jump too high in the bound?

Interesting stuff, a lot to think about.

Actually, I think the lack of height or explosiveness off my left foot jump - like I'm almost skimming the ground - is what might be causing me to feel like I'm unstable and rushed during the action. Definitely gonna try a few drills and work on my single leg jumping. Hopefully this means I gain a bit of accuracy as well as revs.

Some of the coaches recommend jumping higher and using a little obstacle to jump over, not to get upward momentum but for forward momentum leading into the delivery stride. I think of it like "climbing" into the delivery.

Some of the coaches recommend jumping higher and using a little obstacle to jump over, not to get upward momentum but for forward momentum leading into the delivery stride. I think of it like "climbing" into the delivery.

Yep, definitely something to try.

Leggy88 Leggy88 I went through the process by doing it in a very exaggerated way and slowly till I got it. It's just something to consider, there are loads of pros that jump off the wrong foot and it seems to be something I notice in fast bowler a lot more than spinners. Might be something to work on at the end of this season? Do you have coaches at your club and have they ever mentioned it? On the other hand these days I'm far more inclined to go with the mantra 'If it works don't try and fix it'.

Last edited:
Leggy88 Leggy88 I went through the process by doing it in a very exaggerated way and slowly till I got it. It's just something to consider, there are loads of pros that jump off the wrong foot and it seems to be something I notice in fast bowler a lot more than spinners. Might be something to work on at the end of this season? Do you have coaches at your club and have they ever mentioned it? On the other hand these days I'm far more inclined to go with the mantra 'If it works don't try and fix it'.

Yeah, coaches have mentioned it before. I do believe it would further my bowling though, so I'm gonna try improving it soon.

Anyone watch the full version of England v Pakistan T20 final? Absolutely perfectly executed Orthodox back-spinner bowled by Adil Rashid - superb and I think he got a wicket with it - I was more impressed by the delivery as opposed to the outcome. With High speed cameras these days we're getting to see what the spinner does now do in detail and in slow mo. Thing was the pundits didn't even say anything about it - obvious really, as they don't know what they're looking at when they watch wrist spinners. I'd have recorded it, but SKY somehow encrypt the footage and I've got nothing that can capture it. Stunning delivery!

Anyone watch the full version of England v Pakistan T20 final? Absolutely perfectly executed Orthodox back-spinner bowled by Adil Rashid - superb and I think he got a wicket with it - I was more impressed by the delivery as opposed to the outcome. With High speed cameras these days we're getting to see what the spinner does now do in detail and in slow mo. Thing was the pundits didn't even say anything about it - obvious really, as they don't know what they're looking at when they watch wrist spinners. I'd have recorded it, but SKY somehow encrypt the footage and I've got nothing that can capture it. Stunning delivery!

No, wish I could have seen it though. I'll try and find it. Should be easy as he got a wicket.

Back