Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

I also have an off spin variation where it comes out the front of the hand, cross seam.

It’s not the best disguised variation because my hand clearly does down the back of it, but my main goal is to get as much back spin on it as possible. It tends to really float towards the batsmen, making them often too early on the ball or go back to it when it lands on a full length.

My stock ball tends to dip, accelerate of the pitch and bounce a fair bit so it seems like a really off putting variation for the batsmen. Very rhythm breaking.

Also my carrom ball is coming out really nice, seems to be snapping out the front of my hand more with good pace as opposed to just coming out like a stock leg break and being a bit floaty.

Do you bowl the carrom ball with a leg spin action or with the one that Ashwin uses, where he uses his fingers and stuff?

Do you bowl the carrom ball with a leg spin action or with the one that Ashwin uses, where he uses his fingers and stuff?

I kind of bowl it like a leggy, except off of my middle finger instead of my ring finger.

I also lock my wrist a bit when I do it to make it less obvious. Does reduce the revs but I only need it to go the other way slightly, even then I still get plenty of turn and a bunch of drift on it.

So probably a bit like Ashwin’s except I don’t have random fingers pointing up. I try keep it as close to my off break as possible.

I largely use my thumb and middle finger flicking outwards and rotating to their resting position to create revs and some pace on it. There is also some leg spin aspects of rolling my middle finger over it a bit.

On a seperate note, I’ve been a little annoyed with my club.

So our competition is on carpet until B grade, where it’s 50/50, and then A grade that entirely turf.

I played a couple of matches for B grade at the start of the season, all on carpet, and didn’t take a wicket. I had A LOT of catches dropped off my bowling.

I’ve since been dropped back to C grade, which is fine. I’ve been averaging 9.38 entirely on carpet for Cs. Including a 3-7 to wrap up the tail and a 3-22 including both openers and their No. 3.

I was told I’d be given the opportunity to bowl on turf in B grade, which they’re now playing on in the 2nd half of the season. But they have buy-in players, 2 of which bowl spin and yes they are likely better spinners than me (I know one of them is, the other one I’m closer to). But like, I was told I’d get to play on turf and now I can’t get into the side because they’re paying people in.

Even funnier is that apparently the captain was complaining that the team needs an off spinner.

That's unlucky mate. Do you mean that the players paid to get into B grade? Or is the club paying them? If so how does this happen?

That's unlucky mate. Do you mean that the players paid to get into B grade? Or is the club paying them? If so how does this happen?

The club is paying them.

They’re a bunch of Pakistani blokes that play in a T20 league further up near the city. I think they get payed a bit for playing each game and then get payed extra if they take a wicket or score a run.

The leggy might be out this week so I might get the chance to claw myself back in.

The club is paying them.

They’re a bunch of Pakistani blokes that play in a T20 league further up near the city. I think they get payed a bit for playing each game and then get payed extra if they take a wicket or score a run.

The leggy might be out this week so I might get the chance to claw myself back in.
Hey man, check your pvt msgs, I sent you one.

Yeah Ik that’s why it’s annoying, because I fill that spot and they’ve got people in for it.
Trust me man, some of the players that get contracts over regular players blows my mind. I have also noticed that most of the players that get paid don't even attend training regularly which irks me. Don't worry if they only play t20 then they wont have a good time adjusting to two dayers.

Trust me man, some of the players that get contracts over regular players blows my mind. I have also noticed that most of the players that get paid don't even attend training regularly which irks me. Don't worry if they only play t20 then they wont have a good time adjusting to two dayers.

We only play one day and they get selected for every match they’re available.

I've caught up on this thread over a beer and enjoyed seeing Doc and Leggy get some wickets.

I have had a total break from cricket since the season ended. Just to recap, I left my club at the end of last season for reasons explained earlier in the thread.

Well today I got a text from them asking me to come back. New first team captain and he said he wants me in the first XI and bowling regularly. Can't really pass up that kind of chance so I'm back in. Better start practicing...

I've caught up on this thread over a beer and enjoyed seeing Doc and Leggy get some wickets.

I have had a total break from cricket since the season ended. Just to recap, I left my club at the end of last season for reasons explained earlier in the thread.

Well today I got a text from them asking me to come back. New first team captain and he said he wants me in the first XI and bowling regularly. Can't really pass up that kind of chance so I'm back in. Better start practicing...
Nice man, welcome back. Doc & I will be playing a T20 together tomorrow, hopefully start off with a win even tho I’m going in bowler heavy due to batsmen shortage.

Stream for my match today if anyone is interested.

We’re batting first and I’m at 10 so not much action for me until 2nd innings.

Beautiful pitch, very hard, even surface. A couple light cracks before match started so hopefully I have a few scars to bowl into.

Stream for my match today if anyone is interested.

We’re batting first and I’m at 10 so not much action for me until 2nd innings.

Beautiful pitch, very hard, even surface. A couple light cracks before match started so hopefully I have a few scars to bowl into.

C Hanna?

Glad to hear mate, keep us posted.

Back