Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

This might be an obvious question but:

Am I supposed to actually push off the ground with my back foot?

At the moment I just kind of land on it and my leg only goes through from the momentum going into my bowling action. But I’ve been having issues with following through properly and I feel like I’m missing out a bit on some revs by not following through/pivoting properly.

This might be an obvious question but:

Am I supposed to actually push off the ground with my back foot?

At the moment I just kind of land on it and my leg only goes through from the momentum going into my bowling action. But I’ve been having issues with following through properly and I feel like I’m missing out a bit on some revs by not following through/pivoting properly.
Ive been trying to figure that out as well, Im very flat footed.

MacGill says to drive the knee forwards, I think if you focus on driving the knee forwards, the push might happen without even having to focus on it. There used to be a bloke on here years ago "Macca" from Manly, Sydney he would always say to try and kick your butt during FFC phase and avoid the swinging round the pivot foot - drive through with the knee and hips.

MacGill says to drive the knee forwards, I think if you focus on driving the knee forwards, the push might happen without even having to focus on it. There used to be a bloke on here years ago "Macca" from Manly, Sydney he would always say to try and kick your butt during FFC phase and avoid the swinging round the pivot foot - drive through with the knee and hips.
I can do the knee drive and you can see the difference between the amount spin but I always thought that was a fast bowler thing and a spinner should kick his leg around like warne and macgill in one of his videos he was saying imagine a bucket, kick your leg up and over the bucket (from a side on action). if there is no difference Im just going to go back to the knee drive I find it easier and I have noticeable difference in shape and spin.

1708410113135.png

Just thought it'd be interesting to have a look at my bowling averages home, away, first innings, second innings, in a loss, in a win, here they are...

None of them are very good, this season I have taken 10 wickets for like 314 runs. Largely because I haven't been bowling myself enough to get into a rhythm (can't afford to) because my accuracy lets me down.

View attachment 2672

Just thought it'd be interesting to have a look at my bowling averages home, away, first innings, second innings, in a loss, in a win, here they are...

None of them are very good, this season I have taken 10 wickets for like 314 runs. Largely because I haven't been bowling myself enough to get into a rhythm (can't afford to) because my accuracy lets me down.

Interesting that in the first innings I average 12 less than the second innings? Shouldn't it be the other way round.

Interesting that in the first innings I average 12 less than the second innings? Shouldn't it be the other way round.

Test match sure, but for club cricket probably not.

Batsmen tend to target spinners more when they’re chasing a target. And then just nurdle them around if they’re setting a score in the first innings imo.

Also no offence but given how small your sample size of wickets is that probably isn’t very significant.

Just tried getting my leg up and over when bowling at training today.

Felt good despite me bowling within myself because I’m recovering from my slight side niggle.

Definitely got nice overspin on the ball, one batsman that normally sweeps me well got out to one because he said it started in a sweepable slot and then drifted away from him and he tried to change his shot last second.

I also bowled some absolute peaches of leg spinners that started on/outside leg stumps and turned back past the outside edge and off stump.

Batsmen tend to target spinners more when they’re chasing a target. And then just nurdle them around if they’re setting a score in the first innings imo.

Also no offence but given how small your sample size of wickets is that probably isn’t very significant.

Yep, after one or two more seasons I should be able to see clearer patterns come through as I take more wickets.

Just tried getting my leg up and over when bowling at training today.

Felt good despite me bowling within myself because I’m recovering from my slight side niggle.

Definitely got nice overspin on the ball, one batsman that normally sweeps me well got out to one because he said it started in a sweepable slot and then drifted away from him and he tried to change his shot last second.

I also bowled some absolute peaches of leg spinners that started on/outside leg stumps and turned back past the outside edge and off stump.

Nice, I might try that too today. The umpire on my game last weekend said he could see I was getting some drift too, and there was no wind around, so I was pretty surprised when he said that. It's always so cool to hear and see that you are making the ball drift and dip, way better than turn.

Nice, I might try that too today. The umpire on my game last weekend said he could see I was getting some drift too, and there was no wind around, so I was pretty surprised when he said that. It's always so cool to hear and see that you are making the ball drift and dip, way better than turn.

Yeah, if you can beat a batsman in flight then you don’t rely on getting a turning pitch.

Turn is nice, but yeah I think the true sign of a genuine spinner is drift and dip.

Also really annoyingly is most people at my club have discovered they can play me easier if they charge me or just try hit me to the boundary.

Which is really fucken annoying, because I know how to bowl to batsmen that are slogging me already, I have enough experience with that.

What I struggle with is batsmen that are just rotating strike and keeping me out.

Also really annoyingly is most people at my club have discovered they can play me easier if they charge me or just try hit me to the boundary.

Which is really fucken annoying, because I know how to bowl to batsmen that are slogging me already, I have enough experience with that.

What I struggle with is batsmen that are just rotating strike and keeping me out.

Do you have any batsmen to bowl to that make you struggle and get you out of your comfort zone?

Also how can they play you easier if you know how to get out the sloggers? Shouldn't they be struggling then?

Do you have any batsmen to bowl to that make you struggle and get you out of your comfort zone?

Also how can they play you easier if you know how to get out the sloggers? Shouldn't they be struggling then?

There is 2 batsman that genuinely play me well.

1 is just a very good player of spin and arguably the best batsman in the club, uses his feet well when I get it on the right spot. But also punishes me well if I get my length wrong. I don’t know if I’ve ever gotten him out but I still enjoy bowling to him.

The other isn’t even a renowned good player of spin, but he just seems to pick up my bowling so easily. I also for some reason seem to always bowl awfully to him.

I don’t actually fully struggle against them, it just throws me off because I have no clue if I’m bowling well. I’ve gotten someone caught at mid off 3 balls in a row (that I still have to chase after) and then he proceeds to middle one and send me for 6.

It’s not that I struggle as much as I just find bowling to people slogging me really unenjoyable after a while.

The batsmen probably feel like it’s better because I can’t get the bowled through the gate, trapped in front or caught at slip or bat-pad when they’re slogging me. They don’t feel like they’ve been out bowled, because they’re probably not out because it’s hard to tell if they’ve hit it straight to the fielder.

Also I get thrown off my length (obviously) when I’m getting charged, so they’ll hit me for a couple of boundaries, I’ll get them out by changing my pace and maybe dragging my length back slightly. And then they’ll just hit me for a couple more boundaries.

If I can get them out and restrict them enough for them to not do that I would be playing in a higher league.

It’s just ************ when my bowling has clearly developed by people having absolutely no fear or respect when they train in the nets, so I struggle to get someone out when they aren’t batting like absolute morons.

Ahh yeah fair enough, that makes sense. I personally struggle against really good left handed batsmen that can pick my wrongun, otherwise I usually feel in the nets I am on top. Luckily I don't just have batsmen mindlessly slogging me, usually they try and play properly. However in game when I come across sloggers this proves a problem.

I can do the knee drive and you can see the difference between the amount spin but I always thought that was a fast bowler thing and a spinner should kick his leg around like warne and macgill in one of his videos he was saying imagine a bucket, kick your leg up and over the bucket (from a side on action). if there is no difference Im just going to go back to the knee drive I find it easier and I have noticeable difference in shape and spin.
There was a couple of people on here years ago that were coaches and more into bio-mechanics and they worked with me and my action and they were advocates of not trying to replicate Warne. I've read and seen a number of articles over the years saying the same, Warne was unique and there's little value in trying to replicate his bowling action. I think one of the factors with the swing around leg is apart from increased chance of injury it also affects accuracy. The knee drive - up over and through towards the batter as far as most are concerned is the way to go. I bowl better when I focus on it, but it's not an intrinsic part of my natural action - I've not done it long enough so that it becomes muscle memory, but my action generally is deficient in a number of ways.

Are your games broken up into 2 innings - I think I've seen this on the videos. Do you play 20 overs and then swap round and then finish the 20 overs?

Back