Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Hahaha, so I’m back from injury and into C grade again.

I just thought of something and had a look and some stats.

Out of my bowling average of 24.8 this season, I average 4 at our home ground’s east oval and 54 everywhere else

That 54 includes my 3-17 when I played for Chinaman from this thread.

Hahaha, so I’m back from injury and into C grade again.

I just thought of something and had a look and some stats.

Out of my bowling average of 24.8 this season, I average 4 at our home ground’s east oval and 54 everywhere else

That 54 includes my 3-17 when I played for Chinaman from this thread.

Wow, 4 is an insane average lol, luckily its at your home ground and not somewhere else

First of the pre-season nets last night. Very little of anything by way of getting ready for it, so a bit sore today, but it went well. Going to working on developing the Top-Spinner and a slower flipper that will be bowled with it intermittently. The top-spinner was coming out very well and causing all sorts of problems, the slow flippers going to need some work - very innacurate at the moment. Got till end of April to get it together.

First of the pre-season nets last night. Very little of anything by way of getting ready for it, so a bit sore today, but it went well. Going to working on developing the Top-Spinner and a slower flipper that will be bowled with it intermittently. The top-spinner was coming out very well and causing all sorts of problems, the slow flippers going to need some work - very innacurate at the moment. Got till end of April to get it together.
Nice, our season is ending. Kudos to you for still developing your bowling. I tried the flipper again in my last training session with doc8176 but very quickly put it away, requires a lot of patience and I still don’t think this will be effective against good batsmen.

I have just been checking out this forum and amazed I hadn’t clocked this existed earlier, so thought I would say hello. Been bowling right arm wrist spin in club league cricket in England for 20 odd years and am no world beater but got a good idea of what I’m doing. Also am pretty obsessive which seems to be par for the course for wrist spinners…

Have seen some of Dave’s blogs before and checked out the YouTube vids on the different types of flippers which I thought was intriguing, so hello, and thanks!

Can I get a fucken bat when I’m not chasing 70+ runs with the worst tailenders you’ve ever seen in your life. I was doing well to keep him off strike by hitting singles at the end of overs, but I don’t have the power to keep the strike rate up at the same time. Ended up edging one to the keeper poking at it outside off.

Bowled well, 0-21(8), dropped catch at slip and a very low caught and bowled chance.

Can I get a fucken bat when I’m not chasing 70+ runs with the worst tailenders you’ve ever seen in your life. I was doing well to keep him off strike by hitting singles at the end of overs, but I don’t have the power to keep the strike rate up at the same time. Ended up edging one to the keeper poking at it outside off.

Bowled well, 0-21(8), dropped catch at slip and a very low caught and bowled chance.
Well bowled, tough day at the office, sorry about the tailenders haha I know Im one of them

someblokecalleddave someblokecalleddave would love your comments on these mate.
So I spent a couple hours at work today training for the flipper.
Question 1, the flipper is just a back spinner snapped out of the fingers?
Question 2 if the flipper is snapped out of the front of the hand it will spin forward, is that just a top spinner bowled with snapping of the fingers?

I thought it naturally spins opposite to your stock ball but I think its just depends on the wrist. If balled out of the side of the hand it will spin stock-wise, back of the hand its a googly which is obvious.

When bowled out of the front its just a top spinning googly snapped out of the fingers.

Another couple of weeks and I might use it in a game, its slowly becoming demystified for me at least.

someblokecalleddave someblokecalleddave would love your comments on these mate.
So I spent a couple hours at work today training for the flipper.
Question 1, the flipper is just a back spinner snapped out of the fingers?
Question 2 if the flipper is snapped out of the front of the hand it will spin forward, is that just a top spinner bowled with snapping of the fingers?

I thought it naturally spins opposite to your stock ball but I think its just depends on the wrist. If balled out of the side of the hand it will spin stock-wise, back of the hand its a googly which is obvious.

When bowled out of the front its just a top spinning googly snapped out of the fingers.

Another couple of weeks and I might use it in a game, its slowly becoming demystified for me at least.
Generally it's a back-spinner. If you look around Youtube I think the videos by Warne, Jenner, The Kiwi leggie (can't remember his name at the moment) and a whole bunch of coaches only ever demo the back-spinner. All the others are as obscure as hell. I think Benaud's is bowled with 'Flying saucer' spin and there's one or two old vid's with him showing that technique. Out of the front of the hand which is a variation I bowl, I find it difficult, but that's a good one for me as it's the only ball I have that comes in to the right-hand bat and I bowl it so rarely it sometimes works. If you can get the one going with over-spin (Top-spin) that's the one that Grimmett coveted and reckoned he could get to spin more than a conventional top-spinner and would rush on to the batsman. In Ashley Malletts book "Clarrie Grimmett" I seem to remember he writes about Grimmetts top-spinning flipper and basically claims it's impossible to bowl and questions whether Grimmett ever bowled it.

I had a season where I worked on it and got it going, but it's really difficult and at the time I was bowling about 8 variations - none of which were accurate because there were too many to develop properly! But, if it comes natural to you, I guess it's up to you whether you feel it adds to your deception or is an improvement on your conventional top-spinner as Grimmett claimed?

I nailed the back-spinner over a couple of weeks pre-season, despite all the stories about how long it takes to develop. I think there's so many examples out there of what the back-spinning flipper is because of the internet, these days it's potentially just another variation. I just don't think there are coaches out there that even consider it. I'd recommend everyone to try the back-spinning flipper, because once you've mastered the length and technique, you can then start changing it up - back-spin with scrambled seam, cross seam and obviously seam up. Good to hear you're giving it a go, keep us posted on how it's going.

I have just been checking out this forum and amazed I hadn’t clocked this existed earlier, so thought I would say hello. Been bowling right arm wrist spin in club league cricket in England for 20 odd years and am no world beater but got a good idea of what I’m doing. Also am pretty obsessive which seems to be par for the course for wrist spinners…

Have seen some of Dave’s blogs before and checked out the YouTube vids on the different types of flippers which I thought was intriguing, so hello, and thanks!
Welcome aboard mate. Where in the UK are you?

I’ve found bowling a flipper seam up can be pretty devastating. If you keep practicing the wrist position you can get it to swing like a conventional seamer’s delivery; if the stock ball is a leg break an in swinging back spinner is very hard to play

Generally it's a back-spinner. If you look around Youtube I think the videos by Warne, Jenner, The Kiwi leggie (can't remember his name at the moment) and a whole bunch of coaches only ever demo the back-spinner. All the others are as obscure as hell. I think Benaud's is bowled with 'Flying saucer' spin and there's one or two old vid's with him showing that technique. Out of the front of the hand which is a variation I bowl, I find it difficult, but that's a good one for me as it's the only ball I have that comes in to the right-hand bat and I bowl it so rarely it sometimes works. If you can get the one going with over-spin (Top-spin) that's the one that Grimmett coveted and reckoned he could get to spin more than a conventional top-spinner and would rush on to the batsman. In Ashley Malletts book "Clarrie Grimmett" I seem to remember he writes about Grimmetts top-spinning flipper and basically claims it's impossible to bowl and questions whether Grimmett ever bowled it.

I had a season where I worked on it and got it going, but it's really difficult and at the time I was bowling about 8 variations - none of which were accurate because there were too many to develop properly! But, if it comes natural to you, I guess it's up to you whether you feel it adds to your deception or is an improvement on your conventional top-spinner as Grimmett claimed?

I nailed the back-spinner over a couple of weeks pre-season, despite all the stories about how long it takes to develop. I think there's so many examples out there of what the back-spinning flipper is because of the internet, these days it's potentially just another variation. I just don't think there are coaches out there that even consider it. I'd recommend everyone to try the back-spinning flipper, because once you've mastered the length and technique, you can then start changing it up - back-spin with scrambled seam, cross seam and obviously seam up. Good to hear you're giving it a go, keep us posted on how it's going.
SomeblokecalledDave. SomeblokecalledDave. Cheers mate that was very helpful.

I think the Flipper-Top spinner will take a lot of work to be accurate with. Im just going to focus on the back spinner.
Even tho my best delivery atm is the Philpot big legbreak (backspinner) similar to the Warne “Slider”(). However that ball spins heaps and doesn't go straight on like warne described it.
A AC222 Other benefits of that ball is that it can swing in the air sometimes, I was dumbfounded in a T20 game where I suddenly started bowling wides(my stock ball turns into the RHB) until I figured it out many games later. It almost looks like a seaming delivery.

While experimenting with the Flipper yesterday I came to the assumption that Rashid Khan is basically a flipper bowler, his stock and googly are flippers plus he bowls it so fast with a fast action no wonder it is hard to figure him out. If you look at his action he just uses his fingers and is squeezing the ball out of the hand. I only say this because the difference between a flipper stock & flipper googly is a slight change of the wrist angle. Realising this can be such a dangerous delivery if mastered for the short format of the game.

Ive started the hand grip trainers and forearm weight exercises again plus spent all day squeezing the ball out of the hand with only the middle finger and the thumb to strengthen the middle finger. So far so good. Ive found the forearm/hand grip exercises have helped my spin, obviously the action is way more important but this is a good supplement.

Why is Warne’s flipper spinning into the RHB?

Last edited:
There’s an interesting piece Sky Sports in the UK did with Rashid Khan where he bowls at Marcus Trescothick and then talks about his action afterwards. It’s on YouTube now. He seems to bowl out of the top of the hand using only his fingers to change the direction, but it does look like they might all be top spinning.

I have no data to back this up but it feels like elite batters are just getting better at picking him now though.

SomeblokecalledDave. SomeblokecalledDave. Cheers mate that was very helpful.

I think the Flipper-Top spinner will take a lot of work to be accurate with. Im just going to focus on the back spinner.
Even tho my best delivery atm is the Philpot big legbreak (backspinner) similar to the Warne “Slider”(). However that ball spins heaps and doesn't go straight on like warne described it.
A AC222 Other benefits of that ball is that it can swing in the air sometimes, I was dumbfounded in a T20 game where I suddenly started bowling wides(my stock ball turns into the RHB) until I figured it out many games later. It almost looks like a seaming delivery.

While experimenting with the Flipper yesterday I came to the assumption that Rashid Khan is basically a flipper bowler, his stock and googly are flippers plus he bowls it so fast with a fast action no wonder it is hard to figure him out. If you look at his action he just uses his fingers and is squeezing the ball out of the hand. I only say this because the difference between a flipper stock & flipper googly is a slight change of the wrist angle. Realising this can be such a dangerous delivery if mastered for the short format of the game.

Ive started the hand grip trainers and forearm weight exercises again plus spent all day squeezing the ball out of the hand with only the middle finger and the thumb to strengthen the middle finger. So far so good. Ive found the forearm/hand grip exercises have helped my spin, obviously the action is way more important but this is a good supplement.

Why is Warne’s flipper spinning into the RHB?

Slight offspin on warne's flipper

Slight offspin on warne's flipper
Yeah, so I was bowling it with the wrong wrist position, thats why mine was moving into the RHB.

So basically the orthodox Flipper (for discussion purposes the Warne flipper is orthodox to me) if bowled with the thumb facing the Batsman (back of the hand towards the bowlers face, thumb finishing off pointing towards the batsman) will always turn opposite to the stock ball (a googly).

The cool thing is that only a slight change in wrist angle and the flipper will spin in the same direction as the bowlers stock ball. I dont know how many degrees it is but if your thumb is pointed towards slips (thumb finishing off pointed towards slips) (instead of the batsman) the flipper will turn to your stock direction.

Weird that when I bowl a normal googly (not a flipper) I have to turn my hand until the full back of the hand is pointed towards the batsman.

Thats a huge difference in wrist angle to produce spin in the opposite direction. You could effectively just become a flipper bowler and turn it in all directions with slight adjustments in wrist angles and the batsmen will have a hard time differentiating between the deliveries.

Back