Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Bowled today. Bowled 6 overs and took 2/4 (2 wickets for 4 runs).

First wicket I went around thinking I could bowl the guy around his legs, first ball I pitch it outside legstump, and he played a nothing sort of shot and leg stump went out of the ground. In my final over, I bowled a top spin and knocked off stump out of the ground. I'm very happy with the way I bowled. If only they actually played shots instead of blocking.

We bowled em out for 55 and won by 38 runs.

There's an interesting point on this post about Kumble.

"He was never a leg-spinner anyway. He was a googly bowler - particularly in his early days. They make that kind of distinction in India and it says a lot about the way the nation regards spin bowling. In England there are two kinds of spinners - off-spinners and leg-spinners. In India they recognise that there are many ways to bowl spin and any of them can be successful."

Sean,
Congrats on getting good figures in the match..
I just now checked ur previous post on askng abt the field setting with reference to the diagram posted.
Can u revert back and explain the field setting applied by u for your 6 overs.

Virender

Virendersingh.berthwal;278190 said:
Sean,
Congrats on getting good figures in the match..
I just now checked ur previous post on askng abt the field setting with reference to the diagram posted.
Can u revert back and explain the field setting applied by u for your 6 overs.

Virender

I had a different field because the team was terrible. I'll post it later tonight.

I'm pretty sure this was my field. I can't quite remember.

Weekend.jpg

Sean,
Why did u had five fielders on the on side and 4 inculding slip on the off side. the field placing looks for an off spin bowling type..
I don't see a third man or atleast a deep cover fielder.

Virendersingh.berthwal;278608 said:
Sean,
Why did u had five fielders on the on side and 4 inculding slip on the off side. the field placing looks for an off spin bowling type..
I don't see a third man or atleast a deep cover fielder.

Mate, this team was terrible. They didn't play any shots at all and were only trying to block. Just remember this is juniors. I had to go around the wicket to try and get my wickets.

Short fine. To cut off the easy single. We have that for our spinners.

Did you get washed out tonight? Or do you play Saturdays?

Sean;278633 said:
Mate, this team was terrible. They didn't play any shots at all and were only trying to block. Just remember this is juniors. I had to go around the wicket to try and get my wickets.

OK...Best of Luck for the next match...

I've had a good practice today - check this out

Indoors whenever I can I've been spinning the ball all the time. Standing still and throwing the ball up with a big flick of the wrist I can make the ball turn Leg Break style massively. But all the evidence is that when I then try and convert this into a bowling action with a run up it all goes to pieces and this is what was happening in the summer when I played around with this. But recently I've been doing it and I'm just baffled that I seemingly can't incorporate the same wristy flick with turning my arm over?
This afternoon Ben and Joe went swimming so that allows me 1/2 an hour in a school playground up against a brick wall. So I took the stumps and 4 of my Hockey Balls with the intention of trying the flick with a run up and a bowl.
It worked! For the first time since last May or something when I had that flukey day with Thomas I was able to bowl good Leg Breaks! What I found was that it felt kind of jerky and a bit like it was happening in two distinct parts, but I'm not bothered how it might feel - the thing was it was spinning away towards the slips. Additionally when the last two fingers came into play it spun towards 2nd slip. I was able to do this over the whole of the half hour so this sounds very very promising. Also it was pretty accurate too - straight at the stumps bouncing and away and missing off - stump! So a very good session.

More to be found at Wrist Spin Bowling

Nice to know you're still working hard Dave!

My indoor season has been scuppered due to a fantastically annoying shoulder. Again its causing migranes when its moved, and again it cannot be moved after i've slept. So i've not played any sport in a month, which isn't good as i'm annoyingly hyper as my girlfriend keeps reminding me when i wind her up :p

I've got a hospital appointment tomorrow, so hopefully they'll get an MRI? or whatever, and have a look. Best thing would be this early in winter would be for it to be operated on now, rather than after the christmas, as i don't want to miss the start of next season. We'll see how it goes i suppose, might be nothin, but its a painful nothin.

Dave,

During the 'Off Season" practice; i concentrated more on my bowling action and pitching of the ball.
Now I am getting to bowl on target with good spin.
So keep on practicing with ur full run-up and working on the bowling action on the good length area.

Virender

That sounds like you may have torn your rotator cuff - is it muscular or a socket type of feeling? Have you posted to Liz Ward on here - she'll give you a most likely scenario opinion if you tell her what your symptoms are? From what I've read about serious rotator cuff damage is that it is quite severe and that it does require an operation to virtually take up the slack from where you tear the muscle. The tear tends to be (When it's severe) so bad that it can't fix properly it's like one of those elasticated luggage straps with the hooks on the end, if you over stretch them they eventually get damaged so that they have elasticity - it's kind of like that. The operation sort of takes up the slack and gives the muscle some or all of it's elasticity back.

Hope it's alright and you make a full recovery.

Virender I've had a disappointing day today where the practiced went bad again and I wasn't able to replicate what happened yesterday. I'm going to rest for a week and give it some thought - visualise what I'm supposed to do and keep flicking the ball all week but not bowl. I'm wondering whether it was because prior to the good day (Sat) I hadn't bowled in a whole week and maybe my reflex memory has eventually started to forget that the googly action and because I'm practcing the flick indoors it just came together?

More news and ideas from my main blog -

10th November

Been flicking the ball a lot and it does look as though I might be getting somewhere with the idea. I had one of the http://www.bigcricket.com/ lads contact me and leave a message today "Edlad" and he's put a really useful link up on the comments box which is very good and goes into some detail with regards Wrist Spin bowling. The most useful point for me at this juncture is the idea that you start off with just one step and bowl as part of the process of getting the action right. I'm thinking that if I can get the ball to turn massively to point from a standing position if I now work on the idea of doing the same thing with just one step hopefully it follows that the ball will still come out of my hand spinning in the right direction? The idea is that once you're comfortable with that you build up the steps one by one till you've got a full run in?
I reckon that this is brilliant if you're a kid and you can get a mate or someone (Your Dad) to throw the ball back to you and you can repeat it again and again and encourage you as you get it right, but on your own up against a wall it's a lot more difficult. Still I've got no other option so I shall just have to shut up and get on with it! Anyway here's the link....
http://static.ecb.co.uk/files/hitting-the-seam-issue-8-page-7-227.pdf

Reading through the text in the link I came across the idea that instead of going all out at the 22 yards you should start when trying something new over a much shorter distance. With this in mind I had a look at Peter Philpotts book and see what his take was on this as I recalled that he did advocate something pretty similar? In fact reading the link above it did feel as though many of the points in the article were basically what Peter Philpott advocates.

Philpott says to ignore the 22 yards and just do a short run up and bowl the ball. His take is that you need to feel comfortable with the run up and that it should be smooth. The distance and accuracy at this stage not an issue - the fact that it spins is the most important. As far as I'm concerned I think the one step at a time is the key to success so that's the approach I'll be taking.

What you need to do is stand with your feet apart as though you're in your delivery stride - a stand start, you can see this on youtube - YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video or type in David Freeman legspin coaching video. 3 mins 45 seconds in and you'll see Beau Casson Aussie Spinner going through this in a drill. (I actually think this is one of the better Leg Spin videos on the internet). He then talks in terms of lining up your shoulder, leading arm, feet hips towards the stumps. He says to have the hands up almost level with the head and rotating through the action bringing the back leg through ripping the ball as you go with explosive energy. The video then goes on to a 2 step approach, but for the minute I reckon this is what I should be looking at doing in conjunction with my wrist flick and see if this gives me any benefit? I'm going to be optimistic and say I reckon it will, I reckon with the abstension of bowling my reflex response is gradually being replaced by the Leg Break wrist action that I'm doing indoors. Because more and more I'm able and inclined to flick the ball so that the back of the hand faces my face as it passes over in the delivery. So who knows?

Later..........

After work at 20.45hrs I went over to the basket ball court and spent 40 mins there trying to put some of the stuff I've been pondering into practice. It worked! I went back to the technique where I just simply have my hand straight (Well that's how it feels) and as the arm goes over flick the wrist a bit but sort of make sure the "Down fingers" stay on the ball until the very last minute. This kind of translates into me turning flicking my wrist round and the hand coming down and dragging the fingers over the ball rotating it as it does into the spin. The degree to which this happens has a profound affect on the spin, when the drag and timing is right the spin and deviation off the bounce is far better, but you've only got to get it slightly wrong and you end up doing the classic dragging the ball down and it bounces about 11 yards in front of you. But if you get the flick and the release of the ball timed right it works a treat!

I think tonight I may have been getting it right because I used to work with a girl from New Zealand called Liz and she bowled Leg Breaks and was particularly good at it. I only faced her once and I think she bowled me in the nets, but she could turn the ball. But I remember asking her whether she bowled Flippers because I was suffering bruising in my fingers fron doing it so much and was asking whether she had the same problem, but she didn't bowl the Flipper. But she then went on to say that she got blisters on her spinning finger every year once she started to bowl again and it took time for her skin to harden up. Well tonight for the first time I've got soreness on that spinning finger suggesting that maybe for the first time I've been doing it correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back