2014/2015 Barclay Shield

I was driving down Grimshaw St today and was wondering with Bundoora Utd and Bundy so close... has there ever been discussions of a merger? Further to that was the original B.U. club a break away from Bundoora? Id love to know the history if anyone from the respective clubs know the story.

I was driving down Grimshaw St today and was wondering with Bundoora Utd and Bundy so close... has there ever been discussions of a merger? Further to that was the original B.U. club a break away from Bundoora? Id love to know the history if anyone from the respective clubs know the story.

Why would we merge just because we're close to each other? If all the clubs in our comp merged because they were close, we'd end up with half a dozen super teams and that would get boring real fast. Besides which, we're doing just fine without Bundoora and I'm sure they are doing fine without us.

As for United's origins, I think we originally started as a church based team and kinda grew from there. I know when I joined the club in 98-99, our 4's or 5's were a separate but linked team which I think was the last remaining remnants of our origins. WanderingUnity I'm sure knows more.

Why would we merge just because we're close to each other? If all the clubs in our comp merged because they were close, we'd end up with half a dozen super teams and that would get boring real fast. Besides which, we're doing just fine without Bundoora and I'm sure they are doing fine without us.

As for United's origins, I think we originally started as a church based team and kinda grew from there. I know when I joined the club in 98-99, our 4's or 5's were a separate but linked team which I think was the last remaining remnants of our origins. WanderingUnity I'm sure knows more.
I didnt say you should merge numnuts I asked whether there had ever been any talk of it thru history

There might have been some feelers put out there many years ago by Bundoora, I don't think its ever gotten beyond that in my time. Before 1998, I've no idea.

Plenty of talk, rumour and opinion over the history of both clubs, but I am sure that people in charge of each club at the time had egos and wanted to stay firm to the history of both clubs and remain, which is a good thing.
It is a very tough environment with 5 clubs in such close vicinity, but that is where rivalries are born and live on.

Most clubs have just started or are about to start so player movements should just about be done. Looks like a few teams have come up empty handed or had players leave and no one come in. Could be more of a fight to stay out of relegation than to make the finals.

Surely there is nothing left in the coffers Brutal!!! As the great Neville Bartos told Chopper "Cash? No cash here!!"
We had lunch with him last Christmas when he was out, no talk of money. Just play a bit of cricket with his brother who is just a jump of the fence from Research Park.

My mail at the time was after returning from the 1997 Ashes series he let on a few stories to his wife, who passed them on to the respective partners of the players involved. Needless to say he wasn't very popular.

In no way am i suggesting any of the Riverside boys would be prone to this sort of activity, good catholic boys that they are.
I think it happened after the 99 Windies tour...

Back