2014/2015 Barclay Shield

He was 10 metres away. If he can't make a decision from that distance, he shouldn't be umpiring. I think the doubt came into his mind when the batsman held his ground. In other words, not capable of making the decision himself. For the record I think the two best umps this year, and we've had them on more than one occasion, are David Moore and Paul Holzer. The former Diamo prez, Gerry has been good as well.

Merely pointing out where the benefit of the doubt is in laws of the game. In that respect the umpire has done the right thing. If anyone should be taking the fielders word, it is the opposition batsman, not the umpire. We've seen these in test cricket, if its inconclusive, batsman not out.

Interestingly, we had a similar situation in our game this week. Edge to the slips/gully, fielder claimed it straight away (honest guy too). With the slope of the ground away from the wicket it's hard for the umpire and mid on/off to tell if it carried. Batsman wasn't sure either, but took the word of the fielder, no controversy, no issue.

I think most people are in agreence that to give out an LBW on our pitches is very very difficult. I'm almost certain if you asked the umpiring fraturnity 3/4 would not know the rules to give out an LBW.

Can someone please tell the umpires maybe send a memo that if the ball pitches outside leg stump it's not out and likewise if the batsmen is hit outside the line it is also not out!!!!

Can't wait til season 2016-17 finals once plenty parks new surface is ready to go and the Barclay shield final is played back at the best grand final ground in the comp

I think most people are in agreence that to give out an LBW on our pitches is very very difficult. I'm almost certain if you asked the umpiring fraturnity 3/4 would not know the rules to give out an LBW.

Can someone please tell the umpires maybe send a memo that if the ball pitches outside leg stump it's not out and likewise if the batsmen is hit outside the line it is also not out!!!!

Can't wait til season 2016-17 finals once plenty parks new surface is ready to go and the Barclay shield final is played back at the best grand final ground in the comp

Aaaah, no.

Can someone please tell the umpires maybe send a memo that if the ball pitches outside leg stump it's not out and likewise if the batsmen is hit outside the line offering a shot it is also not out!!!!

Still think Eltham's ground is probably the best all round venue. Hurstbridge's surface is always fantastic and is also a good viewing ground, but doesn't have the scoreboard setup that eltham does, and is that bit less accessible.

Grounds with raised viewing areas make for the best atmosphere imo.

Evening peoples, long time since back here but have enjoyed the comments from afar.
So many things to say, so little time !!!!
I do like the positive so will start with the obvious, D'Creek, so many changes in personnel but still there, like how good is that ?

Tongs I know you read this so can I put in an early nomination for the Ray Christesen Medalist in Tom Maclean from DC.
And throw in Scott Gibbs for the John Gleeson Medal as both had awesome seasons.

But back to D'Creek, with what they have lost in personel yet they just keep winning. Even this round bowling out a contender in Rosanna for 75, like lets give credit where credit is due. A D'Creek vs Macleod semi final could well be the game of the year.
Plenty may well have there work cut out for them come the GF.

Evening peoples, long time since back here but have enjoyed the comments from afar.
So many things to say, so little time !!!!
I do like the positive so will start with the obvious, D'Creek, so many changes in personnel but still there, like how good is that ?

Tongs I know you read this so can I put in an early nomination for the Ray Christesen Medalist in Tom Maclean from DC.
And throw in Scott Gibbs for the John Gleeson Medal as both had awesome seasons.

But back to D'Creek, with what they have lost in personel yet they just keep winning. Even this round bowling out a contender in Rosanna for 75, like lets give credit where credit is due. A D'Creek vs Macleod semi final could well be the game of the year.
Plenty may well have there work cut out for them come the GF.

They may well have ended Rosanna's season!

DC will be perennial contenders for years to come, and like plenty have a number of guys plying their trade in higher cricket that they will hope will come back at stages to boost the side.

Not sure about the RC medalist call though. Campitelli and Hansen have been the stars this year for DC.

They may well have ended Rosanna's season!

DC will be perennial contenders for years to come, and like plenty have a number of guys plying their trade in higher cricket that they will hope will come back at stages to boost the side.

Not sure about the RC medalist call though. Campitelli and Hansen have been the stars this year for DC.

Not saying they're not worthy, but I'll take a stab and say that none of those mentioned will win it. Reasoning is that they've all had great seasons. MacLean has 377 runs and 20 catches (although they ever get rated in a mention), Campitelli 32 wickets and Hansen 28 wickets, they're all going to pinch votes off each other.

Usually going to go to someone who bats and bowls, or absolutely dominates their single craft, which I am not sure any of these 3 have.

Not saying they're not worthy, but I'll take a stab and say that none of those mentioned will win it. Reasoning is that they've all had great seasons. MacLean has 377 runs and 20 catches (although they ever get rated in a mention), Campitelli 32 wickets and Hansen 28 wickets, they're all going to pinch votes off each other.

Usually going to go to someone who bats and bowls, or absolutely dominates their single craft, which I am not sure any of these 3 have.

Agreed, no idea who will win as the DVCA hides the stats so its a pain to see who has had a big year. These things favour all rounders and bowlers who make the odd score and vice versa.

Malone
Still
Lever
Razaq
T. Wise

Should all poll well

Just a curious question as i am new to this comp and quite amazed at the high standard of cricket that dvca has set....how do we compared to other comps like for eg. eca(eastern cricket association) etc. or vsdca.

Thanks

Anyone want to pick a team of the year based on 9.5 games so far?

Tried to pick a balanced side, this is what I came up with:

Tom MCLEAN
Shannon MALONE
Mitch JOHNSON
Tim WISE
Steve VILLANI
Callum STILL
John BUBIS
Tom BURTON
Mick HANSEN
Luke CAMPITELLI
Scott SHELTON

Emg: Umar RAZAQ, Rob WISE

Probably missed a few blokes as can't get a good look at the stats on my cricket.

Didn't pick a captain cos I couldn't be stuffed thinking about it after picking the side took me ages.

I had a very brief look at your side, and decided I would do mine before looking at yours to see the difference.

1. T. McLean (Keeper)
2. M. Doyle
3. T. Wise
4. S. Malone
5. M. Johnson
6. T. Burton
7. C. Still
8. J. Bubis
9. M. Hanson
10.L. Campitelli
11.S. Shelton

Blokes that are stiff:
N. Curtin
B. O’Connor
U. Razaq
G. Turner

Just a curious question as i am new to this comp and quite amazed at the high standard of cricket that dvca has set....how do we compared to other comps like for eg. eca(eastern cricket association) etc. or vsdca.

Thanks

You can probably throw a blanket over most local comps. Comps like VSDCA, VTCA (top grade), DDCA are a little bit stronger, probably because they spend more money on their pros. They're all turf comps though, a better comparison is with RDCA, BHRDCA, NMCA and ECA synthetic. The guys making runs and taking wickets in the DVCA would all do the same in those comps.

Back