2014/2015 Barclay Shield

If I tipped someone else to win, you'd probably tell me I was being defeatist and a bad club man.

Tell me about it. Whenever I speak the truth about my club, Tongs' says I'm a bad clubman, 'who needs an opposition' etc.

When you say that your club is going to win flags he has a go at you.

If only we captained our team to relegation last year, captained our side to the bottom half of the ladder this year, averaged 15 with the bat and bowled pies to the disgust of our teammates, then we would get Tongs' seal of approval.

Tell me about it. Whenever I speak the truth about my club, Tongs' says I'm a bad clubman, 'who needs an opposition' etc.

When you say that your club is going to win flags he has a go at you.

If only we captained our team to relegation last year, captained our side to the bottom half of the ladder this year, averaged 15 with the bat and bowled pies to the disgust of our teammates, then we would get Tongs' seal of approval.

You're both equally the worst two posters on here when it comes to their own club. You've both a number of times bagged your own club on social media for all other clubs to see. Anyone with half a brain would know that is an awful look, and I know for a fact that both clubs hate the way you talk on here.

As I said, I am all for pumping up your own players and club, but when you're sitting equal 4th with 4 games to go in a very tight finishing season, I would not be saying we are going to win the flag. It may be best to just be quietly going about your business while the club got the job done. To then lose the next two, one being after being rolled for 60 odd, you need to expect to cop it.

At least Blackhawk has enough of a spine to cop his whack. You were your typical gutless self and ignored the fact that we beat you. Again. And like you've done again, deferred the topic and had a crack at me. Feel free to post your stats too.

Can I say something that might actually rock your world?

My name isn't Warwick Todd.

I don't have any relationship with Montmorency Cricket Club. I've never played for them, never been a member, never been a supporter.

Warwick Todd, the Montmorency cricketer is an elaborate internet persona. I play for a different DVCA club and I like to talk anonymously about DVCA cricket.

Last edited:
Can I say something that might actually rock your world?

My name isn't Warwick Todd.

I don't have any relationship with Montmorency Cricket Club. I've never played for them, never been a member, never been a supporter.

Warwick Todd, the Montmorency cricketer is an elaborate internet persona. I play for a different DVCA club and I like to talk anonymously about DVCA cricket.

You can try to distance yourself from Mont all you like....

Spare us the holier than thou attitude Tongs, you bag everyone and you're a moderator! Plus you run and particpate in the tipping contest. Oh no, you tip Eltham to win and Minney to make 100's, that's terrible, you're putting too much pressure on your side!

Do you know what statement was funny then, and is hilarious now? This quote:

"Bundoora United will win the flag" ~ Blackhawk 14/01/2015

Exactly 3 days before making the grand total of 68.

There's a team fighting for a finals spot in Barclay that got bowled out for 50 this year Tongs. You just never know........................

Well, barring some sort of disaster or some major heriocs, I'm tipping the semi finals to be the following:

PLENTY VS ROSANNA
DIAMOND CREEK VS MACLEOD

Tipping a Plenty vs Creek final

Well, barring some sort of disaster or some major heriocs, I'm tipping the semi finals to be the following:

PLENTY VS ROSANNA
DIAMOND CREEK VS MACLEOD

Tipping a Plenty vs Creek final

Plenty obviously the team to beat and ill tip them to get into the final reasonably easily. On paper, Diamo and Macleod look to be almost the exact same. But with Macleod in some pretty good form, ill take them in an upset just.

Reckon Riverside will sneak in ahead of Rosanna, just my opinion, don't shoot me

Not the silliest suggestion, but I can't see it happening.. Rosanna play Diamond Creek and Lower Eltham and would need to win one of them, and not get smashed in the other. Both of which should be hard games, although Lower seem to be a shadow of themselves, and with Burgoyne out for the year, I have Rosanna to beat Lower. This would mean Riverside need to win their last two.

Riverside play OPSF and Diamond Creek as well. You'd think they beat OPSF, and lose to Diamond Creek. So based on that, I have them missing by a game.

Not the silliest suggestion, but I can't see it happening.. Rosanna play Diamond Creek and Lower Eltham and would need to win one of them, and not get smashed in the other. Both of which should be hard games, although Lower seem to be a shadow of themselves, and with Burgoyne out for the year, I have Rosanna to beat Lower. This would mean Riverside need to win their last two.

Riverside play OPSF and Diamond Creek as well. You'd think they beat OPSF, and lose to Diamond Creek. So based on that, I have them missing by a game.

Picking Gedge to have a big impact in last game v Diamond Creek and bring home to chokkies

Have heard that at a BS club last night, discussions were had at training, and players have refused to play with their clubs assistant coach, and he was sacked last night. Not to return.

Can someone inform me if it is in the rules of cricket or a bylaw of the DVCA, that the batsman "must" be given the benefit of doubt? Apparently and umpire stated this when a batsman (rightfully) chose to hold his ground despite the fielder thinking and stating that he had taken a legal catch. When questioned as to why he did not take the fielders word, the umpire said the rules of cricket state that the batsman must be given the benefit of doubt. If someone can find that passage in the rules, can they please post it. This may rival the umpire who said a batsman cannot be given out under any circumstance if the ball pitches outside "off" stump. In future, perhaps it should be a prerequisite for umpires to know the basic laws of dismissal.

Who was the batsman ? ( obviously I had left by then )
On another note , winning the toss on a 35 degree day and deciding to bowl - what was he thinking ?

Who was the batsman ? ( obviously I had left by then )
On another note , winning the toss on a 35 degree day and deciding to bowl - what was he thinking ?
Timmy, Serg. No issue with Tim holding his ground, just over umpires who think they can make up rules that don't exist. A couple of outstanding umps doing Barclay, but the gap between them and the rest is a concern. The decision to bowl first was decided due to the fact that we had 5 ones players plus GT unavailable and our inabilty to post a defendable score and bat 50 overs let alone 80. The previous game v Plenty we batted 53 overs for 160 and Plenty were 0/112 off 27 at end of play. Effectively out of the contest. With the inexperienced side of 2x15yo and 3x19yo, the first thing we wanted to achieve was leave the field and not have the game over. 302 is a healthy score to chase, but I thought we bowled well enough and had opportunities to make that more like 200. Bottom line is if we are good enough and go about it the right way, we can pull off a win. If we had batted first, I doubt I'd be saying that.

I have watched a lot of games in Barclay over the past few years and , yes , the standard of umpiring is certainly not what it used to be.
In saying that , if that is all we have working for the dvca , we just have to put up with what we are dealt unfortunately.
Im actually thinking of offering my services in a few years time when the little ones are a bit older.
In relation to the decision , I guess the umps are there to adjudicate and not the players. If they havent seen a clear catch , then I guess the benefit of doubt would happen. I dont think there is a rule as such which would apply in these instances and if the ump did in fact say this they should pull out the book and show the applicable rule.
Ps - try not forget about the mac v research game on the show next week , some people are actually listening

Can someone inform me if it is in the rules of cricket or a bylaw of the DVCA, that the batsman "must" be given the benefit of doubt? Apparently and umpire stated this when a batsman (rightfully) chose to hold his ground despite the fielder thinking and stating that he had taken a legal catch. When questioned as to why he did not take the fielders word, the umpire said the rules of cricket state that the batsman must be given the benefit of doubt. If someone can find that passage in the rules, can they please post it. This may rival the umpire who said a batsman cannot be given out under any circumstance if the ball pitches outside "off" stump. In future, perhaps it should be a prerequisite for umpires to know the basic laws of dismissal.

Haha, now I've heard it all.

84 runs in 80 overs down at diamond creek. Sounds like riveting cricket....
Epping have suddenly come into calculations as well. A few clubs will be keeping an eye on that game

I can almost rival that Brutal. I was caught off what was a blinder, diving forwards an inch off the ground, and stood my ground in disbelief and then turned to the umpire to make sure that it was a fair catch. (It was, but I don't walk)

The umpire didn't give me out, to rub salt in the wound, he was standing there clapping the young kid who caught it. Haha

Whilst not a rule as such, if it's not a clear decision. I have no issues whatsoever with an umpire giving the batsmen the benefit of doubt.

Back