2014/2015 Barclay Shield

My 2 cents: If i need a bit of extra cash i will go hand my resume in to coles or woolworths. If i was a mediocre player i wouldnt wanna get paid. Having played cricket for a long time things you are sacrificing priceless things like team work and friendships you develope over time by changing clubs every 2 seasons for the sake of little extra cash. Obviously guys like austin, salm etc. are an exception, who have played at the highest level (premier 1s) but a B grade player getting paid is a joke.

Last edited:
What's the going rate for Blackhawks 1 B Grade run this year?

Hardy-har, yeh it was a solid 1. Dropped a sitter off WanderingUnity as well that game, was a match to forget. Funny thing is even though I only played 1 2nd XI game this year, I've still made more runs in our 2's than anyone else the last 3 seasons.

Hardy-har, yeh it was a solid 1. Dropped a sitter off WanderingUnity as well that game, was a match to forget. Funny thing is even though I only played 1 2nd XI game this year, I've still made more runs in our 2's than anyone else the last 3 seasons.
What's with the demotion this year then Blackhawk? Is this why you are happy to see the outgoing coach move on?? Can't argue with stats

I refuse to believe a club would go out and pay a player who has made 250 runs in 15 hits in B-grade. But if he can get paid, good luck to him, he's a genious. My club would never pay a player of that calibre, and I doubt Bundoora are going that badly at the moment. They might want him for free though, because he's a good filler, and young. But would likely move on after a couple of seasons.

Don't refuse to believe,just ask someone from Bundoora!

I made a hundred against my missus 4 years ago in the driveway, does that mean I get a Cricket Australia contract now?

So you played 1 game in B grade, made sfa and dropped a catch, and you wonder why you didn't play more games in that grade...............

Bad sign when you have committee members making public facebook announcements saying they are recruiting and to enquire within. Slime in serious trouble

I don't have an issue with that, nor do I see it as a bad sign? In this day and age, people are using any means possible to try to recruit. Social media is huge days, with people having so many connections with so many people. I would imagine that most of us would have friends, and friends of friends that stretch across a number of comps, and once a comment or like, it would then spread further.

I didn't see the actual post, but gone are the days where you advertise in a local paper (although some still do), and hope for phone calls. You need to put your club out there in every way possible. Social media is probably the easiest, widely used and cost efficient way of doing that. Although, not sure how successful it would be.

Don't refuse to believe,just ask someone from Bundoora!
Then the world has gone mad! I'd much rather play alongside ex Prem 1s players earning good coin, than a 22-23yr old journeyman who would be lucky to be getting a game getting payed a small sum (~1-2k maybe??). I hate to think that the culture of entitlement from getting paid to play local football would be filtering into local cricket. Cricket clubs don't have the turnover to be paying battlers like myself.

Then the world has gone mad! I'd much rather play alongside ex Prem 1s players earning good coin, than a 22-23yr old journeyman who would be lucky to be getting a game getting payed a small sum (~1-2k maybe??). I hate to think that the culture of entitlement from getting paid to play local football would be filtering into local cricket. Cricket clubs don't have the turnover to be paying battlers like myself.

As a star batsman and former A grade cricketer (even back when it was called A grade), I'm amazed at how some people are getting paid by clubs when they are mediocre cricketers at best. Toddy has never been paid a cent to play cricket. And I'm a lot better than some of the people asking (and getting!) money out of clubs.

I wonder how much longer lower grade cricketers are going to tolerate their subs and bar purchases being used to pay some very ordinary cricketers.

My 2 cents: If i need a bit of extra cash i will go hand my resume in to coles or woolworths. If i was a mediocre player i wouldnt wanna get paid. Having played cricket for a long time things you are sacrificing priceless things like team work and friendships you develope over time by changing clubs every 2 seasons for the sake of little extra cash. Obviously guys like austin, salm etc. are an exception, who have played at the highest level (premier 1s) but a B grade player getting paid is a joke.

I think that's the right sentiment. I work all week, the last thing I want to do is start working Saturdays. Besides, my already mediocre batting would go to water with the pressure of earning my money each week!

The biggest name is on the move from Geeensborough also!
And after only 1 year!

Mercenaries go where the best money is. That's the problem. If they have a stand out year, you're every chance of losing them.

Unfortuantely it is. My belief is that you should pay your coach, your captain and then any star/marquee signings that you attract to your club, not 22/23 year old list fillers that think they should be getting paid because they play a game in A grade.

If I put my hand out at my club when I was 23 I would have been told to f*** off.

But that's where things have changed, I wouldn't have put my hand out, kids these days have got no problem doing it.

Mercenaries go where the best money is. That's the problem. If they have a stand out year, you're every chance of losing them.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you are going to go chase and pay a player who may have been a mercenary, then don't cry when they turn their backs and do the same to you.

I guess its the chicken or egg debate. Is it the average players fault for leaving for money that they don't deserve, or is it the clubs fault for paying average players money to leave? Personally, I think it is the clubs fault for throwing coin around to get in players that are serviceable at best.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you are going to go chase and pay a player who may have been a mercenary, then don't cry when they turn their backs and do the same to you.

I guess its the chicken or egg debate. Is it the average players fault for leaving for money that they don't deserve, or is it the clubs fault for paying average players money to leave? Personally, I think it is the clubs fault for throwing coin around to get in players that are serviceable at best.

I don't blame the player, I'd personally never leave a club for money, not least because I know I shouldn't be payed to play. Some guys probably just enjoy the ego boost of being chased, and offered money.

I would say this, I don't reckon good cricket clubs lose many players to other clubs for a few thousand dollars. Maybe really strong clubs lose players who want more opportunity playing first XI cricket, that's different.
And Strong clubs don't pay mediocre cricketers, there is no long term benefit paying a mediocre cricketer to take the place of a junior. And as soon as you start paying a mediocre cricketer, everyone is entitled to put out their hands.

Pun was intended!

"Centre to leg" no not me,I'm just the Rev

I notice you haven't dismissed my mail either!

Can't confirm or deny what i do not know. Rightly or wrongly, I have little to no interest in what recruiting my club is doing at the moment. I have trust in the blokes appointed to concentrate on recruiting/retention to do the right thing by the cricket club. People can speculate as much as they like in terms of if people are getting paid and if so how much, it happens every other season so this year wont be any different...................

One thing i do know is the club are still puting time, money and resources into trying to attract as many kids as possible to play junior cricket. As Flacky has previously mentioned, lots of us fighting an uphill battle due to the vicinity of competing clubs and the general age demographic of the area.

If the club deviates away from this, then i will be concerned but having been involved in our milo & t20 blast the last 5 years i know this is not the case.

Hope the reply satisfies, enough from me. I will leave it to "Ex Prez" to give you a rundown on all our recruits and a detailed summary of their contracts, just so we can be transparent like everybody else :rolleyes:

Back