2014/2015 Barclay Shield

With the increasing size of my waist.... we're actually growing quite far apart!

Brilliant reply.

Simon, seeing as though people would rather speculate and throw accusations around. I will ask directly. Any idea's as to your movements next year? Are you staying on at the new juggernaut called Riverside, or moving on to have a challenge elsewhere?

Brilliant reply.

Simon, seeing as though people would rather speculate and throw accusations around. I will ask directly. Any idea's as to your movements next year? Are you staying on at the new juggernaut called Riverside, or moving on to have a challenge elsewhere?

Cheers mate, appreciate your directness.....really! I don't belong on this thread though. I'm a "mere B grade player" so I'm sure no one really cares where I end up! :rolleyes:

Cheers mate, appreciate your directness.....really! I don't belong on this thread though. I'm a "mere B grade player" so I'm sure no one really cares where I end up! :rolleyes:

"Where you end up", so you are leaving? ;) I am sure you still have plenty to offer a number of clubs. And like me, What you lack on field, we make up with canteen sales.

I'd have liked to shortnwide - but there's not many in the Valley that would vote for me! Which I will say, I've had a fair bit to do with; and I am sorry for.

I just want to enjoy my cricket again if I'm honest. Since captaining that GF side at Plenty, which was a great source of pride and passion for me- its fair to say that I have struggled to re-find desire...and form. It's been quite a frustrating and disappointing few years that's for sure.

I'd have liked to shortnwide - but there's not many in the Valley that would vote for me! Which I will say, I've had a fair bit to do with; and I am sorry for.

I just want to enjoy my cricket again if I'm honest. Since captaining that GF side at Plenty, which was a great source of pride and passion for me- its fair to say that I have struggled to re-find desire...and form. It's been quite a frustrating and disappointing few years that's for sure.

Jesus Christ mate, you haven't been talked about this much since you got the LE boys to rock up in slacks :D

Good luck to you mate. A change is as good as a holiday.

I just liked to get everyones thoughts on the difference in pitch widths in the DVCA.

I hate the fact that at grounds like Eltham (only an example) you can bowl balls two or more foot outside off stump for over after over and the umpire does nothing where the same delivery at a skinny pitch would be missing the green stuff all together and hence being called a no ball. (As a side issue how can an offside wide be called on any skinny pitch?)

Do we need to introduce ODI style 'tram tracks' to guide the umps to whether it should be called a wide?

I also believe that the wide pitches promote negative cricket.

Does anyone else feel the same about the pitches as myself or is just the fact my club has a skinny pitch and we cant employ negative bowling week in week out?

I just liked to get everyones thoughts on the difference in pitch widths in the DVCA.

I hate the fact that at grounds like Eltham (only an example) you can bowl balls two or more foot outside off stump for over after over and the umpire does nothing where the same delivery at a skinny pitch would be missing the green stuff all together and hence being called a no ball. (As a side issue how can an offside wide be called on any skinny pitch?)

Do we need to introduce ODI style 'tram tracks' to guide the umps to whether it should be called a wide?

Does anyone else feel the same about the pitches as myself or is just the fact my club has a skinny pitch and we cant employ negative bowling week in week out?
There could be an argument for standardised skinnier pitches. Might make sense at a Senior level but too restrictive at a junior level?

There could be an argument for standardised skinnier pitches. Might make sense at a Senior level but too restrictive at a junior level?
Agree its restrictive but the same principle applies! Kids who bowl on wider pitches are getting called less than kids bowling on thin pitches.
It wouldn't take much to spray paint two lines on the wide pitches indicating when the ball should be called a wide. Although with the standard of umpiring these days another thing for them to adjudicate on could be fraut with danger

Seriously good idea. There is an argument for teams being able to have a home ground advantage - Diamo know how to play their ground very well.
But I think that this idea has some merit. Speak to someone at your club and see if they can support it and take it to the DVCA. Surely in the 4-5-6 years that it will take to standardise the pile height of the pitches, all grounds / councils can widen the concrete for all pitches to be the same width.

Seriously good idea. There is an argument for teams being able to have a home ground advantage - Diamo know how to play their ground very well.
But I think that this idea has some merit. Speak to someone at your club and see if they can support it and take it to the DVCA. Surely in the 4-5-6 years that it will take to standardise the pile height of the pitches, all grounds / councils can widen the concrete for all pitches to be the same width.

Home ground advantage is just another myth in cricket. With regard to Diamo, if a visiting side can't work out where to bowl on a ground with 80 meter long square boundaries, they deserve to lose.

Widen, or dig up and relay? Sounds like you'd be asking for trouble adding to the sides of pitches if you get movement and if we think the councils will dislike the cost of relaying all the carpet, think about the duck egg they'd lay if you want them to put in a new pitch too. There is already a standard minimum width of 1.83m. Well I've never measured them but assuming all pitches within the competition comply, if it's such a big deal, just mark tram lines on the landing strips 1.83m apart at the return crease as a guide for the umpires. Problem solved without ripping up god knows how much concrete, although I don't think it's much of a problem.

Gee some people can get a bit hysterical with elements of the game. What's next, forcing Eltham college to not use a different grass because theirs is too thick? Everyone rope their grounds off so we all play on the same size ground as research? Everyone has to use the same bat?

Adjust. If you're even remotely half a good cricketer, you'll learn to broaden your game to adjust on grounds/pitches that Play a bit differently. Some would say that the wider pitches are closer to "real" size pitches, and the skinny ones are the incorrect size.

Teams will come up with strategies to win games. If you're not good enough to try to beat them, then you're not good enough. Don't blame the pitch.

Why don't you talk to your club about widening their pitch?

C CricketBox - before you go my jugular, I am with you on the actually all weather pitches, thats a different argument with abnormal bounce.

Gee some people can get a bit hysterical with elements of the game. What's next, forcing Eltham college to not use a different grass because theirs is too thick? Everyone rope their grounds off so we all play on the same size ground as research? Everyone has to use the same bat?

Adjust. If you're even remotely half a good cricketer, you'll learn to broaden your game to adjust on grounds/pitches that Play a bit differently. Some would say that the wider pitches are closer to "real" size pitches, and the skinny ones are the incorrect size.

Teams will come up with strategies to win games. If you're not good enough to try to beat them, then you're not good enough. Don't blame the pitch.

Why don't you talk to your club about widening their pitch?

C CricketBox - before you go my jugular, I am with you on the actually all weather pitches, thats a different argument with abnormal bounce.

I agree with pretty much all you're saying anyway mate. I've got no issue with width of pitch, never have.

Standard of umpiring and pitch surface however.............

Please don't give the totalitarians any ideas.

Back