Cmca 2012/13

*finals wins don't count* - Sugar, is that fact? Perhaps the CMCA should set out a criteria for the Club Championship. I agree with Clocker on this one. Wash Ups are more deserving given their post season success. From memory, BUCC failed to win a junior premiership as well? I think ESBC may have even claimed a junior flag or 2? Either side would be more deserving if the criteria was to include the ultimate success.

Brilliant clocker, Sky recorded the match and watched from the 90th minute onwards 5 times atleast and had shivers every single time......Augerooooooooooooo still rings in my mind. Vincent Kompany is the best player in the premier league ATM IMO.

Re: club champion I believe it is done on points for games won with Longmuir worth double?? So junior depth and senior depth matter so a club with 3 sides and a strong junior side are not going to threaten, is that right or wrong? Make you'r own mind up. What needs be established is what is the criteria ATM and in your own words or mind what should it be?

First question is then.
Q: Should club championship still be based on points per win within any grade in the club?
Secondly
Q: Should Longmuir recieve double points in club championship?

First question is then.
Q: Should club championship still be based on points per win within any grade in the club?
Secondly
Q: Should Longmuir recieve double points in club championship?

Brett, if you and others bothered to look the criteria for club championship it is in the rule book and has been the same for years.
Longmuir - multiply x 3.0
Woolnough - multipy x 2.7
Quiney - multipy x 2.4
D & E grade - multipy x 2.0
F & G - multipy x 1.7
H & I - multipy x 1.5

6 points for win multipy by factor gives you the points.
Whoever wins the club championship has the most points in the home and away season.

On that basis then UM does it underline the gap between BUCC?
After the clubs premierships and success in 2010-11 win the CC award to winning no premierships still making finals and holding ontô the CC award.
Like for example most clubs have a Club Champion award at season end for a individual, at BUCC that used to be open to all players in all grades but now only a 1st team player can win it as he represents the best player at the club!
It's a matter of perspective I guess, can go anyway really!
Australia is not a country that rewards mediocrity, we have a win at all cost culture which is respected across the world especially here in the UK.
What do we stand for if second best is good enough? A barrage from our own. Look at our Olympic performances and the backlash.

Cow corner if you re read my post I used (?) alot there for I was asking questions and not posting statements.

But Ty for informing us all of the points system.

Ok, now you are scaring me Brett. Yes must admit to a slight man crush on Mr Kompany.How good was that last match and how good was it looking at Ferguson's reaction.
Mal, read all of the posts in context then comment. Call it as I see it and yes they are a very good club and run by very good people. You have your work cut out this season so I would focus on trying to get back into Longy.Could be struggling though.
Straight Bat: Washington Park: Premiers Woolnough & Quiney, Semi Finalists E grade and Grand Finalists F grade. I suppose they should have won 4 flags.

No worries Clocker, keep calling it how you see it, however be open to others opinion of your context (crap). A flag in Wooly will be tough and so it should be otherwise you are not ready for Longy. We are more than focused and have lucked on some really good people. Man Crush? I’m sure it’s not your 1st nor your last.

Oh Mal. How typical of your homophobic generation. I hope this is not indicative of your club policy towards gay men, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Good to see the lads bitch slapped Chelsea last night in the Charity shield. They should have played it at Old Trafford to rub it in.

Based on CC’s analysis it seems that the Club Championship is a closed shop to the bigger clubs that can field 5 or 6 teams.

Some form of proportional representation could be the solution, or weighted points for an away win. First impressions though was that Washington definitely deserved the award.

Did you know: Since 1960-1961 season East Sandringham and Bentleigh Uniting have played off in two Longmuir (A Grade) Grand Finals with each team sharing the honours.
You would have thought that in 52 seasons their paths would have crossed more often.

No worries Clocker, keep calling it how you see it, however be open to others opinion of your context (crap). A flag in Wooly will be tough and so it should be otherwise you are not ready for Longy. We are more than focused and have lucked on some really good people. Man Crush? I’m sure it’s not your 1st nor your last.
Does anyone have an opinion on how the Washups should fare in Longy this year?

Very premature to be making such predictions, but I will put it out there for debate. More to follow in due course.

Mackie
There has been a changing of the guard of sorts down at the bowling club last season. A former Shark has taken over the reigns as Club President which will no doubt annoy many down at Shark land. Mackie acquitted themselves very well even threatening a finals position at various stages of the season. Three wins in the first 5 games as well as a very lucky draw against the hapless Sky Blues set their season up early. The Mackie veterans (Park brothers, Verrall, Bott, Kinsella and Buddha) are another year older and it will only get harder for them this season. Krotofil struggled last season. Whilst making one century against the Panthers early in the season he failed to make an impact for the remainder of the season and he was plagued by injury when he did play. No doubt the changing of the guard will continue this season, however with their seconds occupying the bottom rungs of C Grade for the past two years, I am not sure they have the quality coming through the ranks. Interestingly Mackie has once again shunned looking for outside talent to bolster their ranks. I suppose they should be congratulated as they are placing their trust in the up and coming players, however their list looks awfully unbalanced especially in the field. Their bowling is starting to look pedestrian, whilst their batting is too reliant on one player if they are to make a big score. Once again it would have been great to see Mackie meet their nemesis in West Bentleigh in the first match. It would have been a cracking opener, but not to be.

Mackie will be in survival mode this year and I would not be surprised to see them relegated.

Likely position: 12th

Budha: 288 runs @ 28.8
Dale Park 403 runs @ 36.6
Phil Verrall 158 runs @ 19.8
Craig Park 325 runs @ 36.1 15 wickets @ 26.9
Kinsella 14 wickets @ 20.8

West Bentleigh

The Cowboys have worked hard behind the scenes by installing a new revitalised committee whilst picking up a couple of new recruits. Very similar parallels between West Bentleigh and Mackie in that there is a changing of the guard of sorts. The club has relied on their stalwarts for many seasons and it is time for the next generation to step up. A crucial win in the opening round against the Sky Blues was encouraging however it all went pear shaped as the Cowboys lost 6 of their 7 games along with a draw. It was looking very ominous for them until they managed a strong performance against the Royals in Round 8 which gave them some breathing room. Their hoodoo over Mackie continued in Round 10 which ensured their Longmuir status. This season promises to be another battle for Longmuir survival. The Cowboys batting lacks depth and struggles once they are three or four down, whilst their bowling has been honest but too reliant on their stalwarts. The Cowboys relationship with the Bentleigh football club will hold them in good stead, and if the rumours are to be believed they have already signed up an opening bowler from a rival club.

Like Mackie, the Cowboys will be struggling and early wins are crucial.

Likely position 11th

Damien Casey: 254 @ 31.6
Ben Lydster: 249 @ 62.3 from 4 matches.
Chris Fidler: 308 @ 28.0
Carl Reid 12 wickets @ 20.7
Marc Reid 21 wickets @ 11.2

Elwood

Very disappointing 11/12 season ending with 3 draws and 2 wins and they failed to record a win at their fortress.The Beach Boys started the season with a win and a draw then lost 5 of the next 6 games with a draw being their only saving grace. Their batting was deplorable with 4 scores less than 120 and their highest score of 245 which was made against the Hoops and resulted in a loss and their lowest being 93 against the Spiders when they were chasing a very modest score of 132.
Bunting & Harris had forgettable seasons by their lofty standards and if it was not for CMCA player of the year De Haan, they could have been playing Woolnough this season.
A new coach on board and hopefully a more determined attitude is required from the Beachboys, otherwise they could be struggling to maintain their Longmuir status.

Harris: 115 @ 11.5
Bunting: 25 & 13 wickets @ 23.5
De Haan:13.7 & 37 @ 15.1
Jones: 190 @ 21.1
Tee: 324 @ 36.0

Likely position: 10th

Washington Park
They have finally returned to the big stage after 2 very entertaining seasons in Woolnough and are looking forward to making an impact in Longmuir.
New leader Swiv Heywood (when he is not moonlighting for Estonia????) will be gearing for a big season.
No doubt Sponge Bob and his fragile body is looking forward to another rigorous season and he will enjoy being back in the big league.
Considering that Washington were narrowly defeated by Chelsea Heights two seasons earlier in the Woolnough final, and their matches that season were all nail bitters, it would have been very entertaining to see the Wash Ups come up against Chelsea in round 1. Alas not to be. I still have reservations about Wash Ups attack as it will struggle and I suspect they will rely on a lot of part time bowlers nabbing wickets for them.
Their batting has depth and Longmuir will test a few of their players. Looking forward to seeing Verrall take to a few attacks although he may have to reign it in a little early in his innings.
They will need big scores to defend with their attack.
Jewell: 22.7
Dollman:39.7
Verrall:53.9
Heywood: 40.1
Spongebob:26.0

Likely position: 9th

Chelsea Heights

The Heighters incurred a baptism of fire in their inaugural season in Longmuir. With scores of 101 & 73 in their first two matches, it was looking like they were seriously out of their depth. Yet they showed some glimpses of what they could achieve. In Round 2 against Bentleigh Uniting they had the reigning champs reeling at 5/26 and there were mutterings of an upset and enquires with Sportsbet to see if there had been any late plunges placed upon the Heighters. Unfortunately for the Heighters, Bentleigh Uniting recovered and posted 9/250 and therein was the difference between Longmuir and Woolnough. Most Woolnough teams would not recover from 5/26 and it must have been disheartening at stumps to look at the scoreboard. The Heighters to their credit fought back in Round 3 and defeated the inconsistent Royals to post their first win in Longmuir. They proceeded to lose 4 for their next five games; with a draw giving them some valuable points. They were nearly odds on to be relegated. The round 9 encounter against the Sky blues promised to be a fierce encounter with both teams battling for their Longmuir status. The Heighters were positive and made a very competitive 210. Alas the Sky Blues never fired a shot in anger and were dismissed for a meekly 81. They followed it up with an impressive win against the Hoops posting a season high of 9/281 and finished the season on a high. To quote the most boring coach in AFL Ross Lyon, they ticked the boxes and survived so they were well satisfied. Chelsea has a lot of work ahead of them and need to stiffen up their batting as it was found wanting when the pressure was on last season. I expect an improvement as Chelsea has an excellent set up and a proactive committee.

Brad Lockhart: 258 @ 32.3
Shaun Ezard: 315 @ 35.0
Anthony Reid: 128 @ 25.6 (5 games)

Luke Shelton: 31 wickets @ 11.9
E. Uthayakumar: 17 @ 16.1

Likely position: 8th

Brighton Union

If I had guaranteed any skipper prior to last season that their club would score 201 or better in 7 of the 9 games they played out, then I am fairly certain most clubs would have jumped at that offer. Yet that is what happened to the Hoops. Scores of 203/250/201/248/278/219. After four rounds they had two wins a draw and a heart breaking loss to the Spiders after looking like they had made more than enough. Clearly the Hoops bowling was the problem and for some reason opposition teams enjoyed playing against them and taking them to the cleaners. If they can replicate their batting performance of last season then they are half way there; but the problem will still remain their bowling and lack of penetration. Do they over bowl their spinners as some have suggested or is it the case that after tea they tire and are vulnerable to opposition batsmen prepared to take them on? Cove has taken on the coaching duties and he has had an interrupted few seasons with debilitating back injuries. He is another year older and looks like he will have to carry the attack again this season. I envisage the Hoops will continue to make decent scores but their lack of bowling depth will be their biggest concern. The club had a very difficult season in the lower grades with all of their teams being at the receiving end of some hidings. Hopefully they have a couple of young ones tucked away ready to unleash.

Gregory: 377 @ 37.1
Kuzma 395 @ 39.5
Pothitos 267 @ 33.4 6 wickets @ 15.7
Covey 216 @ 27.0 & 15 wickets @ 26.0

Bell 12 wickets @ 39.3
Scorgie 9 wickets @ 31.6
Veitch 20 wickets @ 21.9
Waras/Carstensen 3 @ 33.3

Likely position: 7th

Great read Clocker. Can't argue with where you've placed us after last year but we've been quietly bubbling away in the preseason and we're confident of having a real crack this season -- especially as its our 40th anniversary year.

The only other thing you've written that I have an issue with is where you've said "To quote the most boring coach in AFL Ross Lyon..."

The man's a master.

Go Freo.

Hope you've all been well and I'm sure we're all very keen for cricket to get underway!

Fair preview Clock. As you said it's very hard at this time of year.
The final ladder standings will be influenced a lot by recruits and departures. I for one am looking forward to see who's gone out and got new players, and who's lost players in the off season.
We're pretty happy with our recruitment so far.
Will be watching Longy with great interest.

Fair preview Clock. As you said it's very hard at this time of year.
The final ladder standings will be influenced a lot by recruits and departures. I for one am looking forward to see who's gone out and got new players, and who's lost players in the off season.
We're pretty happy with our recruitment so far.
Will be watching Longy with great interest.

If the rumors are true about Gregory and J.W.C clocker may have to review Unions rating for this year. It would also make Omega flag favorites in Wooly. Word is pleanty of money being splashed around, three paid players???

Back