CMCA- Ommies to remain in top grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CMCA- Ommies to remain in top grade

Uncle Mick;306894 said:
Pretty easy to just pick the highest side on the ladder to win each game there, Clocker. I wouldn't think it'll be that simple. Definitely expect there'll be a few upsets. However, I do agree that East Sandy are in the most favourable position. With a few players missing in their 1st & 2nd XI sides in the next fortnight, any slip up could prove costly.

If that was the case then Hampton United would be in.Edi-Asp will be the fly in the ointment as they could derail a few teams.Who knows I might have put the mozz on Kingston Heath.If HU do make finals it would be a great effort.

Not so. If it were the case, East Sandy would win one less game and still make it. Anyway, tips for the weekend are:
In Longmuir:
Wests at home over Wash Ups
Union to upset the Elwood applecart
Le Page to sneak home in a nailbiter
East Sandy very easily in the Grand Final rematch
The Machine to bounce back over the in-form Uniting
ANA should account for the Redbacks

In Woolnough:
Cluden to roll ANA in a minor upset
East Sandy to start pushing for a finals berth over last year's premiers
Kingston comfortably over Hampton United
District to upset Union in the battel of the Brightons
Omega to roll Moorabbin West
and our boys should get the points over Southside.

Good luck on the weekend gents.

Huge round in Woolnough. East Sandy sit in 10th and are a realistic shot at a finals berth. Even after a disappointing loss, the door is well and truly open to them. Lock KH & MW for the top 2 spots. Union's upset loss leaves them vulnerable. The no result game might be their saving grace when it gets down to it. Next few weeks will be very interesting.

Longmuir results have made it very intersting in the top grade as well. ANA are now gone. Wash Ups will find it hard and Uniting can't really afford another slip up. Elwood may have peaked too early. With Mackie & East Sandy in their remaining games they're no certainty to play finals now.

Looking forward to a bumper few rounds of cricket to come in the top 2 grades.

Bentleigh ANA are proud to host the inaugural "Battle of Glen Eira" Twenty20 competition on Sunday, January 25th (Australia Day Long Weekend).

The competition consists of 4 clubs, being Bentleigh ANA, Bentleigh Uniting, Washington Park & West Bentleigh, with two knockout matches being played in the morning, followed by the final in the afternoon.

A junior Twenty20 match will also be conducted.

Drinks and food available at the canteen, including a daiquiri machine. ANA's poker tournament will follow for anyone interested.

Everyone is welcome.

Stealing some thunder there Sugar...? Much like Omega have the last Sunday in November, Mackie has held their $1,000 draw on the Australia Day weekend for as long as I've known. Good idea though. Hope it grows legs. The old Battle of Bayside used to be a good day's cricket.

Few more grey hair's in that mane of your's sprout up yesterday?

Uncle Mick;310160 said:
Few more grey hair's in that mane of your's sprout up yesterday?

As Rodney Dangerfield once said:

I don't have a problem with grey hair... ask any bald guy.

Sugar;311141 said:
The first edition of the Bentleigh ANA Cricket Show for 2009 is now able to be viewed via Youtube.

YouTube - BentleighANA's Channel

Like what you're doing here Sug, very informative (got the points on the ladder wrong though) but you need to jazz it up a bit with some rumours and innuendos.

Even just some good sledging that was heard over the weekend.

How competitive has the last few weeks of the Woolnough season been!
The last 3 games will throw up some more interesting results. Brighton Union are no longer certainties to make the finals and all the way down to 11th place on the ladder Brighton District who are now 3-5 (won last 3) are a mathematical chance of making the finals.
Big win by Highett West, Mick yesterday. Kingston Heath are defiantly beatable as u boys showed. Saw u made some runs. Kingston Heath and Moorabiin West the only safe bets for the finals. East Sandy has the best draw in the run home. Look forward to some more interesting results....

Very good win by Flahive and his boys, i played both West and Heath in practice games before this season started and i had the Heath streaks ahead of the Westers.
I don't know what Mick and his boys have done to bridge the gap but well done.

pdog pizza's;312185 said:
How competitive has the last few weeks of the Woolnough season been!
The last 3 games will throw up some more interesting results. Brighton Union are no longer certainties to make the finals and all the way down to 11th place on the ladder Brighton District who are now 3-5 (won last 3) are a mathematical chance of making the finals.
Big win by Highett West, Mick yesterday. Kingston Heath are defiantly beatable as u boys showed. Saw u made some runs. Kingston Heath and Moorabiin West the only safe bets for the finals. East Sandy has the best draw in the run home. Look forward to some more interesting results....

KH are an impressive bunch on & off the field. We were fortunate enough to expose the youth in their batting by picking up Morel (0) & Waltrich (27) cheaply. By far the most even side in the comp, but as we saw they can be beat.
A winless Southside defeating Union is a great result as well. As is Cluden over last year's premiers. Good luck picking the final 4 with the way things are going now.
I'd like to know what people's responses would have been at the start of the year if told Rd.9 Cluden v Brighton Dist would be a season defining game. I certainly would've chuckled. Fantastic for the comp. I think it shows how even it is.

And just a quick one on last round. Can anyone elaborate on the Union v District game? It's appearing as a disputed result on the mycricket website....

Fair enough. You didn't happen to be involved in the game on the weekend just gone by any chance? Pretty poor sportsmanship displayed by Districts I'm led to believe. Apparently they couldn't respect the honour system on the weekend. Especially after one of United's bats walked when he felt he may not have been out. Seemed like a good bunch to me, but it only takes one incident like this to earn a reputation.

Particularly when someone who wasn't even there wants to talk about it and treat rumours as gospel!

Some may see it as controversial but the fact was that when Hampton batted first a catch was taken that the fielder said he 100% caught and the umpire (Dennis) thought it was out too. The batsmen then accepted the decision.
When the Districts batsmen hit his he thought it had hit the ground then was grasp by the point fielder, who was probably unsure if it hit the ground or not but relieved that he took it somehow on the 2nd attempt. I spoke to Dennis after the game and he said he saw the same as what Randy the batsmen had and that it had hit the ground...
When in doubt u have to give it not out which is what happened.

In situation 1- the umpire thought it was out
In situation 2- the umpire thought it hit the ground.....if unsure NOT OUT!

Uncle Mick;313212 said:
Fair enough. You didn't happen to be involved in the game on the weekend just gone by any chance? Pretty poor sportsmanship displayed by Districts I'm led to believe. Apparently they couldn't respect the honour system on the weekend. Especially after one of United's bats walked when he felt he may not have been out. Seemed like a good bunch to me, but it only takes one incident like this to earn a reputation.

"Only takes one inicident to earn a reputation"... particularly when that incident gets discussed on the web by people who weren't there and treat innuendo as fact.

I wouldn't consider it innuendo when it came from the horse's mouth, Adam. Nor would I be foolish enough to discuss it on the web without hearing it from a reliable source. It would appear that the opposing parties share different views. The folk at Hampton are disappointed that their man walked on the word of the fielder and when the "favour" could have been returned, it wasn't.

Essentially, it begs the question as to why we should bother with the honour system if there are those who aren't prepared to take the word of the opposition? In fact, given the results in Woolnough sees a wide open finals race, perhaps it's worth the captain's discussing it prior to the remaining rounds before each game, to avoid any ill-filling if the situation were to occur again. Food for thought.

Is this not what an umpire is paid to do? Make a decision?

Happened to me in the Prelim last year. I was sure I caught it, Steve Worker to his credit, took my word and began to walk, before the umpire (whose last name begins with S) called him back as he "wasn't sure" I did. I was at mid on, no more than 5 mtrs from the ump, and he still "wasn't sure" even though both myself and the batsman were happy enough. Left a nasty taste in the mouth as it implied that I was a liar, which in my line of work, would see me in a bit of strife if I made a habit of it! Not that I am bitter about it! :rolleyes:

Haven't seen that umpire again this year. But I suppose at least he made a decision, it's just when all players are sure that something occurred and for it to be overturned due to 1 person not being sure. :confused:

Makes it hard to promote the "honesty" system, when it is not considered by those officiating!

If a batsman walks then any umpire should keep out of it. If he holds his ground then the umpire makes the call. What happens when a batsman snicks one and just walks off? Does the umpire chase him and order him back because he did not think it was out? Interesting blog from the the VTCA site re a decision.

he cut one behind point and came back for two, as he approached the crease the keeper knocked one bail off without the ball and then took the ball and dislodged the other bail after.the umpire at square leg admitted being unsighted but could see a bail on the ground and assumed both bails were off and immediately gave the batsmen not out.then, jodi hutchinson carried on saying there was one bail still on and that the player can still be run out.the square leg confirmed with the central umpire that the bail was still on and gave the batsmen out over a minute after giving him not out..
the question has to be asked how can he give that player out when he admitted he couldnt see the stumps being broken,how could he tell the batsmen was out of his ground at the time the second bail came off if he admitted he couldnt see the stumps at all????
if any doubt the decision has to favor the batsmen and in this case their was plenty of doubt.
it was poorly handled and the umpires were blatantly talked into giving him out because it was an ex district player ranting and raving at them.

The next ball was not bowled - but the bowler was at his mark and the batsmen was facing up. The square leg umpire, if in doubt should have spoken to the central umpire immediately (as they do if they question a catch carrying etc). This was not done - Instead, he gave it not out and play was to continue. It wasnt until the captain spoke to the central umpire, that the umpires conferred. Then, square leg CHANGED his decision. Therefore, he had no doubt it was not out - but was forced to change his decision when the captain complained. If the umpires confer straight away to discuss whatever doubt there is, fair enough, but i dont see how the central umpire can have input to make square leg change his mind.

It would seem conceivable that an umpire may not realise a bail was still lodged yet the central umpire confirmed one was. If the square leg umpire was sure the batsman was short of his ground, but thought the bails had already been dislodged then there doesn't really seem to be an issue - other than making a decision and reversing it on the fieldsman/captain's word.
Wouldn't be the first time we've seen an umpire make a decision and overturn it on the fieldsman's word. It's more often a case of a boundary than a dismissal, but much the same as what normally happens when a boundary is struck, the fielder has brought attention to a fact the umpire was unaware of - in this instance that the bail was still lodged. A consultation with the central umpire confirmed this and thus his decision was reversed.
The fuss might have more to do with the way it all transpired and/or the potential impact it had on the result. The square leg shoud've consulted the central. My guess is he was either too proud to reverse his decision on the fielder's word, or was unaware he had the option of conferring with the central.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back